Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
281 - 300 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
A chamber gauge is cut to minimum SAMMI chamber specs, and will measure length as well as diameter. My Wilson case gauge measures the shoulder and overall length. I have used the case gauge for years without a problem then I started loading 300 AAC by cutting down 223. Some of the necks are to thick and the cases are all from a single manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Want to make sure I’m not leaving out something important. Because I do not want to take all the 223 rounds apart, and you’re making me nervous. A chamber gauge and a cartridge gauge both measure finished cartridges? I only have these:

Camera accessory Automotive tire Carbon Camera lens Cylinder

·
Registered
211 Posts
I measured 223 for decades on a case gauge without any problem. The necks on a 223 are a specific thickness and as long as yours chamber in your rifle it will be fine. The chamber gauge tells you if you have sized them far enough.

Where I hit problems is I am cutting 223 brass down to make 300 AAC. The case walls, even among the same manufacturer and lot very enough to cause problems.

·
Registered
211 Posts
A chamber gauge does not measure neck thickness. That normally is not a problem, because the necks are made to a specific thickness and do not very by a bunch. Where you run into problems or trying to convert one case into a other and the wall thicknesses varies quite a bit. Since that wall is now becoming a neck you get problems.

·
What hell, pay attention
8,422 Posts
Went down to the place I usually get my powder and primers. Its a drive, but normally worth it. Place has been continually hit pretty hard, and all around, not just reloading supplies, but its looking more and more like a fire sale in there.

I was last there about 2 months ago and was able to get a mix of about 1200 primers, but with limits with most of them at around 200 of each. Still that 1200 cost me $100.

Yesterday when I asked, the boy at the counter said they havent had any, of any kind, for over a month now. When I asked what they were thinking down the road, he said probably, well into next year at a minimum. They had contacted Winchester looking for shotgun primers and the reply was the same. Winchester stated that they were making them as fast as they could, and they were going into the ammo they were loading.

Powder was just as dismal, but they did have some, and the prices while a bit more than usual, they werent raping you like some places around where I live. Mostly what they had was random pounds of whatever, with a few 4# and 8# jugs of stuff I never use. Was looking for 8# of Unique, and came home with 2#.

Not what I was hoping to see or hear, but it looks like things are going to be about slim to none for the foreseeable future. Is what it is I guess.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Went down to the place I usually get my powder and primers. Its a drive, but normally worth it. Place has been continually hit pretty hard, and all around, not just reloading supplies, but its looking more and more like a fire sale in there.

I was last there about 2 months ago and was able to get a mix of about 1200 primers, but with limits with most of them at around 200 of each. Still that 1200 cost me $100.

Yesterday when I asked, the boy at the counter said they havent had any, of any kind, for over a month now. When I asked what they were thinking down the road, he said probably, well into next year at a minimum. They had contacted Winchester looking for shotgun primers and the reply was the same. Winchester stated that they were making them as fast as they could, and they were going into the ammo they were loading.

Powder was just as dismal, but they did have some, and the prices while a bit more than usual, they werent raping you like some places around where I live. Mostly what they had was random pounds of whatever, with a few 4# and 8# jugs of stuff I never use. Was looking for 8# of Unique, and came home with 2#.

Not what I was hoping to see or hear, but it looks like things are going to be about slim to none for the foreseeable future. Is what it is I guess.
The place I’ve bought supplies now and then has all their powder locked up inside the little customer service room! 3 or 4 lonely cans on a shelf, usually. I was stopping by now and then to see what they had, but not worth driving over anymore.

·
Always Loaded
2,621 Posts
Stopped at Sportsman's. I've stopped 3 times this week. Found out today they got in 10,000 primers, on a day I missed, and they are now allowing people 1K per person instead of the previous 200. Bummer. They had 6-7 powders available. None I needed. Hunting for H335, Longshot, Varget, and REALLY want some Trail Boss.

Sized and deprimed about 800 7.62's this evening. Got some Silencerco ASR suppressor mounts a couple days ago. Plan to go test them out tomorrow.

·
NRA Life 1971
9,031 Posts
Checked out the local guy this week. He had about a dozen 1 lb containers of powder. limit of 1 per customer, and no primers. Powder prices were less that the online sites I checked.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Stopped at Sportsman's. I've stopped 3 times this week. Found out today they got in 10,000 primers, on a day I missed, and they are now allowing people 1K per person instead of the previous 200. Bummer. They had 6-7 powders available. None I needed. Hunting for H335, Longshot, Varget, and REALLY want some Trail Boss.

Sized and deprimed about 800 7.62's this evening. Got some Silencerco ASR suppressor mounts a couple days ago. Plan to go test them out tomorrow.
How much were they selling 1k of primers for?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Go ahead and make fun of me, but I’m gonna ask anyway. Why can’t one use small rifle primers in, say, 9mm or 38 special?

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
8,019 Posts
Go ahead and make fun of me, but I’m gonna ask anyway. Why can’t one use small rifle primers in, say, 9mm or 38 special?

Too much of a different type of priming compound. Rifle primers have to be hotter to ignite much larger amounts of powder. The cups are harder and thicker to better handle the higher pressures requiring stronger hammer/striker hits to ignite.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Guys have done it, I have not. Rifle primers have thicker cup, then pistol primers, so you may run into failure to fire. As always do a complete load work, and pay attention to pressures.
If you still have fingers, type is a message with your results. 😬

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Thanks. I have way more SR than I’ll probably ever use, not the same story with SP. Maybe not a good enough reason to try it, though, it sounds like.
They work just fine. If you load a sp case with sr, back off on your charge a but and work back up. Other than that, the only issue is that some of them may be hard enough that your gun may not reliabily set them off. Don't use military spec sr primers and this likely won't be an issue.

281 - 300 of 363 Posts