Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a $300 knife really that much better than a $50 one? I know that anything too cheap is likely to be a POS, but once you get above about 40 or 50 dollars do you really notice any difference in quality as the price goes up? Anyone here with an incredibly expensive knife who thinks it was worth it?

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
It can be better but the problem with the 300 one is most people wont beat on it because they dont want to break it.. but alot of its just marketing and most people see a higher price and always asume its better

Ive had knives that are $2-300 and the $2 dollar china made ones suck but the 10-50 arnt bad the more expensive 1 are cooler looking but when it comes down to it they both hold an edge they both cut just the more expesnive 1 I dont have to sharpen as much

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Is a $300 knife really that much better than a $50 one? I know that anything too cheap is likely to be a POS, but once you get above about 40 or 50 dollars do you really notice any difference in quality as the price goes up? Anyone here with an incredibly expensive knife who thinks it was worth it?
I'd say that it depends on the knives in question as to whether or not they're better or worth the higher price.
There are a lot of Busse users who think that their knives are better & worth more money. To them ,they are. To you , maybe not.
There are a lot of custom knives being used & used HARD that are well worth the price to their owners. To you,maybe not.

Some of these guys using the Tracker blades or copies of them just love them.
Whether or not they actually USE them is another question,but they sure do love those things.

Sometimes the higher price is due to the fact that a single person made the knife,by hand,in a small shop vs a mass produced knife made in a factory.
Only you can justify spending your money on a higher priced knife. We can't justify it for you.

For me...if I come upon a knife that I think I would like to use,I'll check around for reviews done by people that I know are reputable & base part of my decision on that info.
If it comes from an established,respectable company or maker,is made of good quality materials,has a good warranty & is the size & style that I will use,I don't have a problem spending some extra $$$.

Cliff

·
"Not vengence Punishment"
1,280 Posts
Also if it is a $50 production vs a $300 production the price difference is in the equipment used. The $50 is most likely stamped out of sheet coil in a punch press which is not as accurate but produces allot of parts quickly. The $300 production is most likely laser cut blanks. Since lasers are slower than punch press not as many are made but they are very accurate. So a punch press knife will usually be a little on the sloppy side where as the laser knife having tighter tolerances will have a tight fit to it.

·
Enjoying Life
620 Posts
I think the cheap stuff is just that Cheap. But I can misplace a cheap knife or an expensive knife all that said, its gone either way. Oh I use my knife daily so a nice pretty knife does not fit in with my uses.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
any reason for this? or just being a ****?:headshake:
:thumb:;)

Just being his (he says he's a he but how many guys, others then gays, do you know named Trixie) common, lovable, everyday self loathing, peeved at the world because s/he wasn't born rich, self...But then, what do I know as I'm just a rich prick...

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Well, it's just my opinion and all, but I think what you get from a custom maker is this:
1. Pride of ownership.
2. Generally higher level of craftsmanship.
3. Literally, a product made custom to what you want.
4. Sometimes better materials and heat-treat, but that's not a given.
5. In some cases you do get a tougher product, but that's not a given either.

The way you asked your question(s) almost guarantees the reply of yes! They will cut better, hold an edge longer, take an edge easier but not always...

The difference between a $50 and $100 knife is $50 and that's about it...The difference between a $50 knife and a $250 knife is mind boggling...First better steel, better heat treating, usually much better craftsmanship, better sheath and handle scales and of course your design--to a degree...

The problem of comparing steels to one another in a price range is horrific because the higher grade steel will (nearly, almost, probably) never be found in that price range...I don't know of any D2 (as an example) blades in the $50 to $100 range, only a very few in the $150+ range and quite a few in the $225+ range...

The real difference lies in the $500 to $1,000 range and then it's maker's name and of course unique materials like mammoth/mastodon teeth, mokume, Damascus as well as steels...They won't perform any better then the $250 knife but not any worse either...

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
it all depends on what the 300 dollars means to you.

to some people it's chump change, to others it is several months savings
Thats true too.. doesnt mean that the knife will be better or worse when it comes to price some knives are for collecting and thats why they priced so high.. others are use knives.. some are tatatical so add some money for tatical knives... its mostly marketing..

I dont pry with my knives if I did I would be useing the wrong tool.. I only use my knives for cutting things and thats it simply because well thats what they were made to do..

·
Furry
1,477 Posts
When I started Carrying I had an Old Buck 110 in a real sad condition pouch; I didnt have alot of money to throw around but blessings are blessings, I saved for a Spyderco Rescue model and had that for approx 3 years.. that rescue model cost me 40.00 back in 96 .
Anyhow , what im trying to say is, the blade is worth the money if you can justify its use; I cant justify a $500.00 knife but even if i do pay that much, im gonna use it just like my Spyderco...( jus gonna cry more)

·
Registered
303 Posts
what is it to you? or should i ask your daddy?
i buy more expensive knives. i find that they are better quality. That does not mean that a 300$ knife is 6X better than a 50$ knife.

I dont go to the movies, buy expensive electronics, do drugs, gamble, drink excesivly, or squander my money on other things with nothing to show for it. Instead of wasting it i spend it on knives, gold, BOB, and other preps

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
I've posted some of my knives.

I kinda like the Cold Steel Bushman knives. they work and no tears if it gets lost or stolen.
The Bushmans are a good mix of price versus performance.
On a side note, I wish people'd lay off of FXJohn, good on him for keeping his temper when he gets flamed so much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts