·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new chicks for 2017
6 - Leghorns
3 -Delaware
3 - Silver laced wyandottes

This year I decided to stay away from the typical breeds and try something new.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't intend on buying any chicks for 2017..But, I wanted to chime in and say that I'm along the same lines as you with a meat & egg chicken..I purchased 5-columbian Wyandotte's...2-black laced golden wyandotte, 1-wellsummer and 1-black sex link in mid August 2016 ..I bought these particular breeds other then the sex link because they go broody and are good mom's..I have never had any of these heritage breeds before (didn't buy them through a feed store like I have for the past several years..I bought them from a online hatchery which btw I'm very pleased with) and want to have self sustaining breeds so I'm not buying new chicks every few years.

Just giving you something to think about.

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
Not buying any this year and I am going to try to not let any hens set this year either.

But next year I'll probably get some Dominiques (Domineckers) because they have a wonderful temperament and are inquisitive, busy little birds, and maybe a few Silkies, just because I love the breed and they'll hatch anything.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I am not planning on getting any additional chicks this year, but we will see. Currently in the process of improving some property; well, fence, pasture, trees etc. When the pastures have cycled and been plowed and reseeded I will probably stick with my current breeds; Ameraucana (blue wheaton), Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks. They all have performed admirably in egg and meat production. Had a couple of Buff Orpingtons - good layers, but they were really mean to the other birds. Ended up as Christmas and New Years dinners last year.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not chicks but i have ordered white and buff chancellor and mille fluer hatching eggs. I will get some leghorn and cornish cross chicks too.

Its alot harder to get heritage chicks in Canada

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
"who is John Galt?"
32 Posts
I plan on getting 15 more Dominique's. Plan on adding a Roo this year. We have had an very cold spell here and in an unheated Coop they do just fine.

They are a dual purpose bird, (meat or eggs) in the summer I get 10 eggs a day. Unfortunately the poor girls were in the middle of a molt when the Extreme cold snap hit so no eggs for about 6 weeks but they started back up last week.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
No plans to buy more stock this year. I'll breed the Buckeyes, Chanteclers and Wyandottes I have, and incubate ~80 chicks from crosses within that set.

I'll give them another year to show signs of broodiness before I decide if I'm going to pull in something like an American Game to cultivate some better parenting in the flock. I was hoping to avoid smaller ornamental breeds, despite their much greater tendency for broodiness.

·
The Lord's Servant
2,248 Posts
This is what I bought back in October. I wanted to get back into chickens and didn't want to wait till springtime. That was a big mistake as I had a 2 heat lamps going on 24/7 all during that time up till about a month ago. My daughter wanted the colorful ones, I would always be happy with the White Leghorns and a couple Buffs because they go broody and the Leghorns don't.

Black Australorp Female 1
Silver Laced Wyandotte Female
Light Brown Leghorn Female
Golden Laced Wyandotte Female
Delaware Female
White Leghorn Male
Buff Orpington Female 5
White Leghorn Female 25

·
The Lord's Servant
2,248 Posts
On a side note to my above post. I'm planning on hatching all my own from now on. I'll sell my hens when they get to be about 1-1.5 years old and keep rotating them with my new bunch.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I raise ducks, but I wasn't planning on getting more this year. Well, I was, and then I wasn't. I'm not feeling totally up to it. We got a few other things going on. Our 6 ducks (1 male) are doing quite well. We did want to raise a few ducks to eat this year, but I don't think it'll happen. I'm still averaging two eggs a day. They're definitely pulling their weight!

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get something green in their lot that they won't destroy. It was so nice, green and pretty until winter came. Now it's a barren wasteland.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
The Bielefelder chicks I got last year have just started laying, and as I am at the top end of the number I can keep, I'll probably get none this year; ok...maybe a couple of Silkies...nope, not getting any more this year...ok maybe one Silkie ;)

I still have one of the 3 Wellies I got 6 years ago, she doesn't lay any more, but I've grown attached to her so she will stay....hard decisions when I'm not supposed to have any where I live. The six girls I have now (4 or 5 laying) give us more than enough eggs for DH and myself.

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
We have a menagerie of Orpingtons, Wyandotte & RIR’s.
Some of which are mixed between the 3, as roosters will be roosters. :D:

Thinking about adding a few Jersey Giants this spring, just to see how they do.

The wife would like to see a couple of the goofy looking exotics, just because she thinks they are cute.

Good descriptive A to Z read on chicken breeds below:

https://www.starmilling.com/poultry-chicken-breeds.php

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I'm tempted to get another Cackle Surprise. For about $65 you get 40-50 (usually closer to 70 from past years) of all kinds of chicks. Would love to get more bantams, and definitely some silkies.

I had a few Dominiques before, and they were real nice birds.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get something green in their lot that they won't destroy. It was so nice, green and pretty until winter came. Now it's a barren wasteland.
I assume your ducks can't fly. You can get little fencing like a foot and a half high. You can put that around an area you want to keep green. Or if this is a larger area and you want them to be able to eat the green, try letting all the green grow back, then dividing it into 2 or 3 areas. Let them on one part one day, and another the next, etc.

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
I just bought some Buff Orpingtons yesterday as replacement stock.

Wow! Saying that made me feel like a real rancher. (I bought 4 chicks to replace two hens that I lost over the winter:D:)

Al

Reactions: flat possum

·
angel waiting
4,071 Posts
6 buff orphingtons of all the chickens we have had they lay the biggest eggs and have the sweetest temperaments. I also am hoping we end up with another rooster ours was killed by raccoons 4 months ago. I would get one off of craigslist but I only want chickens we have had raised ourselves. It helps when I have to try and round them up, if I haven't had a hands on approach its too hard to run them down. I train our chicks to come to me.

·
Learning
6,700 Posts
2 black copper marans, 2 Easter eggers, 2 welsummers, 1 rir, 1 white rock, 1 desperate and 6 mixed breed to fill out the order.

I haven't had chickens in 11 years and I let my wife and kids pick the breeds for our layers. These will show up in 10 days or so. Getting them from Meyers.

When it gets warmer I'm getting meat birds and red star layers and probably a few white leghorns from Sunnyside hatchery.

·
Learning
6,700 Posts
Well, Meyer called and the BCM and Welsummer hatches weren't going as well as they planned. So I have 10 mixed breed.

However, I found Estes Hatchery and I am getting 10 barred rocks, 7 BCM, 6 Welsummers and 3 Brown Leghorns. They should all be here this week.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts