Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please note this is the wilderness sub forum. I get why we carry them around house and town.

In my water bottle thread, i received the recommendation to use a multi tool to remove bottle from fire.

I don't use a multi till in the woods but the suggestion got me thinking...

What examples can you share of using one? I'm not asking what you use, but what tasks you use them for?

Thanks!

·
Only politics *****.
5,506 Posts
I don't. When on a hike or camping, it's just too much weight for what it brings to the table. You can do most of what you'd use a multi tool for, with something like a Victorinox. Atleast, i'm not planning on suddenly want to do electrical work or suddenly need a metal file when out and about. Haven't really needed a screwdriver or wrench or pliers while camping either. Nor am i planning on cooking water in my water bottle, i have a stove and a pot for that.
Hell, even the swiss army knife isn't really needed, Aslong as you have a decent knife on you, there's not really a use for a multitool, other than a use you find for it specifically (as opposed to actually thinking: if only i had a multitool here over a knife). I actually use the nailclipper on my small knife which is attached to my keys the most :p.
Just my experience.

As you say: In urban environments, or rural, when you're working on something or repairing something or moving about on your property if it's bigger, they are priceless for their versatility/weight/bulk ratio. Though actual right tool for the right job will always be better, you'll be able to do most things you want with a multitool. In the outdoors under normal non SHTF scenario's, not that much.
Edit: actually, the only thing i'd see a use for outdoors, is in a fishing kit.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,454 Posts
Just for the sake of argument, I will list a few possibilities, but I agree a multitool is pretty much dead weight in the woods.

If you come across an abandoned car-bike, etc and you want to disassemble some parts for survival uses. wiring, the battery, a light.

If you find some wire and want to make some snares, cutting the wire and making some tight wire loops would be easier with a multitool.

If you need to put a couple stitches in a backpack, a sewing awl is useful.

Building a figure 4 primative trap, the little saw and knives would be handy to make the various parts.

If you have a scoped rifle and the scope mount screws come loose, it would be useful.

If you have a commercially bought fishing pole and reel, you might use a tool now and then to snug up the mounting or repair the reel.
You can tie a fly using the pliers as a fly tying vise.

If you get a hangnail or ingrown nail on hand or foot, those little scissors might be helpful.

If you bring a few wood screws along, you can screw them into a tree or whatever, maybe to secure a squirrel pole, or a clothes line. Or you might screw a trap to a tree so it doesn't disappear , dragged by some critter.

If you have any mechanical stuff with you, it might need repairs, like a stove or something.

A good Victorinox swiss army knife like the Champ model, can do many of these things.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
I took mine camping the other day ( tue-thu). I was glad I had it. I carried a large knife ( esee jungalas 2 ) small fixed blade ( esee 3) and my leather man free. I used all three. But I could have done everything with just the jungalas and the leatherman.

The big knife was great for breaking up firewood, although I might have rather had a hatchet so I could have had a hammer for tent pegs. I certainly couldn’t have easily split the wood with the MT or esee 3.

The esee 3 was mostly a food prep knife as I didn’t do any wood working. I could have done everything with the MT however had I been really fishing instead of play fishing with the kids , I would have wanted the esee to prep the fish for cooking.

As for the leathe

Used the scissors to open food packaging and cut fishing line.

Used the wire cutters to cut a hook that was stuck in my daughters clothing

used the pliers to crimp on fishing weights.

used pliers to remove thorns from kids clothing and in one case my skin.

Used pliers to bend metal tent peg.

used bottle opener to open bottle.

In the past I’ve used the smallest screwdriver to fix my glasses. I’ve used screwdrivers to do work to my guns, optics and cases. And I’ve used the can opener to open cans. The pry bar is super useful for all kinds of things and prevents you from trying to do them with your knife , and damaging it.

overall I think a MT is well worth it , esp if any fishing , hunting or maybe trapping( I’m no expert ) is likely on the trip. .

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,311 Posts
IF ANYONE is worried about the "extra weight" burden of a good Swiss Army knife or a leatherman or such.. maybe instead of heading off on a hike you should spend more time in the gym... just say'n.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
IF ANYONE is worried about the "extra weight" burden of a good Swiss Army knife or a leatherman or such.. maybe instead of heading off on a hike you should spend more time in the gym... just say'n.
Yea really. That extra 2 ounces is going to break you walking from the tent to the beer cooler.

I can understand guys like my stepdad who go on hikes where they cover 60 plus miles in three days. He has to watch every ounce and doesn’t even take anything to cook with , dry food only. But for anybody else going to the woods it sounds silly. They have this fantasy of surviving SHTF with a 20 pound pack, wondering through the woods eating nuts and berries.

also didn’t an SB member win ALONE with a multi-tool a few years back ?

·
Only politics *****.
5,506 Posts
Yea really. That extra 2 ounces is going to break you walking from the tent to the beer cooler.

I can understand guys like my stepdad who go on hikes where they cover 60 plus miles in three days. He has to watch every ounce and doesn’t even take anything to cook with , dry food only. But for anybody else going to the woods it sounds silly. They have this fantasy of surviving SHTF with a 20 pound pack, wondering through the woods eating nuts and berries.

also didn’t an SB member win ALONE with a multi-tool a few years back ?
It's just the other way around in how i look at it.
Personally, i don't think i'll be surviving on a 20 pound pack. I think i'm going on a hike and i already ruined my back carrying too much heavy crap, and my shoulder in a motorcycle accident. No need to take something i'm not going to use. Like i said, i don't need screwdrivers and pliers and wirestrippers and bit drivers and all those kinds of things when i'm going on a hike ;). A small knife does everything i need, and will for most people (other than people going fishing, or trapping i guess). Unless someone's one of those who plan to take their multitool out and who are planning to survive on their 36hr bag which they took camping with a multitool in case suddenly a war springs up and they need to quickly repair a radio or whatever to get home in the wilds.

Things add up. Though i'll agree that the tent to beer cooler people probably have more use of it, and won't notice the extra weight. ;)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What a disingenuous response. How about you list tasks that only the multi tool can do that your knife cannot.

why carry something you don't use? How do you use yours?

·
Curmudgeon
1,717 Posts
Apples and oranges. If you carry it, you'll use it. If you truly don't use it, you didn't need it. I use mine every day. And although I've bought 20 different ones (Gerber, SOG, smaller Leatherman) I still wind up with my original Leatherman SuperTool, (Patent Pending).

I think a lot of folks loose sight of what the intent of a multi-tool is. If you carry a multi-tool along with a pocketknife, Cresent wrench, screw driver et al, odds are your multi-tool won't get used very much. But if that's all you carry, its much more useful. Its intended purpose is to fulfill a variety of needs with a single compact tool that you have available right now, not something you have to look for or go get.

My multi-tool is part of my layered EDC. It performs the role of primary cutting tool and emergency every thing else. I also carry a Benchmade automatic that has an auto deploy strap cutter. But those never come out unless something bad is happening.

When decorum dictates that nothing hang off my belt, a Leatherman REV or SAK slip in a pocket.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Apples and oranges. If you carry it, you'll use it. If you truly don't use it, you didn't need it. I use mine every day. And although I've bought 20 different ones (Gerber, SOG, smaller Leatherman) I still wind up with my original Leatherman SuperTool, (Patent Pending).

I think a lot of folks loose sight of what the intent of a multi-tool is. If you carry a multi-tool along with a pocketknife, Cresent wrench, screw driver et al, odds are your multi-tool won't get used very much. But if that's all you carry, its much more useful. Its intended purpose is to fulfill a variety of needs with a single compact tool that you have available right now, not something you have to look for or go get.

My multi-tool is part of my layered EDC. It performs the role of primary cutting tool and emergency every thing else. I also carry a Benchmade automatic that has an auto deploy strap cutter. But those never come out unless something bad is happening.

When decorum dictates that nothing hang off my belt, a Leatherman REV or SAK slip in a pocket.
Please note this is the wilderness sub forum. I get why we carry them around house and town.

·
That'll be the day...
3,493 Posts
I have one in my truck and one each in two of my motorcycle tank bags. Normally, I reach for the multi-tool for the use of pliars. On occasion, I have used the screw drivers. Not much else on the tool is used by me.

.....except... one of my tools has a cork screw and we did use it to open a wine bottle from time to time.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,311 Posts
What a disingenuous response. How about you list tasks that only the multi tool can do that your knife cannot.

WELL, I guess if you would rather slice your finger open with your 12" blade to get out that embedded thorn instead of using the tweezers on the Swiss Army knife, more power to you.

I don't have a hard time carrying my SA multitool when I am also carrying about 20lbs of camera gear in my pack.(big lenses are HEAVY, extra camera and batteries...) Where ever I go in the bush I go alone, .AND, while I plan on just being out for a single day hike, and if I know I will be out of cell range, I pack for three with everything I might need to get by.just because..STUFF HAPPENS.And while in my youth I thought nothing of taking off for 4 days with a canteen, a couple of 3 muskateers candybars and a large bandanna for a shelter... because I was tough and didn't want to be slowed down by "extras", I found that having things in the bush makes life easier than not having things. And, since I am slightly larger than the average person, I find that weight in the pack is a relative thing. My AK day pack with everything is about 35lbs. Could it be a LOT lighter, you bet. Would it be great to have it 20lbs lighter it would be wonderful. .. right up to the time I got hurt and where I traveled in one day when healthy it would take me 3-4 to crawl out... and now the extras looks like necessities. Maybe you should read my article on going SOLO. Might give a different perspective in bush life.
Whatever the extra weight, you never know...

I have never kept a diary of my uses for my SA multitool and what I have used it for, but I wouldn't leave home without it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WELL, I guess if you would rather slice your finger open with your 12" blade to get out that embedded thorn instead of using the tweezers on the Swiss Army knife, more power to you.
Have i annoyed you or is this your regular approach to communication.

Please respond via pm if you'd like to discuss this. I'd like to keep my thread about...

Multi tool tasks in the woods that SB posters want to share

·
Curmudgeon
1,717 Posts
And you find your opportunity to fix things less in the wilderness than in town? As I said, a multi-tools primary function is as a cutting tool. Everything else is a compromise, being the best thing you have with you. If you carry an additional cutting tool, and find you never need/use needle nose pliers, a punch, file, can opener, bottle opener, assorted screw drivers, you've answered your own question. If, like me, you've had to fix multiple snap rings on back packs (Scout Leader), repair broken shoes, crimp tent pole ends, re-attach pot bales, canteen caps, open a million cans (although the P-38 did a lot of those) get hot things out of fires and and a host of other things I've forgotten, you'd find one handy to have and worth that extra 6 ounces. But having said all of that, I've used it 10 times more to cut things with.

So if you carry a dedicated knife, your multi-tool will find much less use. And won't be there when you need it.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,311 Posts

DO YOU carry First Aid items with you when you go into the bush?
Do you use them every time you go into the field?
IF not, why carry something you don't use or need?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm confused... So many here advocate not carrying everything you might need.

·
Only politics *****.
5,506 Posts
So what do you actually use a multitool for, which you wouldn't solve with a swiss army knife or even just a regular knife?
Jlrhiner gave some good examples of why he used a multitool on some trips. They are things i personally don't do, and as such have no need for, but it proves useful to him (though i do use the tweezers and toothpick on my Victorinox). Those are practical examples of personal use.

First aid kits are a good example of something you'll sorely miss if you need it, but i've just not found myself in a situation, while hiking, that i thought: if i had my multitool on me, this would have been easier.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts