Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
301 - 320 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Or what about opening up a SP pocket to accept a large pistol primer? Same story, many many LP, not so many SP. There seems to be plenty of brass left, but I would need to figure out a better way than the Fred Flintstone method I just used.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I'd be a lot more eager to swap Sr for sp rather than messing with reaming out primer pockets.
I agree with trubulator, might be pushing the envelope bit too far. I have heard guys swap out standards for magnums, pistol for rifle, but never small for large.

Reactions: Wyomike

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
SHTF, all cards that are on the table would be playable. Just let the “slow” people in your group to do the testing.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
So from what I understand the rate of ignition is increased. Something like SRP can work in place of SPP because all of the priming ignition burn all the powder with some priming burn left over but SPP in place of SRP won’t have enough ignition to burn all the rifle powder fast enough.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I made some 38s with 5.2 grains of Unique (Alliant’s recommended starting load is 5.4), and 125 grain cast bullets, and CCI #400 small rifle primers. I’ve only used cast bullets a few times, though, and that was most all with a taper crimp. But the only .38 bullets I have are cast. These look right, do you think? Where I have the crimp, and how much of a crimp? I’m going to put them in my trusty S&W 357, right before I come home tomorrow. That way, if I have to swing by the ER, the whole trip won’t be a bust.

Bullet Ammunition Cylinder Gun accessory Gas
Bullet Gun accessory Cylinder Ammunition Metal

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I might seat them a hair deeper, but they look good to me. Cast bullets and 38 special are a natural match. Shoot them. In a 357 you have an enormous margin of error as far as pressure goes, so I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I might seat them a hair deeper, but they look good to me. Cast bullets and 38 special are a natural match. Shoot them. In a 357 you have an enormous margin of error as far as pressure goes, so I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying.
I wondered about crimping right there where the lube is. I wondered where to crimp them period. Don’t I need some kind of groove where the crimp is? Do you want the lube all the way inside the case? I wouldn’t keep asking, but here’s part of my free bullet collection. I need to figure them out.

Dishware Silver Serveware Tableware Font Drinkware Barware Stemware Jewellery Silver

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Ah, did not catch taht you crimped in the lube groove. Instead you want to crimp in the crimp groove, which is the groove above the one you crimped in. They should still fire just fine, but generally you want to crimp in the very top group and leave the lube groove all the way in the brass.

Edit to add: They should look like the ones in this picture
https://cdn.athlonoutdoors.com/wp-c...ctice-Rounds-For-The-Classic-38-Special-4.jpg

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Ah, did not catch taht you crimped in the lube groove. Instead you want to crimp in the crimp groove, which is the groove above the one you crimped in. They should still fire just fine, but generally you want to crimp in the very top group and leave the lube groove all the way in the brass.
Gotcha. Thanks, useful guideline for me. I actually did the first one like that. Thought, no that can’t be right.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks, useful guideline for me. I actually did the first one like that. Thought, no that can’t be right.
Yeah, most of the bullet will be in the case. 38 special cases were originally for black powder (bulky), so there is a ton of room in the case with smokeless powders. You want the lube inside the case so it doesn't pick up dirt, dust, lint, etc. That was the huge deal with 44 Russian, the first cartridge that had the lube inside the case rather than all over the bullet. A big deal when you were outfitting the cavalry with ammunition.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Reloaded 24 44 mag with 200 grain xtp’s. In my reloading box for 44 mag I found about 4500 magnum large pistol primers. Good day.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Go ahead and make fun of me, but I’m gonna ask anyway. Why can’t one use small rifle primers in, say, 9mm or 38 special?
As others mention. You can and many do.

There's a pretty decent video around by a reloading company & he also shows pressures from fired rounds using standard small pistol, small pistol magnum & small rifle in 9mm.

He posted up the video amidst the plan-demic due to the current blight. His company also offers reloading your primers, ie you send them your primers. They reload them. Be they standard, magnum or small rifle. They do not mix them up.

Edit: found the video. Super Vel. Worth a watch, even if you DON'T plan to do so rite now. May be an option later, plus simply interesting.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I know the if you use large pistol primers in a 30-06, with light loads. Then put the in an M-1 Garand it will go full auto. The same could happen in an AR the thinner cup and a floating firing pin.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
My 38s with rifle primers worked fine. They seemed a little zippier maybe, than I would’ve expected from such a light load, but not crazy. Guess I’ll try with CCI #41s, since I have so many of those.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
My 38s with rifle primers worked fine. They seemed a little zippier maybe, than I would’ve expected from such a light load, but not crazy. Guess I’ll try with CCI #41s, since I have so many of those.
I just overpaid for a brick of those since I had none. Before you load a bunch, make sure they are not too hard for your gun to reliably set them off.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I just overpaid for a brick of those since I had none. Before you load a bunch, make sure they are not too hard for your gun to reliably set them off.
Yeah, the boxes say for 5.56. I’m not out of anything yet, but I might as well find out now if they’ll work or not.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Yep the 41’s are going to have the hardest cup of the SRP.

Glad to hear they worked out @Wyomike. wish we were close, I have a bunch of small pistol primers, we could’ve swapped them.

Reactions: Wyomike

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Yeah, the boxes say for 5.56. I’m not out of anything yet, but I might as well find out now if they’ll work or not.
I'd take a primed, empty case with a 41 primer and see if it pops.

Dunno where you are in WY, but if you make it down to the front range and ever want to swap for some Win SP, I am game.

301 - 320 of 363 Posts