Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
OO look Pretty Lights!!!!
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out what I need to buy for my preps. Its for my wife, my self and a baby ( to be born around April 14). I live in an apartment so I am limited on my space. I have a buggit of around $1000. We do really have any were to bug out to but may be family's house.

What I have so far:

9mm pistil - about 100 rounds
siga AK 47- about 600 rounds
38 special revolver- 100 rounds
30-06 bolt action- 100 rounds
20 ga -100 round bird shot
22 - 500 rounds

Tent, boot, sleeping bags, bob (both me and the wife), knifes, yard tools, hand tools, some cameo cloths, some caned food and little bit of other food store.

I work for a sporting good store and my wife works for Wal-Mart. So we get discounts there. If you can put stuff that you can buy form these places. Also can you tell me a cheap place to buy MREs. Also don't forget about the baby on the way (I don't really know what to buy as in bug out stuff for him or her).

Thank you

·
Registered
29 Posts
depending on the shtf here's somethings to consider:
walking, riding bikes or running vehicle?
how much weight can you carry without a vehicle or something to carry it in?
how much can your wife carry in current condition or closer to time of baby arrival?
how far are you going and are there supplies when you get there?

most people i have talked to say there b-o-b's are around 35 to 40lbs. mine is just under 30# without water. walmart has good camping supplies, so buy as if you were going camping for a week with the family:
two person tent, mess kit, good knife, ponchos, spaceblanket, hydration pack, so on and so forth you have a good start.
walmart sells a survival kit and they have a firstaid kit for around $8.
this is just my suggestion. good luck scout2driver

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I am looking at is MREs, Gortex rain gear, more boots, ammo,extra mags for all of my guns,big whiled wagon(that I can hook my dogs to),may be some more guns (45,12, Bulgarian or Romanian AK 47) ,some army surplus stuff ie. cameo, Ghillie suit, new bob, big first aid bag. There wont be any preps where ever we bug out to (my family and hers are not really in the mind set) so we will have to bring it with us.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
Dude, you have plenty of guns ,and with a preg. wife ,as of now ,and a baby coming ,bugging out is not a real option. Think of preparing for a future where a major catastrophe is not eminent. Invest your money in precious metals, gold and silver are very affordable RIGHT NOW. Silver closed at $10.66 an oz. today. A few months ago silver was $21 per oz. Most experts would claim that precious metals will skyrocket again in the coming months. Do yourself and your family a favor ,buy silver immediately,as much as you can afford and hold onto until it hits $20+ per oz. again.

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dude, you have plenty of guns ,and with a preg. wife ,as of now ,and a baby coming ,bugging out is not a real option. Think of preparing for a future where a major catastrophe is not eminent. Invest your money in precious metals, gold and silver are very affordable RIGHT NOW. Silver closed at $10.66 an oz. today. A few months ago silver was $21 per oz. Most experts would claim that precious metals will skyrocket again in the coming months. Do yourself and your family a favor ,buy silver immediately,as much as you can afford and hold onto until it hits $20+ per oz. again.
I have investments set up already for the future I have metals and savings. Mainly I am just looking for preps.

·
BM2 Hollywood
667 Posts
Looks like you have enough weapons. You might want to add more rounds though. Also, look at getting more bulk type of food stuff. Check with your wife, have her talk to the Dept mgr for foods. Ask what is the fastest mover, that's what you want to get. Also, think if your house was not a place that you could live in (walls broken, damaged). Now, go back to sporting goods dept and start picking up stuff. Not just the "fancy, fun stuff to have, look at getting tarps to help cover broken windows, extra heavy duty locking hasps, several feet of nylon line, heavy duty duck tape, simple every day tools.

·
Registered
497 Posts
With a baby on the way you might consider a maya wrap. It's not as sexy as the other stuff but it will keep a newborn quiet during travel and either of you can carry it. It allows breast feeding with privacy and a free hands to work with. After that it makes a good sling bag if you can stand to look a little different then most.
http://www.mayawrap.com/

With a baby coming don't forget to get some baby tylenol and stock up on it. the last thing you want is a fever and closed stores. Diapers are a must either cloth (my choice) or if disposable make sure you have plenty. Unless your family has them normally as part of their lives they won't have them where your going. Even if they do they won't have enough.

Clothing clothing clothing for the baby sleepers are cheap and the baby will blow through them like wild fire. I know some people hate them but we buy from the Value village it's a used clothing store. I know I know it's my first baby and I want only new clothing. We did that after the 1st one though they grow through clothing so fast.

If you can find it Pedialite (sp). You might need a doctor for that but if you can have it on hand. Baby's don't like changes to their routine this may cause diarehia(sp).

I'm not trying to tell you how to run your life if you can though Breastfeeding is the best idea (I know you guys get six weeks unpaid Mat leave we get a year up here). The milk is always the right temperture already mixed and ready to go no need to sterilize bottles while on the move. Again just a suggestion. This means less things in the BOB like formula and less weight to haul on foot. If you can't breast feed I'd say you'd need formula a lot pack as much supply of formula as you can adult people can eat anything baby's are meant for liquid food. For bottle feeding you might want to consider the playtex drop in system no need to boil the whole bottle except the nipple the baby drinks from for the movement phase it's an option. if you can find a nipple holding ring that can fit both a glass bottle and liner drop in bottle. Use the Glass bottle normally and the liners when boiling is difficult

http://www.playtexproductsinc.com/infant/bottleFeeding_nurser.asp

I decide to work on the kid end as other guys have more exprience with your question then I do. I'm just getting started and I have been struggling with preping with kids.

·
BM2 Hollywood
667 Posts
Also, watch out for "cheep MRE's" I learned the hard way. Got a couple of cases a couple of years ago, no heaters and not the quality of real MRE's.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Im not saying silver won't go up but just be careful, most stock brokers and investment advisors are saying that the commodities run has ended, silver is a commodity. Might want to look elsewhere because institutional money drives runups and selldowns a lot of the time and if they aren't buying anytime soon then maybe it isn't a good idea. Always do your own research.

·
Registered
871 Posts
i would invest in some cloth dipers for the baby
baby formula "if wife don't breast feed"
pediactric book and little book on first aid tecs.
like some others have said do some research on the envioment and conditions to were your bugging out that will help you determin the gear you need, this just some adivice from my wife and i hope it helps, considering we been in the wilderness with babies before and let us tell ya cloth dipers are a life saver.

·
Registered
604 Posts
My daughter is turning 7 and son is 3 this is what we did.

1. Powdered formula 6 week supply rotated in 2 week batches. Continuously using a 2 week supply down to a months worth and replacing every payday.

2. Month worth of diapers(You will learn how to tell when to use up stash and replace with next size, there is an overlap period where both sizes will fit.)

3. Infant tylenol and motrin 3-4 bottles each.(The bottles are tiny and when you have to use it, it goes fast. Get both because with a bad fever you can give a dose of both without fear of overdose.)

4. Get a couple of bladder bottles and plenty of liners. Playtex work fine. We went this route because there are no glass bottles to break, boil or attempt to clean under poor conditions.

5. Travel playpen. We found that it worked great as a crib while traveling for my work.

6. Lastly, wipes and wipes and more wipes. There is no such thing as too many.

One thing that was always useful was gallon ziplock freezer bags. You can put several dirty diapers in one if a trash can isn't available. They are also a must to put wet clothes in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts