Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,454 Posts
While hiking? It's supposed to be specifically about "wilderness use". The OP stated that he sees the use in house and town.

Well, the Rebar I think is one of the better choices for wilderness use. Light, compact, and has the saw and awl. Here is a guy's video showing why he thinks the Rebar is the right fit for his camping needs. You can skip to the 2 minute mark if in a hurry.
It lacks the scissors, so you would want to carry some scissors for fingernaiils etc, like wiht a Victorinox mini champ or a Leatherman style CS.

Regarding his use of the saw, he just needed to find a tree with a Y branch to help hold the wood he is cutting, or otherwise rig up some sort of simple vise.

·
Only politics *****.
5,506 Posts
I've gone on the leatherman site to see what they have, and have to say none of the multitools appeal to me for outdoors use. Closest would be the signal, since the "hammer" can be used to knock in some tent pegs.

I'll stick to my Victorinox Camper (knife, small knife, saw, awl, openers, toothpick/tweezers) combined with Victorinox wooden nailclipper knife (small knife, nailfile, clippers, scissors). Not found anything i couldn't do with that combination. Have a Victorinox RangerWood i can use too, for if i want a bit of a larger knife/saw. Basically the same as the camper, without the toothpick/tweezers.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Original leatherman every day. I buy any decent original leatherman from my friends pawn shop when they come in. I am a locksmith.
I use:
The pliers every day for multiple things (today was pull a nail out of a door jamb, remove the retainer clip on the mailbox lock that holds it in the door, and loosen and tighten the nut that holds the tailpiece on it, bend tab on the strike plate.
The flathead screwdriver to turn the mailbox lock mentioned above after I drilled it.
The knife most days to cut tape on boxes or cut open hardware or instructions bags.
The file most days to touch up keys (especially the the tip of keys that people have obviously repeatedly dropped.
I use it a lot...usually wear one out every two years or so.
I am a locksmith too. What city you from? Do you do automotive ? I use mine to file on keys all the time

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have always carried a small knife in my pocket. Others carried sheath or big Buck knives, but my knife was for cutting a box, line, rope, etc. What amazes me is that these days, even the smallest Swiss army knife(not much more than a personal care kit) is not normally carried anymore. Getting on a plane, going to traffic court will get these taken from you. I watched as a bus driver was telling an old lady that her little sewing project was upsetting other passengers because of the tiny scissors and the sharp needles, seam ripper and crochet hooks. God help us if she was knitting.
So now when grandma gets on a Greyhound Bus or an Amtrak train, she can't even occupy her time with a constructive hobby. This P.C. crap has got to end.
Being able to open up a package or a present, remove a splinter, clip your nails, fix a hangnail or even have a plastic toothpick is normal, this does not make me a terrorist.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,290 Posts
I have to agree about a multi tool's use in the woods. I use it a LOT in the city, but have never done anything with it camping that I couldn't have done with my knife. However, in a bug out situation, the versatility is worth the tiny amount of added weight. Just having pliers may be useful in many situations. I don't take the multi tool when camping anymore, but it's a permanent part of my bug out gear.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
The multitool and the swiss army knife are two tools that are for hard times, because they have limitations that keep 'em from being the best choice in regular situations. But both of 'em are worth their weight in PMs when they are what you have, without other options.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
For collecting is about all .I have 7 or 8 I got from the airport where they are confiscated from people taking them on aircraft. They sell them for charity at 1/10 the retail value. I got about 10 Swiss Army knives and 1 good SOG folder. Yeah I tried a few of them at work and was not impressed. Jack of all trade master of none type tools.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
I'm confused... So many here advocate not carrying everything you might need.
Since this is an outdoors sub-forum, I think there still requires some distinctions. Trail backpacking is different from camping, and doing more remote backcountry trips are also a different aspect. For much of my backpacking, I do have to watch the grams/ounces as we are spending more time on the trail with the pack on than sitting around a campfire doing bushcraft. Still, I’ve found the needs for a small multitool. First, I don’t need it for a blade. I do like scissors, and even a small pliers head comes in handy at times with a hot pot, pulling out a larger thorn, or tightening the bolt on my pack suspension/frame (Seek Outside uses a hybrid external frame).

If I was doing something in the backcountry that is more remote, I would be traveling slower and be a little more cautious. I would like something a little bigger and more versatile; just my reasoning. So far the best compromise has been SOG’s little PowerPoint.

For my get-home/EDC multitool (not really outdoors unless I’m hiking in just a short distance to practice bushcraft, fishing, etc.), I really like the Victorinox Spirit.

Vic Spirit: 9.8oz

SOG PowerPint: 4.2oz

Leatherman PS: 1.45oz

I’ve been doing this stuff for years. You simply can’t carry every contingency, or pack every “what-if” in your pack. You don’t backpack, do remote hunting, or backcountry treks very often if that’s what you think. There is a balance of managing risk, making smart decisions, and experienced planning. There are probably only four or five items I pack that are rarely if never used, but they do provide me some mental comfort when distance backpacking. There are another half-dozen items I pack that I could do without, but they offer utility, multi-use, and make some things just more efficient. I don’t backpack with a CAT, but I have one with my backcountry and hunting kit. In fact my backpacking First Aid Kit weighs just a few ounces and surprisingly I’ve survived a couple thousand miles of backpacking…

As mentioned, I carry some little-used items. Most backpackers don’t even carry a knife or if they do, it’s something like the SAK Classic. I made the decision years ago to always have a fixed blade. While my Spyderco Dragonfly is the most used, my second most used is that little Leatherman PS.

[/URL
]

ROCK6

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,611 Posts
I don't go anywhere without a Leatherman of some kind or another. (except airplanes, but always in a checked bag.)

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
The multitool and the swiss army knife are two tools that are for hard times, because they have limitations that keep 'em from being the best choice in regular situations. But both of 'em are worth their weight in PMs when they are what you have, without other options.
Similar thoughts here. I have multitools handy almost all the time. Mostly Leatherman WingMans. But I rarely use them for anything.

Only because my current life pretty much has me near home, my shop and my vehicle and all these places have bigger, better tools available to do the things I run into. My pocket knife does see constant use, though.

However, if I had to strike out on foot into the wilds I am sure I would find many uses for the multitools.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,611 Posts
I use the scissors and knife almost daily. The pliers come in handy a lot. Seldom use the screwdrivers. The eyeglass screwdriver on my Wave is a lifesaver.
The Supertool will cut fence wire and the can opener is also handy in a pinch. I have used the awl for boot and belt repair.

·
reluctant sinner
17,013 Posts
A quote from my favorite gunsmith Jack, if you have your pants on you should have a pocket knife. Myself I wear 3 flashlights all different (2 with batteries and one rechargeable) on my dogtag chain 24/7/365. If I leave my porch I have a pistol, a walking stick and a multi-tool plus a lighter and usually some water.

The alice clips addition to the Leatherman sheath's make it easy to change to other belts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to agree about a multi tool's use in the woods. I use it a LOT in the city, but have never done anything with it camping that I couldn't have done with my knife. However, in a bug out situation, the versatility is worth the tiny amount of added weight. Just having pliers may be useful in many situations. I don't take the multi tool when camping anymore, but it's a permanent part of my bug out gear.
Same here.:D

·
Banned
39 Posts
if you have the right multitool, they are very useful. I use the gerber, with a small file, visegrip, 3 saw blades to be held by the visegrip and a small cold chisel. on the outside of my BOB, I have the blade of a Cold steel shovel. I can make any length or shape of handle I need for it. Cops check me out all the time when I'm hiking and never bat an eye at the shovel. That would not be true of a machete, hatchet or kukri, I assure you!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
if you have the right multitool, they are very useful. I use the gerber, with a small file, visegrip, 3 saw blades to be held by the visegrip and a small cold chisel. on the outside of my BOB, I have the blade of a Cold steel shovel. I can make any length or shape of handle I need for it. Cops check me out all the time when I'm hiking and never bat an eye at the shovel. That would not be true of a machete, hatchet or kukri, I assure you!
Thanks.

What tasks do you do with your multi tool?

·
Banned
39 Posts
I sometimes use the chisel and/or saw for notching, I use the visegrip for holding the saw blades. The Crunch multitool is what I"ve modified for the Alone show, if I ever get on it, but it's expensive. I cut wire, fillet fish, etc. I modified the tool so that I can take it apart with my bare hands, letting me sharpen the knife blade with the file. I drill holes with the awl blade, when I make handles for the shovel. I modified one screwdriver blade to be a gouge and scoop knife. i think that if you carry one and do much bushcrafting, you'll find used for the other blades. I dont bother to carry a belt knife at all. I use the Shovel, without a handle as a "big-knife", chopper, trowel, prybar, etc. I"m considerably more paranoid than most people. I keep a lock-aid "gun" in the BOB and the Crunch is an excellent wire-cutter.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts