Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IF THE wife is gone, (my computer desk is in the same room as the big TV)
I have the tube shut off and I pick something out of the LOTS of music I have loaded into the laptop.
Everything from Classical to movie soundtracks to Pink Floyd to CW.
NO- opera, rap or anything made after 2000.
If she is here and wants to watch something I pull out the BOSE headset my sister got me for Christmas a long time ago. Then EVERYTHING disappears.

I wear the Bose on the plane when I am on those long cross country flights.

But mostly I am listening to something along the classical lines.
One of my favorites is this one..
If you listen to it you will hear something very familiar from the movie ALIEN. It is the music at the very end just after she blew the critter out into space. It is a beautiful symphony.

howard.jpg

·
Retired curmudgeon
19,649 Posts
WHAT DO you listen to while sitting at the computer?
My ears ringing mostly. Sometimes I put on some C&W music or classical if I'm in the mood.

·
Padre in the woods
1,803 Posts
Depends on the mood. Sometimes Cheryl Atkinson podcast, sometimes old Art Bell Reruns, or I just use Radio Garden and tune to the "station du jour" somewhere.

·
Indefatigable
20,836 Posts
Music, tons of it. I belong to 5 different FB music groups and I listen to what is posted so I don't end up listening to the same thing over and over. I'm REALLY enjoying a new Canadian Rock group currently. At this moment I am listing to my own "female vocalists" playlist and Lady Gaga is on.

Reactions: BrianWorf

·
Super Moderator
12,261 Posts
When I am writing it is oldies rock & roll. Some rockabilly. Occasionally 70s to early 90s. Once in a great while, when I am writing certain types of vignettes in a story some classical just seems to show up.

I do have a playlist that I listen to when I need a boost for high action/adventure parts. And another for when there is dancing in the vignette. I have to be really careful though, away from the computer when I am driving. I usually have the radio on for breaking news. If Pipeline by the Chantays comes on I have to be very careful or I am doing 110 down the highway.

Just my opinion.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
2,450 Posts
Samuel Barber, eh? My current favorite of his, I think I've posted this before elsewhere on the forum. The vocals are absolutely amazing, particularly in this recording

Also currently liking anything by Marconi Union, Schubert, Chopin, and for general listening while doing chores, I put on the contemporary Christian radio station online KSBJ.

If it's not music, it's mysteries from the old Radio Mystery Theater or one of the others that ran that type of broadcast from the 40s onward.

·
Bug-In Prepper
1,385 Posts
Mostly I avoid listening to music at home because I want to hear if my wife calls for help, but when I do listen, it's music that I haven't "scored" yet for whatever reason.

I have a simple audio player I wrote, which runs on my laptop, and one of its features is that it lets me press a number key to give a mp3 a score from 0 (horrible) to 9 (absolutely wonderous). It maintains a database of mp3 files and their score, so when I want to listen to music I can tell it to only play files scored 3 or higher, 4 or higher, etc, depending on my mood. Do I want more variety? I set the score threshold lower, and it plays a wider variety. Do I want only my favorites? I set the score higher and it only plays my favorites.

This only works for songs with scores, of course, so whenever amenable I'll tell it to play new music so I can score it. I'm pretty harsh, so it can be pretty rote and mechanical .. listen to the first ten seconds, press "2" and "n" to skip to the next song, repeat a hundred times.

I have a few Butcher Babies CDs I haven't listened to yet, so when I next listen, I'll score those.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I listen to QSO's from foreign Countries. Many I listen in on are discussing the protests and anger over on the excessive overreach. The amount of protests and retaliation in many countries is astounding. Ca. is especially bad right now.

This comes from people who live there. You will never hear this info from our propaganda networks.

·
Apprentice Geezer
2,502 Posts
...Mostly the cooling fans in the computer , ocasionally mt tinitus (ringing in my ears) if my bloodpressure is high; if I feel the need for tunes I fire up the travel and camping tunes (classic rock, country rock, rock-a-billy etc.on my phone) via the old JBL bluetooth speaker.... my hearing is too far gaone for serious listening anymore...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Mostly herself, who sits across the table from me on her computer. Or the grand daughter watching Netflix...

If I am by myself (a rare occurrence) it is mostly the ringing in my left ear.

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
6,049 Posts
In the evening over here I usually listen to willag.org TEG podcast or maybe This Week In Virology or a Bloomberg podcast.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I am usually listening to Joe Rogan podcast or Garage Logic podcast.
Joe does great interviews with a wide range of people. I don’t listen to ones about UFC or most of the comedian interviews he does. But he does some great interviews with former Rangers, Seals, physics, politicians, many world renowned people. Just search through his library of guest and listen to ones that interest you.
Garage logic, well it’s a podcast based in MN, it’s about local and National politics, funny news, very lil sports, I guess you have to listen to it to get the real feel about it’s content. I’m not doing it justice at all. Joe is a Deep thinker and does well explaining his thoughts and points of view. You don’t have to be local to appreciate this podcast.
I encourage anyone to check out both podcast. They are well worth your time. Let me know what you think.

·
Work in progress
909 Posts
Usually music, various types. Most of this past May has been webinars on cyber security topics for CPEs to keep my certifications current which in turn helps to keep me employable.

·
I am interrogative, yes.
1,497 Posts
It depends on what I'm working on. If I need to concentrate I usually have some relaxing classical music playing in the background, andante piano concertos, things like that.

If I'm doing work where I can actually listen, I play a video or podcast.

If I'm doing something creative, or just busywork, I put on my favorite tunes and sing along.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
2,450 Posts
I have tinnitus too, and I've found recordings of crickets on low volume, about like natural crickets here sound like, helps a great deal. The pitch of the crickets is very close to the sound I hear from my tinnitus, and it sort of helps me not to hear it or notice it so badly.

My favorite, sounds like my back yard. 10 hours of crickets, sometimes I set it and let it play all night.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I rarely get on my PC at home - the phone does everything I need except if I have to hop on for work. I listen to podcasts and only listen to music out in the garage.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts