Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the new gun jitters and I am trying to figure out what I need next. I was planning on getting a .223 earlier this year, but a deal on an interordanance AK came around that I could not pass up. So now I am back wanting a .223, but also considering a .308.

I have been told that the S&W is a solid .223, but I really like the DPMS .308 as well. What do all of you wise folks feel about this two weapons?

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have been told that the S&W is a solid .223, but I really like the DPMS .308 as well. What do all of you wise folks feel about this two weapons?
The funny thing about AR15s, there maybe 50 different brands on the market but there in only a handful of companies actually machines AR15 parts. These companies produce AR15 parts and then turn around and sell them to people like DPMS and RRA etc. Now with this said you still want to stick with brands that have a solid back ground since they still demand quality parts from their producers. Anyhow, here is a small sample list of AR15 brands I would suggest: S&W, DPMS, Stag, RRA, Colt, Bushmaster, Wilson Tactical, LMT, and Larue.

More info on what I'm talking about:

http://www.semiautorifles.com/forums/f11/ar15-faq-general-info-1405.html

·
"Not vengence Punishment"
1,280 Posts
I'd go with the DPMS .308, because I'd have a secondary interest in hunting.

If you are strictly a city guy, go with .223.
Or if you can go both like I did. That way you have long range and intermittent range. Get a shotgun for close range, a pistol for closer range and a knife for holly Cr** range :D:

·
Space Cadet
656 Posts
I think you're wise to want an AK and AR. I have both and am glad to have them.

As far as caliber, only you can decide that. I went with 5.56/.223 and recommend it but it depends on what you want the rifle for.

S&W ARs are good and so are many other brands but building your own custom AR is the way to go if you want to get involved with all the components going in to YOUR rifle. I went that route and now have exactly the rifle I wanted (and couldn't find off the rack locally).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Personally, if I were to purchase a 308 semi-auto rifle, it would not be an AR platform, many reasons for this. It would be an M1a or FAL, in that order.

Given the restriction of only ARs, I would say AR15, the brands listed above is a great way to start.

If the choice is AR15 or M1a, then I recommend the M1a (FAL over the AR15 as well).

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Just saw the new Shotgun News and CDNN had an advertisment for AR 10 mags for $20. That's 1/2 what they were 4 months ago. I just picked up 2 at the last show too. :(

I'd stick with the AR over the FAL or M1A. They're great guns as long as you like it just the way it is. There's very little you can do to them and the AR can be built and modified at a fraction of the cost and then changed back again for nothing. All it takes is pulling 2 pins then pushing them back in.

I'm looking at adding .243 and .338 Federal uppers to my stable. Currently have the AR 10 with a 24" super bull barrel, from DPMS.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
If I was looking for a simple AR, no muss, no fuss then I would get a Colt 6520Gov't Carbine. Simple, accurate, reliable and very light at 5.8 lbs.

From there you can get a different upper sometime and play with optics but all a defensive carbine really needs is a light, a front tritium night sight and a good sling. I handful of 20 rd mags will sufficeuntil you start practicing and training hard.

More important though, is to get some formal instruction somewhere and take a look at various systems being used. Try them out and make your decision from there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bravo Co. Has there BCM uppers that are quality. as well as customer service is top notch. here are some spec's on there BCM upper reciever groups..

Features

M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension
M4 Feed Ramp Flat Top Receiver
T-Marked Upper Receivers
USGI 1/7 Twist Rates
USGI 5.56 NATO Chambers
Mil-Spec 11595E - Certified Barrel Steel (CMV)
Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
Manganese Phosphate Barrel Finish
Mil-Spec F-Marked Forged Front Sights
USGI Government Profile Barrels
HPT (High Pressure Test) Barrels
MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected) Barrels

LMT/ Stag are other brands you could look up and read on.. it all depends on what you are looking for. and how much your looking to spend. the above mentioned are some
that are good quality for your buck..

DSA, also has there upper on sale as well.. you would need a complete bolt carrier/charge handle. same goes for the LMT/bcm upper.

Then get yourself a complete lower Mil-spec reciever and your gtg.

DT!

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I don't think you need anything. Do you already own a pistol, a shotgun, a 22 rifle, along with you AK. Do you live in an area where it is very common to see tree edges past 300 yards?

Do you have 1 years worth of food. Do you have medical supplies? Do you have any lingwering major debt? Do you have a rural place to go to? Do you have a capability to produce a significant portion of your own food? These are more important topics.

Give me rural land and grandpa's shotgun over a million man march out of a major city into nowhere with a truck full for the latest and greatest.

Worried your future toys can't be had? Get a $100 buck lower and park it in the safe.

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
I agree. One thing you might want to consider before picking up another 'boom stick' (and trust me I know its hard) make sure you have at least 1000 rounds for your AK and your sitting decent on your other preps.

I struggle with picking up some new toys myself, and make sure I'm sitting good on all the 'goodies' before I expand my collection. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think you need anything. Do you already own a pistol, a shotgun, a 22 rifle, along with you AK. Do you live in an area where it is very common to see tree edges past 300 yards?

Do you have 1 years worth of food. Do you have medical supplies? Do you have any lingwering major debt? Do you have a rural place to go to? Do you have a capability to produce a significant portion of your own food? These are more important topics.

Give me rural land and grandpa's shotgun over a million man march out of a major city into nowhere with a truck full for the latest and greatest.

Worried your future toys can't be had? Get a $100 buck lower and park it in the safe.
I already have a 40 cal (1500 rounds) 9mm (1000 rounds) couple of 12ga (800 rounds) 22 Rifle (thousands of rounds) have 2000 rounds for AK. I have a deep supply of food and expand it weekly. Have family in the medical fields and have access to everything I would ever need and most people would love to have. Have a BOL, parents house, with all the "amenities" desired. Including 3 ways to produce power and plenty of water. The only thing I lack is living at my BOL, but due to job that is not currently feasible. In short I have a decent understanding of the prepping lifestyle and work every day to increase my knowledge. I do not have an indepth knowledge of High Capacity Rifles, grew up with shotguns and bolt actions. That is why I posed this question on this board. Thank you everyone for the answers, now I just need to convince my wife I really need both. Or better yet that she needs the S&W and I need the DPMS.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have the new gun jitters and I am trying to figure out what I need next. I was planning on getting a .223 earlier this year, but a deal on an interordanance AK came around that I could not pass up. So now I am back wanting a .223, but also considering a .308.

When all else fails, just buy them both then you can't lose (well maybe your wife, but really when you get down to it.......):xeye:

·
Registered
867 Posts
The funny thing about AR15s, there maybe 50 different brands on the market but there in only a handful of companies actually machines AR15 parts. These companies produce AR15 parts and then turn around and sell them to people like DPMS and RRA etc. Now with this said you still want to stick with brands that have a solid back ground since they still demand quality parts from their producers. Anyhow, here is a small sample list of AR15 brands I would suggest: S&W, DPMS, Stag, RRA, Colt, Bushmaster, Wilson Tactical, LMT, and Larue.

More info on what I'm talking about:

http://www.semiautorifles.com/forums/f11/ar15-faq-general-info-1405.html
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that somewhere, someone is producing the "naughty" parts for the black market under the guise of legal production.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I am of the ammo consolodation crowd. It may be better to get a 2nd AK or SKS.

(1) $1000 AR = (1) $500 AK + 2000 rounds ammo. There are some theories that cheaper is not better. However, a 200 yard gun is still a very capable firearm.

Another option (1) $1000 AR = (2) $250 SKS's + 2000 rounds of ammo.

I am one man, but have several other adults who do not buy their own firearms in my household. I have chosen the SKS for economic reasons. I have one for each of them plus a spare rifle, plus basic spare parts for each and complete spares for two. I know these guns well and can fix and clear problems quickly. For repair purposes, I can swap parts to see if problems are solved too.

I live in NY and semi-autos are overpriced because of certain state law limitations on bayonettes, muzzlebrakes, and such. For the price of one good AR, I purchased several capable SKS's. Ammo is a close tie in price, with 7.62x39 in the lead. However, AR folks brag about accuracy. In this case the inexpensive .223 is out the window for a comparison. I have had great luck with the yugoslavian SKS. Roughly 2-3" groups at 100 yards with iron sights. Yugos are more recently imported and most have been rearsenaled and not fired since import.

As far as toys go, having the same rifles can get dull at the range.

I think an AR is a more user friendly platform. I prefer peep sights over open sight anyday myself. The AR had less recoil than the SKS / AK. AR is easier to reload another mag into. I also think AK and AR's are the same in reliability. AK's are a bit better, but your buying a used rifle.

A way to get the good of an AK without the bad of an AK is to buy a saiga rifle and convert it. Or buy a converted one.

http://www.lancasterarms.com/NEW SAIGA RIFLES.html

conversion parts. Roughly $500 to buy a saiga and make it a AK-47 styled firearm.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=335

http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/misc_parts.html

1 - 20 of 26 Posts