Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the "hush hush" conversation that you hear about things heading toward another great depression; I've been def. thinking hard about "what if" possiblities. you know, what if it gets so bad that ppl can't afford electricity, what if food is extremely hard to get/find, and so on and so on. so my question is what do you do??

I currently live in a house with no other heating source than a ac/heating unit, I look in my pantry and we have enough food to last about a week (basicly my dad and myself, we eat out alot), and as far as protection goes we're covered. But IF it did get bad our house would basicly be useless, rather than to keep us out of the elements.

So i guess what I'm looking for is to see what people in the same or similar situations are doing. I work a small job and make average pay, my dad makes great money but doesn't think things will get very bad (thinks we might have to go a while without cable and a gym membership), so stocking up on food is a chore with what little extra cash i have. I've been buying basics, rice, canned vegs, and canned meat. But other that, what really can you do?? I'm looking at purchasing (in pairs) flint strikers, knives, a mess kit, sterilization tablets, first aid products, asprin, extra wool socks, long johns, wool blankets, etc.

Any thoughts, ideas, or comments that would help me out would be great.

·
Registered
72 Posts
H-

This is reposted from another thread, but I think it fits your scenario:

For just $ 5.00 +/- (per week) you can buy the following storable things:

FOOD ITEMS

* Five packages of Idahoan instant potatoes (flavored)
* A case of ramen noodles (20 pkgs)
* five cans of sardines
* five gallons of purified water
* nearly two cases of bottled water
* four cans of peaches, pears or fruit cockatail
* 2 bottled of mandarin oranges
* five pounds of rice
* three to four pounds of spaghetti
* Two cans of spaghetti sauce
* three bags of egg noodles
* eight packages of gravy mix
* four cans of whole or sliced new potatos
* four cans of green beans or at least three cans of carrots, greens, peas or mixed veggies
* Two cans of Yams
* six cans of pork and beans
* one 40 ounce can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew
* Two 12 ounce cans of chicken, tuna or roast beef
* One 1lb canned ham
* three cans of refried beans
* three 12 oz cans of raviolis or spaghetti O's.
* Two 12.5 ounce cans of Salmon
* Five pounds of Oatmeal
* Four packages Dinty Moore heat and eat meals
* five packages of corn bread mix
* Four pounds of Sugar
* Five pound of Flour
* 1.5 quarts of cooking oil
* three one pound bags of dry beans
* two cans of apple juice
* a jar of peanut butter
* two boxes of yeast
* two bags of generic breakfast cereal
* 10 80z cans of tomato paste/tomato sauce
* four cans of soup
* four cans of Chunky soup
* 8-10 pounds of Iodized salt
* two bottles of garlic powder or other spices
* Two boxes of kool aid
* A can of coffee
* 2 bottles of powdered coffee creamer

Non-Food Items

* one manual can opener
* two bottles of camp stove fuel
* 100 rounds of .22lr ammo
* 25 rounds of 12 ga birdshot or small game loads
* 20 rounds of Monarch 7.62x39 ammo
* a spool of 12lb test monofilament fishing line
* 2 packages of hooks and some sinkers or corks.
* artificial lure
* two packages of soft plastic worms
* three Bic Lighters or two big boxes of matches
* A package of tea lights
* 50 ft of para cord
* a roll of duct tape
* a box of nails or other fasteners
* a flashlight
* two D-batteries, four AA or AAA batteries or two 9v batteries
* a toothbrush and tooth paste
* a bag of disposable razors
* eight bars of ivory soap (it floats)
* a box or tampons or bag of pads for the ladies
* two gallons of bleach
* needles and thread
* a ball of yarn

OTC Medications (at Dollar General)

* 2 bottles 1000 count 500 mg generic Tylenol (acetometaphin)
* 2 bottles 500 count 200 mg generic advil (ibuprofen)
* 2 boxes 24 cound 25 mg generic Benadryl (diphenhydramine HCI)--also available at walgreens under "sleep aids."
* 4 bottles 500 count 325 mg aspirin
* 2 boxes of generic sudafed
* 4 bottles of alcohol
* a box of bandages (4x4)

Go with God!

·
96 Posts
The first thing you need to decide are you a "bug out" (aka backpacks and bazookas) or are you a "bug in" (aka guns and generators).

Though it is really a labor in vain, since you will prob become both. Anyways, you sound more like a bug in, so you may want to try finding info on the board for 5 gallon buckets for storage of what you eat normally. (also try learning to cook if you do not know). Water storage is a good idea as well.

I could go on for days on getting started but just look on the board and you will get an idea.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I have a bug in situation going on our property. With stored food items lasting from 3 months to a full year I feel pretty good. I still buy extra items when we go grocery shopping.

I have 3 or 4 different ways to heat our home or just a small room.

I have 3 or 4 ways to cook food, depending on the time of year.

I have extra clothing, blankets, dishes, pots, material, tools, firewood, guns/ammo.

I have a garden/orchard and a bee hive that I will dry/can extra food from. I am looking into the future and how well I can provide for myself if the SHTF.

·
Registered
201 Posts
We're TOTALLY with Ramona, here !! Bug-in is what we anticipate, frankly.
Still getting to ALL of those (Romona's) places, slowly and surely.
I've actually begun SERIOUSLY searching for sales !! Have hated that idea, until lately... seems I now have a 'green light',
and feel quite convicted that I START, and NOW !! Does that make any sense ?? :rolleyes:
Remember to purchase things you two would normally eat, and simply get extras to set aside when on special.

Try the 'what if' concepts, and consider what you would do without, say, power for a few weeks ... don't forget that water treatment plants can't operate long without the power grid, either !!
When I do that, I want: fresh water, electricity (generator?.. almost there), ways to deal with food in freezers (all of my stuff is already cooked, then re-frozen... also a good idea to have frozen water in there to extend the time it all stays cold)... see ?
It's sort of a snowball scenario one deals with.
A rather easy way to get a grip, for me, anyway. :upsidedown:

Down here in the south, our heating options aren't terribly difficult.. can pile on blankets and clothes, etc,
if we're caught without much heating stuff around. Building on that part, tho.
Just bought a few extra things for cooking, so we now have 3 ways to tackle that one, obtaining extra BBQ/LP tanks, sterno, etc. and have several food items on the shelf that only require heating one cup of water to = a decent meal.
That can spare on cooking fuel, not to mention water rations.
The list that Daddio has re-posted is a SUPER concept that I'm employing, myself, too .. depending on our likes and dislikes.

You're doing well, just "getting it" !! :)

For sure, LOAD UP ON WATER, Harmon !!
Blessings !

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Man, I went from making about 5000 a month to making 1200 when I moved up here. Amazingly, my savings started to grow. Why? I stopped eating out, and started cooking all my meals at home. Saved lots of money. Then we started just buying extra long term groceries, were at about 4 months of 3 meals a day stored now, and once in a while, I buy more dried beans or such stuff that we rarely eat.

·
Registered
201 Posts
We're TOTALLY with Ramona, here !! Bug-in is what we anticipate, frankly.
Still getting to ALL of those (Romona's) places, slowly and surely.
I've actually begun SERIOUSLY searching for sales !! Have hated that idea, until lately... seems I now have a 'green light',
and feel quite convicted that I START, and NOW !! Does that make any sense ?? :rolleyes:
Remember to purchase things you two would normally eat, and simply get extras to set aside when on special.

Try the 'what if' concepts, and consider what you would do without, say, power for a few weeks ... don't forget that water treatment plants can't operate long without the power grid, either !!
When I do that, I want: fresh water, electricity (generator?.. almost there), ways to deal with food in freezers (all of my stuff is already cooked, then re-frozen... it's also a good idea to have frozen water in there to extend the time it all stays cold)... see ?
It's sort of a snowball scenario one can deal with.
A rather easy way to get a grip, for me, anyway. :upsidedown:

Down here in the south, our heating options aren't terribly difficult.. can pile on blankets and clothes, etc,
if we're caught without much heating stuff around. Building on that part, tho.
Just bought a few extra things for cooking, so we now have 3 ways to tackle that one, obtaining extra BBQ/LP tanks, sterno, etc. and have several food items on the shelf that only require heating one cup of water to = a decent meal.
That can spare on cooking fuel, not to mention water rations.
The list that Daddio has re-posted is a SUPER concept that I'm employing, myself, too .. depending on our likes and dislikes.

You're doing well, just "getting it" !! :)

For sure, LOAD UP ON WATER, Harmon !!
Blessings !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a bug in situation going on our property. With stored food items lasting from 3 months to a full year I feel pretty good. I still buy extra items when we go grocery shopping.

I have 3 or 4 different ways to heat our home or just a small room.

I have 3 or 4 ways to cook food, depending on the time of year.

I have extra clothing, blankets, dishes, pots, material, tools, firewood, guns/ammo.

I have a garden/orchard and a bee hive that I will dry/can extra food from. I am looking into the future and how well I can provide for myself if the SHTF.
what are some of the ways you plan on heating your home??

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
A couple 3 or 4 lp gas lanterns will put out enough heat to keep the chill off,and provide light if the power is out.Worth keeping handy.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
With all the "hush hush" conversation that you hear about things heading toward another great depression; I've been def. thinking hard about "what if" possiblities. you know, what if it gets so bad that ppl can't afford electricity, what if food is extremely hard to get/find, and so on and so on. so my question is what do you do??

I currently live in a house with no other heating source than a ac/heating unit, I look in my pantry and we have enough food to last about a week (basicly my dad and myself, we eat out alot), and as far as protection goes we're covered. But IF it did get bad our house would basicly be useless, rather than to keep us out of the elements.

So i guess what I'm looking for is to see what people in the same or similar situations are doing. I work a small job and make average pay, my dad makes great money but doesn't think things will get very bad (thinks we might have to go a while without cable and a gym membership), so stocking up on food is a chore with what little extra cash i have. I've been buying basics, rice, canned vegs, and canned meat. But other that, what really can you do?? I'm looking at purchasing (in pairs) flint strikers, knives, a mess kit, sterilization tablets, first aid products, asprin, extra wool socks, long johns, wool blankets, etc.

Any thoughts, ideas, or comments that would help me out would be great.
I've said it before on other threads that I believe the day will come when people will be thankful to have a home ie: shelter, even if they don't have consistent utilities. A roof over your head is no small thing.

I do know people like your father who have their heads in the sand. Some are family members. For what ever reason, they simply will not admit that their way of life is coming to end.

Your father seems to be in a position to be able to afford preps that you can't and you mentioned that you eat out a lot. Well, now would be an excellent time to take advantage of this situation. Tell your Dad that you want to learn to cook. Help make a grocery list and go with him on shopping trips. Grab a few extra items to throw into the cart...tell him that you noticed that you were short on (you fill in the blank)______ and didn't want to run out. He might roll his eyes but I'll bet he'll humor you especially if he doesn't keep close tabs on the pantry. But I'm serious on the learning how to cook part if you don't already know how.

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
Well I would suggest protecting in place since it appears to be a money issue this cuts down on expenses. As others have said little by little keep building up your supplies. It might not seem like it at the time but it all adds up. I would still put a small BOB together just in case as well.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Preparation for no electricity:

Warm clothes - layering undershirts, warm socks, etc.
Good warm blankets
Maybe even a sleeping bag
Good solar powered/crank/battery powered radio
A couple of crank/solar/battery lamps, flashlights, etc.
Flashlight that takes small batteries that can be recharged in a solar charger
candles
Kerosene lantern
Method of cooking - camp stove, gas grill, lots of fuel
Non electric can openers :)

If you can find a closet where you can keep all the stuff you already have and will purchase in the near future, you will look at your stuff and realize that you aren't doing badly. Just start now!

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Big thing is don't panic. When you panic you have given in. The posts above are all on the money. get prepared now. but do it in an orderly fashion. Get your food supplies up by buying what you eat now just lay in more each time you go to store. Since you don't have a gun now from what I could gather, I would recommend you keep it simple. go for a 22 Long rifle round product. Stay within your means. buy at least 2 bricks of 22 LR (500 rounds each). If you can swing it get a Ruger 10-22 with extra mags. For a hand gun look for something in 9MM. it is the most common NATO round out there. Again work within your budget. Buy at least 500 rounds of 9MM if you get the gun.

Biggest thing you can do is to get as much information in print as you can. make a plan for what you need to do and stick to your plan. Don't overspend and get yourself in more trouble.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
H-

This is reposted from another thread, but I think it fits your scenario:

For just $ 5.00 +/- (per week) you can buy the following storable things:

FOOD ITEMS

* Five packages of Idahoan instant potatoes (flavored)
* A case of ramen noodles (20 pkgs)
* five cans of sardines
* five gallons of purified water
* nearly two cases of bottled water
* four cans of peaches, pears or fruit cockatail
* 2 bottled of mandarin oranges
* five pounds of rice
* three to four pounds of spaghetti
* Two cans of spaghetti sauce
* three bags of egg noodles
* eight packages of gravy mix
* four cans of whole or sliced new potatos
* four cans of green beans or at least three cans of carrots, greens, peas or mixed veggies
* Two cans of Yams
* six cans of pork and beans
* one 40 ounce can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew
* Two 12 ounce cans of chicken, tuna or roast beef
* One 1lb canned ham
* three cans of refried beans
* three 12 oz cans of raviolis or spaghetti O's.
* Two 12.5 ounce cans of Salmon
* Five pounds of Oatmeal
* Four packages Dinty Moore heat and eat meals
* five packages of corn bread mix
* Four pounds of Sugar
* Five pound of Flour
* 1.5 quarts of cooking oil
* three one pound bags of dry beans
* two cans of apple juice
* a jar of peanut butter
* two boxes of yeast
* two bags of generic breakfast cereal
* 10 80z cans of tomato paste/tomato sauce
* four cans of soup
* four cans of Chunky soup
* 8-10 pounds of Iodized salt
* two bottles of garlic powder or other spices
* Two boxes of kool aid
* A can of coffee
* 2 bottles of powdered coffee creamer

Non-Food Items

* one manual can opener
* two bottles of camp stove fuel
* 100 rounds of .22lr ammo
* 25 rounds of 12 ga birdshot or small game loads
* 20 rounds of Monarch 7.62x39 ammo
* a spool of 12lb test monofilament fishing line
* 2 packages of hooks and some sinkers or corks.
* artificial lure
* two packages of soft plastic worms
* three Bic Lighters or two big boxes of matches
* A package of tea lights
* 50 ft of para cord
* a roll of duct tape
* a box of nails or other fasteners
* a flashlight
* two D-batteries, four AA or AAA batteries or two 9v batteries
* a toothbrush and tooth paste
* a bag of disposable razors
* eight bars of ivory soap (it floats)
* a box or tampons or bag of pads for the ladies
* two gallons of bleach
* needles and thread
* a ball of yarn

OTC Medications (at Dollar General)

* 2 bottles 1000 count 500 mg generic Tylenol (acetometaphin)
* 2 bottles 500 count 200 mg generic advil (ibuprofen)
* 2 boxes 24 cound 25 mg generic Benadryl (diphenhydramine HCI)--also available at walgreens under "sleep aids."
* 4 bottles 500 count 325 mg aspirin
* 2 boxes of generic sudafed
* 4 bottles of alcohol
* a box of bandages (4x4)

Go with God!
Here is the link to that thread. There are a bunch of other great ideas listed in it.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=36711

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First things first, THANKS alot for the replies to my thread and some have been extremely helpful!

I currently work for an Insurance Underwriting company (I think someone asked that), and like i said i make a little about average pay, I'm also attending college, hince the reason I live at home. So the idea of sneaking or adding some extra items while shopping with my dad wouldn't work to well....he'd just make me buy it lol. And I know how to cook, i've cooked on camp fires, outside grills, etc for practice. I'm also in the middle of making a solar oven that I'm really interested in cooking on, and I read the thread about the coffee can oven, and i think im going to start making one of those bout a little bit bigger.

Anyways thanks again for the ideas, Keep'm coming!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts