Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at some prepackaged emergency fishing kits online and, not being someone who fishes, I don't know what half the stuff in there is for (jig? bobber? leader? shad?).

Do I honestly need anything more than 10-20 feet of fishing line, a hook, and some bait?

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
24,288 Posts
I've seen those, and they look good. Any idea how long they last?
I had some when I was a teenager that lasted several years. I think I actually lost them before they stopped working.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
You will definately need more than 20-30 feet of fishing line. You can go and get a kid's fishing kit at walmart. They come with a 3' telescopic pole with an attached reel that is pre-spun with 8-10 lb test line.

The will usually come with a few hooks, bobbers (float, cork) an some small weights. The kits cost just under $20. It is a good place to start.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
I recommend fishing yoyo's. They are cheap, easy to use, and you can let them fish for you while you do other things.

http://www.survival-gear.com/yo-yo-fishingreel.htm
I have one of those that my Dad had when he was younger(at least 25 years old) it still works.

I recently suggested those on 2 other posts, there is a place online you can get them 12 for $26.99-thats a really good price.

·
infowars.com
421 Posts
i just cary string and sinkers with small hook use natraul bait in the area bugs ,worms ,maggets, etc

those lures usually only work in lakes that have fish that will basicly jump on your hook

the bobbers help with wait to throw it farther plus show if you got a bite its a good idea to have a couple

the thing about the yo-yo i never had any mechanical problems but i dont have a boat anymore and i dont like useing them on shore just my personel prefrence but if you want to venture in the water to tie it to a limb go for it

but i do have three in my b.o.b cause in survival it will help you save time to do other things i would set them out while setting up traps around the water for other game

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
i just cary string and sinkers with small hook use natraul bait in the area bugs ,worms ,maggets, etc

those lures usually only work in lakes that have fish that will basicly jump on your hook

the bobbers help with wait to throw it farther plus show if you got a bite its a good idea to have a couple

the thing about the yo-yo i never had any mechanical problems but i dont have a boat anymore and i dont like useing them on shore just my personel prefrence but if you want to venture in the water to tie it to a limb go for it

but i do have three in my b.o.b cause in survival it will help you save time to do other things i would set them out while setting up traps around the water for other game

They can be attached at shore to a tree, stick stuck in the ground-anywhere. We attach to a jug and then achor the jug to shore. You can also attach the YO YO to a dock or other struture.

It has a hole in the corner you can even tie a string through it and tie it to you foot (you would really know when it caught something).

So you don't have to wade out in the water to use it.

My son used it as a small animal snare and it worked great, caught a rabbit with it.

·
infowars.com
421 Posts
like i said my personal prefrence but i had tryed to use it as a snare havent caught nothing yet but only done it a couple of times glad to here it worked for someone

ill keep on trying just been busy working on other traps ive been working on

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't think there is such a thing as an emergency fishing kit. If lost or disabled in the woods your last requirement is food. You can survive for weeks without food. In a true emergency situation fish is going to be the last thing on your mind. If you desire food in such a kit mre's and like foods help to take the IF out of such a situation.

Kits to be carried for recreational use are more of a valid option. You have to be in the woods for some reason after all, and fishing is a fine reason. If your a hiker or backpacker why not sit down for a while and fish.

A fishing kit for a BOB is a great idea. I would recomend a large spool of nylon fishing line, many hooks of diferent sizes, stringer(s), and area dependant boobers and weights. I really wouldn't worry about a pole. Just tie your line to a stationary object or to a sturdy stick as an emprovised pole. If your new to fishing the best thing would be to get standard eqipment, get some experiance, and have a good time.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
yea i would get a zebco 33 and a small tackle box and fill it with hooks, weights (different amounts ) bobers. and a extra spool of string. just depends on what your preparing for short term or a long term plan. will you be fishin ponds ,lakes or rivers?

zebco would be fine for a pond and maybe a lake.
a heavier rod and reel for river and large lake, fishing for catfish.
a little tip if you dont want to spend alot on fishing equip. look at local auctions you can get GREAT deals on fishing equip. some times it will be old equip. some times its near new if not still in the box :thumb:
last weekend i got a 2 lightly used rods and reels both for $6.50 ea and i know the reels sell at walmart for $40-$60 by themselves. just go to walmart a see what the prices are before you go to an auction and NEVER pay more than 1/2 even if it is new.one time i got a brand new pole at an auction, got home and looked it up and the pole cost $135, i paid $7 :thumb: i love auctions!! you just got to becareful and look at it before you bid get there like 1hr before it starts and make sure it works if a reel is well used, i dont buy them odds are they dont work right. and same thing if all the reels being sold are brand and the owner is a regular acution seller odds are he is getting factory rejects i avoid those but if its a house auction full of items and they are selling a few rod/reels in good -VERY good shape i buy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.