Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other thread inspired me to open this one, to pass on anything that your grandparents taught you:

Mine did the following:

Any preserves in jars that have a lid that can be popped up and down before first opening are off, and should be chucked away.

Clean up as you go in cooking.

Dont open the kitchen back door when your baking cakes, and dont slam doors either.

Pastry is an art form, if its made properly it is a luxury matched by none.

Turnips can be used in cakes as well as Carrots.

Wrap any peelings in newspaper before putting in the bin. Tidy your kitchen after ever use.

You can navigate by following your nose (Ie the smell of the sea). Stop and smell the roses regularly, life is too short.

Knitting is very relaxing and good to exercise the mind.

Always be presentable, wear clean underwear and carry a hanky.

Remember the wild life is important, feed them some scraps if you can.

You can be neat and tidy without being minimalistic. You just need good and sneaky storage.

If you have the Diarrhoea, then have a banana, it helps stop it.

Dynomite comes in small packages (a favourite saying of my grandmother who was 4 ft 11, could shoot like a soldier and punch like one too).

And one saying one of my grandmothers loved was from Shakespear and basically says - Be true to yourself and you wont go far wrong.

There are loads more which dont come to mind et, but I will add them when they do. So what are yours?

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
My grandmother taught me to crochet. She also "taught" me to rake leaves... sigh. :) I was always welcome to help her cook. She taught me about the past. She took clever methods for doing things for granted, but me and my cousins learned from it. She taught me to pull and fold sheets... sigh.... She took me outside to pick mushrooms. I never learned the edible ones though. She taught me the value of having a garden, and how lovely homegrown tastes. She taught me love when no one else bothered. She taught me to grieve, when she died.

My grandfather (on the other side of the family) taught me about the stars. He taught me that old people still can learn, use their minds and learn a lot! He encouraged me to learn science, in his quiet way of doing so. He taught me the value of books, by the mere presence of a "library" in his home. He died when i was a young teen, so I never came to understand how similar we really were.

·
Registered
929 Posts
If you can't afford gas, kerosene works just as well. But it chucks up huge plumes of white smoke.
When skinning an animal, when you come to the nose, don't pull, use the sharp edge of your knife to edge around the button and ease it off. This preserves the nose-button, which keeps the price of the pelt high.
Be quiet when fishing or frogging.
You can eat all of the frog, not just the legs.
Keep your knees in when riding, and use them to hold on.
Use butter, margarine is for wimps.
When using a cast iron skillet, use lard to grease it. It makes whatever you're cooking taste that much better.
Use everything in the animal, except the gullet, stomache and anus.

·
Registered
75 Posts
my grandfather on my mom's side told me that killing Nazis was the single most important thing he ever did. The extermination of a race of people was something no man should support.

my grandmother on my dad's side pretty much raised me. I have her to thank for the morals and values I carry today.

May the both rest in peace, bless their souls.

·
I ain't doing that!!
6,750 Posts
The cows can't wait ... EVER (he was a dairy farmer). Neither can Grandma.:)

Have a kind heart and go quietly about your business. God will attend to the details.

Do not draw unnecessary attention to yourself. Take notice of others, especially those who draw unnecessary attention to themselves (and stay away from them).

And long before it became a cliche: Trust but verify.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
These are all wonderful pearls of wisdom and knowledge. Thanks so much for sharing them. I hardly knew my grandparents- my one grandfather was a stern, rough pioneer type. He wasn't much for teaching anything. I never knew my grandmothers. :(

·
old hand
7,441 Posts
grampa Kenny

... taught me to drive a pick-up.

He showed me how to mix mud, and how to see the face in a stone and lay it open with a chisle.

By following his example, I learned to grumble, argue, and keep a small bottle of whisky in the tool box.

I watched him reconcile with his brother when both were old men
... so I learned to never let issues interfere with family and friendships.

He showed me it is alright for a man to cry.

·
The Over 40 Club
1,412 Posts
One Grandfather was a country Preacher , he taught me the love of the Bible at a very young age and that God listens to us when we talk to him , but that his plans for us aren't always the same as what we think we want.

The other Grandfather was a farmer , he taught me that hard work pays off , and to be as self reliant as possible.

One Grandmother was a terrible cook , and she taught me ( even if she didn't realize it ) that if you want something good to eat learn how to cook for yourself.

The other Grandmother taught me that even if you are poor , not to be ashamed of it , just to never be poor in your character.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
I think the most imporant thing I learned from any of my grandparents was from my Mom's father. He told me once, 40 years or so ago, "If you ever have an opportunity to take a test or get a license do it. You never know when that will be the difference between getting ahead or being left behind."

What he was saying is "Luck is where opportunity meets preparation."

I miss that old man... He wasn't the warm and cuddly type grandpa, but he was always kind and nurturing... He led by example.

Allan

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
my Grandpa taught me how to mend a fence, take care of cows, chickens, and hogs and how to butcher all. He also taught me how to sharpen a knife, maybe not like they do it now with a wheel but with a stone.

·
Taoist
2,023 Posts
Not much other than Methodist church services are way boring. They were city folks and died when I was young. I did learn a few choice swear words when Grandma was trying to defrost the freezer.

·
The Power of III
1,365 Posts
My grandmother taught me how to:

hand sew
embroidery
crochet
work crossword puzzles
plant and harvest a vegetable garden (by hand and with mules)
tend to flowers in a green house
preserve foods (canning)
make butter
make sauerkraut
to always scrape the butter off the wrapper
to always shake all the sugar out of the package
to cook
to bake
to not use recipes
to clean up as you go along while cooking
to use cast iron
to braid
how to pick the best bacon at the store
how to nap during the heat of the day and work when it is cool
to trust my instincts

My grandfather taught me
how to ride a horse (western and gaited)
how to squirrel hunt
to pay attention to politics
to trust my instincts

And much more I'm sure than I'm remembering for this list. Miss them both and wish they were here today to help guide us through these troubling times.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Take a tape measure with you when you shop for clothes to make sure the arms are long enough.

Check the buttons on shop clothes, some are very badly attached.

Have three regular meals.

Everthing in balance.

You cant always look after everyone else, sometimes you just have to look after you.

Standing in a door frame, or under the stairs is a safe place to stand in a bomb raid (she went through the War).

·
Registered
200 Posts
My mawmaw took me walking in the woods and showed me plants to eat and some not to eat. I wasn't was not even old enough for school yet so I don't recall all the things she said. I can recognize a few still. She used to sneak me into the neighbors garden and have me snatch up a few turnips to chew on while we walked. She was Cherokee and Irish. She taught me spiritualism and superstitions that I sorted out later.
Grandpaw taught me not to wake mawmaw from her nap. She slept with an old bolt action rifle. I never knew why.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was lucky enough to be raised by my grandparents so i to learn everything, 5 generations of LEO on grand dad's side and learned to cook, bake and respect for women from my grand mother, they are both gone now but i am thankful for everything i learned from both of them.

·
Red Barn Workshop, LLC.
1,001 Posts
Never knew my grandparents that well, but I do know then my PawPaw could catch a fish when everyone else went home empty handed. Also that a hard days work is a good thing!

·
Potential Roux-Ga-Roux
1,426 Posts
My papa taught me that a man's (or woman's) word is their bond. Watch what someone does, not what they say. Don't start a fight but don't run from one. Girls are just as good as boys. You can love and worship God anywhere, doesn't always have to be in church. Climb on a horse from the left side. Hard work never killed anybody.

·
Ironic, isn't it?
155 Posts
-"There's a little devil inside every can of beer" - direct quote from my grandmother
-Home canned beans taste better than store bought beans
-Think about what's downstream (That's 1920's "green")
-Forgive those who have wronged you - but don't forget.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts