Survivalist Forum banner

Is the reporter being attacked?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I found this pic this morning on my Yahoo home page with the below caption.

capt_d6e79e5268b047459aa6607e910ed5c1_greece_riots_xdm101.jpg

An anarchist with a flag attacks a photographer as more rioters in the background smash a free press distribution booth in central Athens on Wednesday, Dec. 10. Journalists and, especially photographers, have been the targets of enraged rioters over the five days of mayhem that have followed the fatal shooting of a 15-year-old youth by a police officer. More rioting took place Wednesday in the Greek capital outside Parliament and adjoining streets.
(AP Photo/Lefteris Pitarakis)

Now, at first glance one would tend to agree with the caption. However, upon closer inspection of the photo, I have to call BS on the caption and cry foul on a biased media.

It do not believe that this protestor was attacking the photo journalist or anyone else for that matter. The protestor is carrying a flag behind the cringing journalist who is wearing a gas mask. Look closer. The protestor looks like he is chanting. The flag is not raised in an attack nor being held in a threatening manner. The "attacker" is not even looking at the "victim". To top it all off, the prostestor is holding a lit cigarette in his left hand. It is my observation that the journalist is cringing from tear gas deployment (see the early smoke trail on the ground behind him).

This is a deplorable attempt at manipulation by the media. They are trying to make out something that is not there. It looks more like an attempt at disinformation in order to discredit the protestors.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I would tend to agree.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I found this pic this morning on my Yahoo home page with the below caption.

View attachment 10077

An anarchist with a flag attacks a photographer as more rioters in the background smash a free press distribution booth in central Athens on Wednesday, Dec. 10. Journalists and, especially photographers, have been the targets of enraged rioters over the five days of mayhem that have followed the fatal shooting of a 15-year-old youth by a police officer. More rioting took place Wednesday in the Greek capital outside Parliament and adjoining streets.
(AP Photo/Lefteris Pitarakis)

Now, at first glance one would tend to agree with the caption. However, upon closer inspection of the photo, I have to call BS on the caption and cry foul on a biased media.

It do not believe that this protestor was attacking the photo journalist or anyone else for that matter. The protestor is carrying a flag behind the cringing journalist who is wearing a gas mask. Look closer. The protestor looks like he is chanting. The flag is not raised in an attack nor being held in a threatening manner. The "attacker" is not even looking at the "victim". To top it all off, the prostestor is holding a lit cigarette in his left hand. It is my observation that the journalist is cringing from tear gas deployment (see the early smoke trail on the ground behind him).

This is a deplorable attempt at manipulation by the media. They are trying to make out something that is not there. It looks more like an attempt at disinformation in order to discredit the protestors.

Thoughts?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lesson here is do not believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.

·
woefully unprepared
1,489 Posts
I didn't read the caption first, so I was confused. I took it for what it was- a photographer covering the protest, and a protester-both being fired upon. My first thought was "rubber bullets", but tear gas is just as viable. I did notice who was "on the job" and who was just covering it. Hint: the guy with the protection on is doing all the flinching. The other thing; what's the flag? They are both obviously in black, but this can also just be a random choice of wardrobe. Anarchist, by nature, typically only unite under a common flag of black only. Anything else on a banner might make them a hyphenated-anarchist, though, if they are.
The posture and composure of the two subjects is *obviously* not what is portrayed in the caption line.

On the intent/mistake by the editor-I'd have to know an extensive history on the paper and their leanings. Right now I'm at a 50/50, but I'm also also aware of the vast amount of subtle and not so subtle manipulation that takes place in the media.

Sorry for the thread drift, check this unrelated one out if you wish: http://www.free-jokes.info/pic/1.jpg What do you think of the girl on the right and the overall message these kids are getting? Yes, I get the "known" cleared weapon stuff but to me that doesn't fly on a 9yo. And the charlies angels thing?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hotprepper, it was an AP article. that is all that I know.

·
PPG flyer
2,789 Posts
either or neither,I support the latter

·
woefully unprepared
1,489 Posts
I hope in a decade you'll have a more nuanced opinion on reporters. Same goes for police, military, politcians, used car salesmen and lawyers.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
If you are bashing someone in the head you are usually looking at them and not yelling to someone a block away. Clearly the attention of the guy with the flag is up ahead. The photographer cringing- is more like "get your elbow out of my back".

·
just waitin' for it
680 Posts
"Reporter" looks to be reeling or running from something, but I don't think it was the "protester". The "protester" is not in a defensive or aggressive poster, is gingerly holding a cigarette, and chanting/yelling (quite comfortably with the majority of his weight placed on his aft, left foot as in a relaxed stance whereas an attacker in an aggressive posture would have their weight forward) to someone/something beyond the "reporter". He's the only visible "flag bearer" in the shot. The photo is too low quality to readily determine if it has been altered. But the caption seems to be fabricating a story.

Reactions: Hilda

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Just to add.

If you look carefully, right above the lifted elbow of the photographer, it appears that one of his camera straps is slipping down his arm. Is it possible that he's lifting his arm to keep from loosing one of his cameras? His other hand has a camera in it as well, so he couldn't use that to adjust the strap back up onto his shoulder.

Either way, the protester isn't attacking anyone.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I can tell you right now that the picture is PURE Bullhonkey.

A.) The camera man is hunching his equipment over his shoulder while readying up to take a picture.
B.) He's cringing because of the gas
C.) Look at the "vile" protestors eyes, they're not even focused anywhere close to the reporter. I also don't get the feeling that the protestor is in "rage" mode.
D.) It looks like the "vile" protestor is marching carrying a flag and taking a smoke. If I was to go attack someone, it'd be with both hands on the flag. Usually with eyes wide and a more angered look on their face.
E.) The photographer looks like he might be going into a side step, which also happens to be in the way of the protestor.

I've been in enough quarrels over time to know this protester isn't attacking or in process of attacking anyone.

But of course, who will they believe? MSM or a protestor?

0.2Ameros

SOLIDUS

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
In Greece everyone smokes everywhere all the time. That is not an exaggeration, so a protester with a cigarette means nothing. What we need to see is the rest of the video or an eye witness account. The press in Greece is not pro-government so it is doubtful a pro-government spin is being created. What the protest is about is kids learning they are not the center of all things important. Most Greeks are very disgusted over the protests, which says a lot since protests are an every day event in Greece to the point they are usually ignored.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sr, I smoke too. Yet if I were in an altercation I would drop the smoke--let alone creep up behind someone and hit them one handed with a flag stick.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts