Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4''bbl.S&W 686-3 357 mag.Its the one in my avatar.I have a tactical type Fobus paddle holster for it.And I'm getting ready to pick up 2 to 4 speedloaders.This revolver has fully adjustable sites and is a shooter.I can put 6 rds.on a pie plate standing @ 25 yds.My question is how do you think this stacks up to the semiauto pistols.With rds. like 40S&W and 45acp and magazine fed pistols for quicker reloading.It makes me wonder sometimes about my side arm choice.I like the simplicity of a revolver,no worries about FTE and FTF for revolvers is hardly ever heard of.What do you think?Should I ditch the 357 for a semiauto or just keep the hogleg?Tradrick

·
Registered
542 Posts
Your wheel gun will also fire 38 special. Not the case with the autos. I frankly am torn between my 1911 and gp100. You could be worse off. Jennings for example!

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
It's not how many you can spray down range but where you can put them. Use what you are comfortable with. I still have the first police pistol issued to me. A S&W Combat Master peace 38 special. A blind man can shoot 100 percent with it.

·
Slayer of Sacred Cows
588 Posts
I say keep it 686 is a fine revolver so is the GP-100 and just use some dummy rounds to work on your speed loader drills; if you're not doing so already.

Dang and today I walked into a gun shop a little too late and missed out on a stainless Ruger Speed Six like I've been looking for. Du-oh! as Homer would say.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
The only thing a revolver lacks compared to a modern pistol of higher capacity, is the lack of ability to provide cover fire. Who wants to use six, try a speed reload, then fire six more at most likely nothing (cover).

My recommendation to most people is to get various firearms, and use the one that best fits the operating environment you are proceeding into. I wouldnt take a six shot revolver into a true combat firefight, but I wouldnt take an RPG into a supermarket either. Be prepared, have multiple weapons for multiple roles. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replys guys.I love my 357 and am very comfortable with the knock down power of full power 357 mag loads.And as was said I can shoot 38 spl for practice.I guess I just needed someone to agree with me.LOL.Mabu Khan I just came across a Ruger Speed Six SS 357.This one had the shrouded hammer so it would be DAO.He also had a Ruger SP101 2''SS 357.Both used but in good shape.The Speed Six seemed to be in a little better shape IMO.His bottom dollar on either one was 350.00 plus tax.I would have gotten the Speed Six but had just ordered a compition type barrel for my Ruger MK11 22 pistol and could not afford another purchase.If you want the gun shop info let me know.Tradrick

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Survival Helper,I agree 100%.My next firearm purchase is probably going to be either a Glock 26,Springfield XDC9,I'm going with 9mm for cheaper and more easily to find ammo.And am going with the compact models for CCW.The 357 is great but more diffcult to conceal.But right now its not in the budget.I'm still trying to get ammo together for the guns I do have.S&W 357,NAA 22mag mini,Browning BAR 308,Remington 870 12ga and Ruger MK11 22 LR.Thanks Tradrick

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Me likee shoot beaucoup .38 rounds through a 686 with 4 inch barrel. Nice revolver. It's my "backcountry" gun.

Tom.

·
Shooter, Hiker, & Camper
256 Posts
I have a 4''bbl.S&W 686-3 357 mag.Its the one in my avatar.I have a tactical type Fobus paddle holster for it.And I'm getting ready to pick up 2 to 4 speedloaders.This revolver has fully adjustable sites and is a shooter.I can put 6 rds.on a pie plate standing @ 25 yds.My question is how do you think this stacks up to the semiauto pistols.With rds. like 40S&W and 45acp and magazine fed pistols for quicker reloading.It makes me wonder sometimes about my side arm choice.I like the simplicity of a revolver,no worries about FTE and FTF for revolvers is hardly ever heard of.What do you think?Should I ditch the 357 for a semiauto or just keep the hogleg?Tradrick
Send your gun's cylinder off to TK's Custom and have it converted to full moon clips. I did this on my carry Model 66, and it costs about $100. I have won IDPA stages against other autoloaders with this gun. You can still use speed loaders or individual rounds too.

http://www.tkcustom.com/

TK CUSTOM specializes in S&W Revolver accessories for the competition shooter and sportsman. Our products include a complete line of Full Moonclips, Moonclip Holders, Moonclip Stripper Tools, Moonclip Loading & Unloading Tools, a Moonclip Saver Tool and other items that may be of interest to revolver shooters'.

A Full Moonclip is circular piece of spring steel or stainless steel designed to hold a full cylinder of ammunition for a revolver together as a unit. Therefore, instead of loading one round at a time or using a speedloader, with a Full Moonclip, a full cylinder of ammunition can be loaded and the fired cases are all extracted together as a unit. Thus expediting the revolver loading and unloading process. Unlike a speedloader, a Full Moonclip remains in the revolver during firing. Loading and unloading tools for the Full Moonclips are recommended to assist the shooter with these administrative functions.

Full Moonclips are the world's fastest speedloader for revolvers!

Click on photos to enlarge
S&W Model 66 Revolver Example
Full Moonclip Conversion

Machined cylinders for use of Moonclips can still be used with or without Moonclips, just as the revolver was designed & manufactured by S&W.

Smith & Wesson revolver cylinders, including titanium cylinders,
can be modified by machining the cylinder to use Full Moonclips.

Full Moonclips are faster to use than a speedloader. Jerry Miculek, the world's best and fastest revolver shooter, has demonstrated the ability to fire six shots from a S&W Model 625 revolver in .45 ACP, reload, and fire six more shots into the 6x11-inch center scoring zone of an IPSC target at fifteen feet in under three seconds, including reaction time to the start signal. This feat was possible by using Full Moonclips to allow quick and reliable ejection of the fired rounds, and a quick reload of all six chambers at once. Pro Tips from Jerry Miculek Reloading

My personal gun:

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
id rather have a semi-auto than a revolver anyday. 6 rounds vs 15 rounds, i know all you need is one bullet. but being in a gun fight is ALOT different than shooting pie plates at the range. i look at those extra rounds as supressive fire to get away or to relocate and he has no idea where you are. most seem to think if your in a fire fight your going to stand your ground, if your not in your home and there are more than 1 attackers it would be better to give supressive fire and do a tactical retreat and live to fight another day specially if you got family with you.

·
Registered
861 Posts
With a wheel gun you don't have to police your brass if you pop a bad guy. Put the brass in your pocket and tell god he died of a heart attack and keep walking.;):thumb:

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
With a wheel gun you don't have to police your brass if you pop a bad guy. Put the brass in your pocket and tell god he died of a heart attack and keep walking.;):thumb:
are you REALLY going to be worried about your brass in the middle of a fire fight??:rolleyes:

i dont know about you but brass is the least of my worries, in that moment saveing my a$$ is what i will be worrying about.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts