Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to a local gunshow this weekend and have a few dollars that are burning a hole in the pocket. What is my collection needing next? So far I have:

Smith &Wesson M&P 15 5.56
Mosin Nagant 7.62x54
Browning A-bolt 338 win mag
marlin 795 22
marlin 336 30-30
mossberg maverick 12ga
mossberg 500 12ga
ruger mark 1 22
smith and wesson 22a 22
hi-point c9 9mm

So thats what I have so far I am kinda leaning toward buying a real handgun thats not a 22 or a hi-point but definetly up for suggestions.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Target shooting? SHTF gun? Home defense? Concealed carry? Collectible? What are you wanting? What characteristics are most important to you? Are you trading anything? How many dollars are we talking?

Not knowing any of the above, I'd say Glock or Springfield 9mm/.40/.45 (second tier Ruger or Taurus imo, depending on budget)
or
1911 .45

Whatever fits your interest/budget

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess just something fun just kinda a young and slow collector of sorts. I go out and do a lot of plinking with friends and some hunting. I'm really thinking a 45 is out I havent ever shot one that felt comfortable to me and kinda expensive to shot a lot. Budget is prolly around 500-800.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I guess just something fun just kinda a young and slow collector of sorts. I go out and do a lot of plinking with friends and some hunting. I'm really thinking a 45 is out I havent ever shot one that felt comfortable to me and kinda expensive to shot a lot. Budget is prolly around 500-800.
Sounds like you want to get a decent 9mm then - ammo is cheap so you can plink away.

Can't go wrong with a Glock 19 or a Springfield XD.

·
"This is my Boomstick!"
1,774 Posts
For 9mm handguns, check out the FNP-9 or if you can find a Sig P226 for under $800.

I highly recommend trying them out first though if your local firing range has them to rent.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Going to a local gunshow this weekend and have a few dollars that are burning a hole in the pocket. What is my collection needing next? So far I have:

Smith &Wesson M&P 15 5.56
Mosin Nagant 7.62x54
Browning A-bolt 338 win mag
marlin 795 22
marlin 336 30-30
mossberg maverick 12ga
mossberg 500 12ga
ruger mark 1 22
smith and wesson 22a 22
hi-point c9 9mm

So thats what I have so far I am kinda leaning toward buying a real handgun thats not a 22 or a hi-point but definetly up for suggestions.
I'd look for a handgun (probably a 1911), but I'd also recommend that you grab a nice Mosin Nagant for your collection if you see a good one. Mosins are just a ton of fun. :thumb:

·
Old Soldier
5,069 Posts
Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum. Just in case you really, really, need to kill something.
You should be able to find one for $400-$500 used. Slightly more new.
After all, you did mention "a real handgun".:D:
Mine's in the sock/underwear drawer right at this moment in time loaded with 240 grain JSP's.:thumb:

·
Spectre
595 Posts
I picked up a Taurus 24/7 pro a few years back and have but a few thousand rounds down range and love the gun. 17 rounds (9mm), extra clips are only $23.99, and very accurate.
The heine sights take some getting used to though. That and you can share ammo with the hi-point. The 1911 would be my choice for a .45, pretty reliable, a bit bulky in my opinion though.
If you can get a decent ak for a good price there fun to shoot as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You really need a decent handgun (nothing really wrong w/ a highpoint)

9mm - glock, CZ, Beretta, Sig, 1911 (yeah, I went there)
45 - 1911, glock, Sig
Revolver 357 or 44 - S&W, Ruger

·
Registered
924 Posts
Is the intention to increase the "collection" or increase your SHTF utility?

If it's to increase the "collection", what does it matter what you buy? Get something shiney that twist your crank and be happy.

If your putting together a SHTF battery, I'd sell or trade the whole lot and get a good 9mm handgun like a G19 and a good carbine like a quality AR, lots of mags, some webbing and ammo. If you feel flush get .22LR conversions for both. Any SHTF hunting that might be needed can be done with these weapons, especialy with the .22 LR conversions. For most folks hunting after SHTF is going to be pretty risky anyway, way better to store it or raise it.

MOST IMPORTANT!

I'd spend the rest of the coin on some quality training. If you can't do a 2 second standing to kneeling snap on a 10" plate at 100 yards with your carbine or a 1 1/2 second controled pair from concealment at 10ft on an IDPA target, your too slow and need some training. If you don't know how to turn the curb into cover while engaging with your carbine or draw and hit with your handgun while shoving a loved one to cover you need some training.

I personally think it's a little late to worry much about "collecting".

Cheers,

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,451 Posts
The next thing to invest is should probably be reloading gear. You don't have to spend that much to get started and it allows you to make better quality ammo for less money. This lets you shoot more and maintain a higher level of proficiency, and store more ammo. Plus you can reload that brass later on, so it's like having even more ammo stored.

·
Registered
21,898 Posts
To be honest it looks like you've got it pretty much covered. My only addition might be a higher-quality sidearm. Maybe another 9mm (Maybe Beretta or Glock) or even a .45

·
Registered
21,898 Posts
Is the intention to increase the "collection" or increase your SHTF utility?

If it's to increase the "collection", what does it matter what you buy? Get something shiney that twist your crank and be happy.

If your putting together a SHTF battery, I'd sell or trade the whole lot and get a good 9mm handgun like a G19 and a good carbine like a quality AR, lots of mags, some webbing and ammo. If you feel flush get .22LR conversions for both. Any SHTF hunting that might be needed can be done with these weapons, especialy with the .22 LR conversions. For most folks hunting after SHTF is going to be pretty risky anyway, way better to store it or raise it.

MOST IMPORTANT!

I'd spend the rest of the coin on some quality training. If you can't do a 2 second standing to kneeling snap on a 10" plate at 100 yards with your carbine or a 1 1/2 second controled pair from concealment at 10ft on an IDPA target, your too slow and need some training. If you don't know how to turn the curb into cover while engaging with your carbine or draw and hit with your handgun while shoving a loved one to cover you need some training.

I personally think it's a little late to worry much about "collecting".

Cheers,
You hit a few points that have been dogging at me from the periphery.

In a SHTF, how important is having 10 low to medium quality guns? Am I better off having 2-3 high quality and high utility guns with good gear, and money spent on ammo and training? I keep thinking......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts