Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Crazy Canuck
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been thinking of picking the Tom Brown Tracker but before I do I would like some input. The knife is about $300 so I want to be sure it is worth the money.

Specs:
Blade Length: 4 1/4"
O/A Length: 11 7/8"
Draw Knife: 2 1/8"
Saw: 2 1/2"
Thickness: 1/4"
Weight: 1 lb 12oz
Blade Steel: 1095 High Carbon Alloy RC-58
Blade Color: Black Traction CoatingHandle Material: Black Linen Micarta®
Sheath: Kydex With Two Rotating Steel Spring Clips
Mfg. Handcrafted in the USA
*Each knife individually numbered with a serial number

Heres a link for more info: http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/trackerknife/index.html

Thanks for the input guys.

Cheers
WC

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
A discouraging word. I am not a fan of Brown or his big knife/penis creations. Too many doohickies to do any one thing well, IMO. Heavy to carry, hard to sharpen, does nothing well. I think $300 can be better spent.
I agree, far too many edges on this knife to be of practical use IMO.
Certainly its a knife of interest but I would not use it.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
I can't see buying it, when there are dozens of quality knives under $100, but if you just have money falling out of your ...... then go for it. I like to buy quality products but some things are just overkill.

·
Crazy Canuck
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does seem quite heavy to wear, however there is a smaller lighter version available as well. I thought this would be a great knife since it is able to do so many things. I don't how this knife couldn't be as useful as another one since you can still cut with it, but you also get the other features too.

maybe the smaller one is better:

specs:
Blade Length: 3 1/2"
O/A Length: 9 1/2"
Draw Knife: 2"
Blade Height: 2"
Blade Thickness: 3/16"
Blade Steel: 1095 High Carbon Alloy RC-58
Blade Color: Black Traction Coating
Handle Material: Black Linen Micarta®
Sheath: Kydex With Two Rotating Steel Spring Clips
Mfg. Handcrafted in the USA

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
I'm in agreement with the above - too much in one blade for it to do anything really well. I would be much more interested in getting a quality hatchet and fixed blade for (less than) the price. Just seems too gimmicky for me and that's saying a lot, as I'm easily dazzled by bright shiny objects.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Good thing you asked here first. I didn't like the thing the first time I saw it. Check out these videos on YouTube:

This guy is very knowledgeable. Two good alternatives might be these:

·
Crazy Canuck
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in agreement with the above - too much in one blade for it to do anything really well. I would be much more interested in getting a quality hatchet and fixed blade for (less than) the price. Just seems too gimmicky for me and that's saying a lot, as I'm easily dazzled by bright shiny objects.
lol, yep me too ... I'm a gadget guy and love toys that do more than the next guy has .... it's a bit of an obsession. :eek::

·
Crazy Canuck
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good thing you asked here first. I didn't like the thing the first time I saw it. Check out these videos on YouTube:

YouTube - Anatomy of Hype: Tom Brown Tracker knife Part 1

YouTube - Anatomy of Hype: Tom Brown Tracker knife Part 2

This guy is very knowledgeable. Two good alternatives might be these:

YouTube - Ontario SP5: Big Blade Mojo

YouTube - Ka-Bar Heavy Bowie: Wicked and Cheap
errr, videos ... I'm on dialup, yep dialup, highspeed isn't in the area yet :( This will take a while.

I'll download those later tonight and watch them.

Thanks for the videos.

Cheers
WC

·
Registered
52 Posts
TOPS makes so many better knives than that...The Tracker is just a gimmick. I have a friend with one...and hes a TB fan...and he does not like it. Has a TOPS Firestrike and love that though...might think about a different TOPS model. Anaconda is good, I have the 9 and its a damned fine chopper.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
if you don't care about the price, go for it

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
Not over keen on it,it does look like an interesting knife but i have to agree with the to many edges quotes.

·
Crazy Canuck
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Looks useless for me..movie hype knife which no real purpose
how can this knife be useless?! it's one of the only ones i've seen that actually has a saw blade with the teeth angled properly to get a proper cut. If you do some research on this knife at the link I provided you will get to the manual and shows you what this knife was designed for and capable of.

also, the movie came after the knife ... I have never seen the movie, I am interested about this knife from research. The knives I have seen here as survival knives don't seem to do much more than a good steak knife!! seriously, what's the difference between your knife and a good steak knife, beside the better metal which most outdoor knives have... they are just designed to cut, the Tracker does that too, plus many other things.

WC

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The OOOOLD WSK debate. Such a topic has never caused more controversy in the knife world hahaha.

The TOPS tracker is the worst copy of the WSK design ever! well pretty close. It is more or less a brick. If your interested in this blade then read up on it and what it is used for.

The debate usually ends with you either HATING it or LOVING IT.

I own a Red Scorpion Blades version and I love it.

Tim Horan at www.HoranKnives.com makes a great and unique version as well.

You can always opt for bidding on an original Beck one when they pop up on ebay for about $1200 or more haha.

·
V
21,713 Posts
Sorry Bmatt I only watched parts 1&2, thats the worst knife review Ive ever seen lol the guy is reviewing a knife he's never held so never used and 90% of his argument is basicaly because he didnt like the film :taped:. He says the straight edge would be good for chopping yet every time Ive seen the knife used for heavy chopping its been the curved edge at the end.

As there are always 2 sides to every argument and knives in particular are a matter of personal taste. Here's someone who likes the knife and is actually useing it :eek:

Personally I'm not a fan of the knife I think its fugly expensive and as already said hyped beyond belief. I am a fan of this one though..
But then I like Khukri's :thumb: I believe khukri house do a custom making thing so I might see about getting something similar made up sometime in the future when/if I get some spare cash.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sorry Bmatt I only watched parts 1&2, thats the worst knife review Ive ever seen lol the guy is reviewing a knife he's never held so never used and 90% of his argument is basicaly because he didnt like the film :taped:. He says the straight edge would be good for chopping yet every time Ive seen the knife used for heavy chopping its been the curved edge at the end.

As there are always 2 sides to every argument and knives in particular are a matter of personal taste. Here's someone who likes the knife and is actually useing it :eek:

Personally I'm not a fan of the knife I think its fugly expensive and as already said hyped beyond belief. I am a fan of this one though..

But then I like Khukri's :thumb: I believe khukri house do a custom making thing so I might see about getting something similar made up sometime in the future when/if I get some spare cash.
I do agree that it's strange for him to review a knife without actually using it. :rolleyes: BUT...the more experience you have with different blades, the better you can judge what a knife will be like (i.e. knowing the weight, dimensions, etc.). The more I learn about bushcraft etc. etc. etc., the more negatives I see in this knife.

As for chopping, I think he knows that the curved part is for chopping, and not straight section. But the curved part is just so oddly shaped/placed.... I don't know. Looks like a gimmick to me.

Also remember: Dave Canterbury (great outdoorsman) is/was trying to sell the Tracker on his website, so he's promoting it in the videos you posted. I think he's making a GREAT move in switching to the "Pathfinder knife". Hmmm...I wonder why he's switching...hmmm... ;)

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
What is it with the yen for fat-bladed, stubby knives these days??
Aesthetically, they're butt ugly, and in the bush I've been able to meet all my goals with a typical survival or pocket knife.
These fat, short, bulbous ended blades seem too short for hacking to awkward for self defense...I just don't see the appeal in them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
A Word on TOPS knives

As a user and abuser of TOPS knives, let me give a few words in general on the pros and cons of TOPS knives as well as a comment about the issue of the difference between a steak knife and a good outdoor knife.

TOPS (Tactical Operations Products) is a semi custom knife maker that uses mostly tried and true designs to produce a decent product. By and large, TOPS knives are made of a differentially heat treated 1095 High carbon steel that takes and holds a great edge. TOPS products are known for their durability and utility for uses they are designed for.
That being said, TOPS knives rarely come with the best grind available and the edges really need to be buffed and stropped prior to using them for fine work.
This is easily accomplished with a decent emery board , arkasas stone and about 20 mins of work, usually ending with a strop.
The TOPS Tracker has all of the same basic features as the other knives made by this company. If your dead set on a tracker, the TOPS Model is a good price for a decent version of this blade. That being said, the Tracker is (in my experience) a combersome knife to use for its intended purpose. The different edges make it hard to sharpen in the field under primitive conditions without the aid of modern sharpening tools. The extreme belly of the front end makes chopping an odd affair at best, and at worst, the blade skips off of the intended target due to the lack of a decent "sweet spot" which would otherwise be there.
Now some pro of the knife: The handle is comforable and in my opinion, a good shape for an outdoor knife. I have seen trackers re-ground to remove the variable edge geometry and it made a very comfortable skinning and general purpose outdoor knife, but then, it was not the Tracker anymore but instead, a large skinner style blade.

Now about outdoor knives in general and their relation to the steak knife.
Similaritys: they are both made of some sort of metal, usuallly steel, they both have a handle, edge and point (it varys though) They have the same purpose:to cut something.
Differences: THe steel as you mentioned is better, the blades are more robust, the handle is designed to be used under wet, bloody, sticky conditions and still allow the tool to stay in your hand, weather we are speaking of a hunting knife, survival knife or combat knife, an outdoor knife has to be stiff enough to endure carving wood, cracking bone or at least seperating it from raw meat. Some of these things can be said of a steak knife but I welcome you to try and dress,skin, and butcher an elk with your average steak knife (im not talking henkles here, thats a whole different ball game!)
Anyway my reccomendation is that you start with a decen Marbles Ideal or Woodcraft, or even a K-Bar before spending the $$ on the Tracker. If you have any questions on what to start out with, feel free to e-mail me and Ill help you put things in perspective.
RR

·
OBAMA Sucks Smokin Weed
297 Posts
I have had both the TOPS Tracker and the Red Scorpion Six Predator WSK and I no longer have the Tops Tracker. I sold one of my Predator WSK's here in the Classifieds because I am going for the new Raven WSK that RS6 is coming out with. The RS6 vs the Tracker was very similar in design but the WSK had better balance and had better edge geometry.
They sell both the TRACKER and their own WSK but if you have the chance to handle both you will be able to see that the WSK is the better all around tool.
www.redscorpionsix.com

1 - 20 of 55 Posts