Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 599 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me just preface this by saying this is not ANOTHER "are you watching" or "i watched did you?" thread about The Colony. So like most others on this site i watched Discovery Channels show "The Colony", so i wanted to start a thread on what you learned from watching it. For those that did not get to catch it, look for reruns. Lets discuss some of the things that you saw that inspired you, things you said WTF??? to, lessons learned negative or positive, prepping ideas, small group dynamics, and everything in between. Hopefully we can keep this thread alive as the series plays out and use it as an educational tool at the end to review and make adjustments. I will get the ball rolling...........2 things of the many i observed....

1. Having some sort of gear hauler. I have to give credit to Jerry Young ( you rock dude:thumb:) for this idea as it is not mine. He has said it a hundred times GAME CART! When i first saw him post about the game cart, i was like, no i do not need that. The more i thought about i was like Yep i have too much [email protected]*, i need to get a game cart. After seeing them navigate the river bank(they said river walk, but whatever) i saw the the potential for using a gear hauler. So before last night i had planning on buying one soon, now i am going to buy one this week.

2. SECURITY!!!!! I have always stressed in my mind and to my friends how important security is. The volunteers had no security in the beginning and developed very crude methods as the days progressed. OPSEC is critical! If you have 10 years of food and water, that's great for the bad guys if you can not secure it or defend it. There is the rule of 4 main things to do in an emergency- shelter, fire, water, food. In my mind its shelter/security together. Your looking for shelter? Make sure you can secure it to some degree. I believe that had the show not been an experiment, the marauders that came both nights would have killed or chased off the people(the volunteers) living in the sanctuary. Keep security tight!!:D:

Next person your thoughts......

N-

·
Registered
233 Posts
I thought the whole battery and inverter set up was pretty cool. In a warehouse like that I think that's a fairly realistic scenario considering how many forklifts and what not would be around.

The water filtration idea in a bucket was awesome but i would have filtered it a second time. Maybe use some of that cheese cloth in a first unit with sand and charcoal. Followed by the sand and charcoal in the second. I could see them having to change/clean out the 1 bucket setup if too much big debris would get in and sand and charcoal does not look easy to take apart and put back together without making a messy slop.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Also.

Sleeping together in the winter might be needed but in the summer I think it is a bad idea. If one person becomes ill and everyone is sleeping together chances are the whole group will become ill. Even if everyone doesn't the more people that become ill the greater the chances are of you (the uninfected one) getting sick/becoming a zombie.

·
Servo quod Servo
379 Posts
Seemed to me they had too much area to secure, I would have tried to move to an area/place easier to maintain and secure. Of course you can tell the whole area was "Salted" with stuff for them to "Find".

I would also have covered over the "Sanctuary" paint and arrows leading to the door....

I also liked the battery array....neat idea

Wes

·
Staple and File
39 Posts
Seemed to me they had too much area to secure, I would have tried to move to an area/place easier to maintain and secure. Of course you can tell the whole area was "Salted" with stuff for them to "Find".

I would also have covered over the "Sanctuary" paint and arrows leading to the door....

Wes
i agree, the place was definitely waaaaaay too big. it will take forever to properly secure the place.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
I learned from the 47yr-old Handyman [Mike??] that you need to let go of some luxury and habitual items like beer, [chewing] tobacco/tobacco products, coffee [i'm NOT a coffee drinker].

All of my friends and co-workers are coffee junkies, and "can't function in the AM without a cup of coffee". Me, i'll miss drinking grapefruit and orange juice in the mornin'. Kiss bacon & eggs good-bye!

I need to get a game cart to haul stuff due to my bad lower back..

The show itself was kinda hokey, but demonstrates some good, basic bug-in techniques and social interaction between complete strangers in dire times of need.

Not letting them have access to firearms is liberal and fake! Approximately 263 million firearms in the US... Very simply, one man armed with a gun could take over their whole operation at the warehouse.

No firearms= fail

I learned that it might be okay to have one hippie in your group. But only one.
LoL

·
"Beware!" J.R.R. Tolkien
152 Posts
I initially thought the show was a bit hokey too, but as it progressed I began to feel differently. Obviously, the four basics were realized as critical by all. They overlooked developing a "chain of command". Even though they didn't know one another someone should have discussed and decided who would initially take the lead. Poor 'ol Mike; Thought processes pretty good and a bright guy, but chill a little. Alienating the members of your group won't work very well in the long haul.

Introduction of the next four was interesting. My guess is that the ones willing to throw the doors open and greet them were the liberals in the bunch. We'll see how those characters develop.

Looking forward to next week!

By the way, anyone noticed the upswing in the number of shows discussing survival? Last night on Coast to Coast the topic was SHTF scenarios likely within the next 2 yrs.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
By the way, anyone noticed the upswing in the number of shows discussing survival? Last night on Coast to Coast the topic was SHTF scenarios likely within the next 2 yrs.
Yes.I have noticed this.More shows seem to be focusing on survival and food growing,its as though its beginning to become more mainstream now.

·
Μολὼν λαβ
1,199 Posts

Wes
Its a good idea, but they are living in the middle of a dark city with no electricity. The last thing I would want to do is attract attention. Those lights at night will do nothing but attract attention from all over. Especially because there are no lights anywhere for miles around. Even dull lights are easily spotted.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
After trying to watch it for about 10 minutes( while yelling "you've got to be s#!tt!ng me" about 15 times) I turned it off and cleaned guns. Whats this about them letting more people in? I bet they had no food or water with them,so the idiots probally felt sorry for the sheep and opened the doors, didn't they! Maybe they should invite the bikers in next, those poor misguided souls just need a big hug to feel better about themselfs!!! Sheeple Sheeple BBHHHAAAHHHH rant rant rave rave.... and no I still dont feel better!!!!!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I know this is coming up in the next episode, but the newcomers should have already commented on the solar array they walked past on thier way there. The water filter was basic but the stove / grill they made on top of the fire barrel was pretty smart.

·
American Infidel
2,670 Posts
I had to keep reminding myself that it was a TV show and they couldn't give them guns. I thought the battery system was pretty cool. I thought the place was to large for 6 people to secure. I wondered why they didn't send more teams out to scout and scavenge. And I thought that I would have a hard time with some of the more liberal attitudes. The girl who wanted to welcome the new comers with open arms and the one that cried about the women cooking and cleaning would not have worked for me.

For the limitations that they have by being a TV show I figured it was a pretty good simulation.

1 - 20 of 599 Posts