Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
261 - 280 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Have a thousand 220 gr .308 bullets for my 300 blackout I don't really use. Researching a 220 gr round for a 7.62x39 round. So far used 6gr of red dot, but it didn't cycle so need to work it up, very slowly since red dot has a exponential pressure curve. Thinking of switching to unique, but I could only find people in the past using red dot so sticking with that. Not to mention I'm on my last 8 lb jug of unique and still have 2 jugs of red dot.

I'm kind of posting this to see if anybody has a reputable recipe for a 220gr 7.62 x 39 round. It only has to be a cqb scenario (less than 100), not looking to accurately throw it out there 250 yards.

PM me if you do, don't want to get into the arguments over using a fast burning powder or light recoil rounds, or being accused of posting dangerous info. I've been using red dot/unique a lot during the shortage and definitely know the pros and cons, as well as, have the pressure curves darn near memorized. Note: Don't try this at home unless under qualified/experienced supervision.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
I'm kind of posting this to see if anybody has a reputable recipe for a 220gr 7.62 x 39 round. It only has to be a cqb scenario (less than 100), not looking to accurately throw it out there 250 yards.
Yeah, i give up trying to work one up myself. One last try tmrw at 7.2 and 7.5 grains, but that's my limit. I'm still waiting on a reply from the guy who was using 6.2 grains with a bored out flash hole whether his even cycled. I don't think it's gonna work with red dot. I either have to extrapolate data for a 300 blackout which is way above my paygrade or wait on finding a recipe from a known reliable source,

I guess I'll just use those extra five hundred 220 gr FMJ's in my 06. That's what happens when you buy what's available during the shortage of reloading supplies last winter.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Bought 175 .452” 300 grain jhp for $23. They were in sealed unlabeled bags. They appear to be hornady 300 grain magnums.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Been working on rifle brass prep. I am almost done with a lot of about 600 350 legend brass. Of course the only small rifle primers I have are rem 6 1/2 which are not meant for full pressure loads in this cartridge. Will have to find someone to trade with or pay up. Fortunately my muskrat and beaver load in the bolt gun is a slow moving cast bullet very much downloaded and I can shoot those with these primers no problem.

·
What hell, pay attention
8,422 Posts
Prepped a couple of hundred rounds of 38 and 357, and 150 rounds of 223 the past day or so. Picked up a couple of S&W's a little over a week ago and had to make sure they worked. They did. :)

With Ida coming in tomorrow, looks like Ill be finishing that stuff up in the morning.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I just cleaned a bunch of different caliber brass, getting them ready for the mass winter reloading season.

Reactions: NCalHippie

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Got home from the cabin and my powder was on the porch. Winchester 244. Supposed to work in all the pistol cartridges I reload, so I’m in pretty good shape now.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just finished up 100 30-338 mag with 185 gn Berger VLD hunting bullets for my long range deer gun. Next is a bunch of 223 55gn ball for medicinal emergencies.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Have any of you ever used one of those Lee hand held presses? Do you have be a **** Butkus type to use one, like for sizing 308 or 30-06? Or can your average old timer manage it?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I use the Lee hand press for depriming, or pulling bullets. If you can size any amount 30-06 cases with a Lee hand press you need forearms the size of Popeye on steroids.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have been beating my head against with my reloading equipment. My Dillon press is shooting primers all over the floor, and I am still trying to figure out what is wrong

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I use the Lee hand press for depriming, or pulling bullets. If you can size any amount 30-06 cases with a Lee hand press you need forearms the size of Popeye on steroids.
Probably OK for 9mm or 38, though? Figure I might as well try to get some done while I’m just hanging around at the cabin this winter.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I might have the primer problem on my Dillon press figured out. I have a 30 plus year old 550 reloading press and it is dropping primers all over the floor. I have replace all the plastic parts and that didn't help. Then I noticed the primer cup was not aligning with the drop tube. I realigned everything and it is time to see if I can start back to loading 10mm

·
Registered
211 Posts
I learned 2 things.

#1 just because you have a jam not and loctite on an adjustment screw, it can still work loose and it will be the last place you look.

#2 case gauges measure off the shoulder and only tell you head spacing. You need a chamber gauge to tell you of the necks are too thick on the 200 300AAC's you just loaded.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I learned 2 things.

#1 just because you have a jam not and loctite on an adjustment screw, it can still work loose and it will be the last place you look.

#2 case gauges measure off the shoulder and only tell you head spacing. You need a chamber gauge to tell you of the necks are too thick on the 200 300AAC's you just loaded.
A chamber gauge? What do they check? I only have cartridge gauges. If a sized case fits, I finish processing it. If a finished cartridge fits, I put it in the box. What’s a chamber gauge do?

261 - 280 of 363 Posts