Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Happy to be here!
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far my sleep system is the Achilles heel of my get home bag. The longer you compress down or synthetic fill the less effective it is at re-lofting and keeping you warm when you need it. Wool and fleece don't compress/ pack well. It's not practical to have an uncompressed sleeping bag in my vehicle and a wool or polyester blanket that's warm enough to see me through a winter night would be huge and unpackable. I know some of you guys are going to say that you're not going to sleep, just fast pack it all the way home. Well, what if you're 60 miles from the house? What's the solution here fellas? The only thing I can come up with is a Siberian log fire, but that's not too stealthy.

·
reluctant sinner
20,472 Posts
3 season its a light weight synthetic bag with a grabber space blanket. I just got one with a hood in the corner so it can be worn a long hoodie - haven't tried it yet. I usually have one or two of those $2 thin mylar blankets to lay of sit at breaks - they are noisy and fragile

·
Registered
236 Posts
So far my sleep system is the Achilles heel of my get home bag. The longer you compress down or synthetic fill the less effective it is at re-lofting and keeping you warm when you need it. Wool and fleece don't compress/ pack well. It's not practical to have an uncompressed sleeping bag in my vehicle and a wool or polyester blanket that's warm enough to see me through a winter night would be huge and unpackable. I know some of you guys are going to say that you're not going to sleep, just fast pack it all the way home. Well, what if you're 60 miles from the house? What's the solution here fellas? The only thing I can come up with is a Siberian log fire, but that's not too stealthy.
What season are we talking? Geographical region? Soe parts of the country a poncho liner is all you need. Other parts, you'd be crazy for going out with anything less than a 0 degree bag. I keep wool blankets in the car. The sleeping bags stay in the house, although I have an old military summer weight bag in a duffel by an upstairs window along with other stuff if I have to leave the house quickly....

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I don't know, can you? I have concerns about trashing one of my expensive down bags doing that.

I also hear a lot of three seasons talk. What about the fourth season?
I don’t know, I don’t own a down bag. Just wondered if that would work, if you never left it rolled up long enough to adversely affect it. My buddy in junior high and high school had a down bag he was unreasonably proud of, down bag this, down bag that, the whole time we were camping. Down bag, down bag. He would put his in the dryer and tumble it with no heat.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I have two tarps in my pack year-round. 2 layers, inside layer is that space blanket stuff, outer layer is OD green polyester. A little heavy, but pretty warm. In winter I put in a thick wool sweater, balaclava, wool this, wool that. I have the most expensive coat I could afford strapped to the bottom of my pack, rolls up pretty small. No sleeping bag. I could make it a few nights, but my pack sure is heavier in winter.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,678 Posts
I still own a down bag purchased in 1988s. Storing it in a stuff sack does not destroy the loft like it does for modern synthetics.
My old style polarguard bag purchased in 1983, and modern Lamonite (Wiggy) do not stuff tightly, but they also survive being stored in a sack
My advise is to start with a MSS bivy sack, and a patrol bag (either military or Wiggys), then add extra insulation as needed. A heavy fleese parka works for extra insulation.

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,836 Posts
My GHB has a tarp (w/stakes and 550 cord), space blankets, and my old USGI issued poncho & woobie, and a bivy bag. Quick and easy to set up for the night.

·
reluctant sinner
20,472 Posts
I tend dress light even in winter, Beanie, tee shirt shorts, hoodie and boots and gloves. The winter GHB is in an Army issue duffle bag with shoulder straps. 0 degree polar guard bag, wool socks, long johns, parka, complete change of clothes, a thermorest, more hi calorie food, a 1 burner Military gasoline stove, and a pot, 2 grabber blankets, lip balm, googles, bandana's, trekking poles, 2 industrial trash sacks and some other stuff. I have seen -30 at my house in some years.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts