Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Had dominickers for awhile. I was happy with them but it was the only breed I've tried. They were given to me by a friend and we only used for egg, not for meat. Laid a pretty egg and were good layers.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
My incubator has two dozen eggs. I keep cochen and arcana roosters. The hens are mixed. I usually purchase a couple of chicks in the spring. Not sure. Most likely chochen or arcana hens. A couple of bantams with feathers on the feet are also tempting. I'll also pick up three ducklings. My flocks are mixed. I like to pick up 3 new birds each year to put a little pure strain in the flock. This year we will be hatching bourbon red turkeys. I'l love to turn some loose to breed with the wild turkeys.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm into colored eggs.

I have 2 White Laced Wyandottes (light brown eggs)
2 Americaunas (green eggs)
1 Ancona (white eggs)
2 Dominique (not laying yet)

Yesterday, I bought 1 Cream Legbar (green or blue eggs)
2 Marans (dark chocolate eggs).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am going to be getting

Silver Laced Wyandottes
Golden Laced Wyandottes
French Black Copper Marans
White Laced Red Cornish (If I can find them local)
Dark Cornish (If I can't find the White Laced Red)

Also I am wanting to get either Rhode Island Reds or Barred Rocks. I'm torn between the two.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
I am going to be getting

Silver Laced Wyandottes
Golden Laced Wyandottes
French Black Copper Marans
White Laced Red Cornish (If I can find them local)
Dark Cornish (If I can't find the White Laced Red)

Also I am wanting to get either Rhode Island Reds or Barred Rocks. I'm torn between the two.
Personally, my Barred Rocks are a lot more friendlier than my Rhode Island Reds. And I like their look, too.

I'm hoping to get a few more silkies, some Old English Game Bantams, and some runner ducks, but we'll see what actually happens. I will also be hatching out a barnyard mix, selling some and keeping some.

·
<--My Faverolle Chicken
878 Posts
I got Welsummer, Easter Egger, Blue Cochin, Speckled Sussex chicks this past Thurs. I had a really bad shipment this time lost 10 chicks out of 28. My brother and I split an order and he lost 5 Sex-links and 2 Golden-laced Wyandottes and I lost 1 EE, 1 Cochin and 1 Speckled Sussex. The hatchery didn't put in a warming pack so I think they got cold. Crazy that they would forget something like that in Feb. no matter where they were being shipped. I have EEs and they are nice chickens. The others I've never had before and am looking forward to seeing their temperament.

·
patriarch
4,809 Posts
What chicken breeds are you buying in the spring of 2015?

My wife and I are getting:

12 Pearl Guineas
5 Dominickers
5 Australorps
5 Golden laced wyandottes
Kev, are you getting them local or from mail order? Ever tried hatching your own? Local poultry raisers have some great breed stock.
Some of the new incubators do an excellent job of hatching eggs. And they are cheap. Probably save the cost of chickens in one hatch. Quail, chickens, ducks, & etc. I have an old incubator, been around for years. But it still works if /when I plan on using it. We have hatched wild turkey, pekin ducks, and an assortment of chickens in it. It is an "Oakes"

·
patriarch
4,809 Posts
Speaking of breeds? Well, I believe for longevity, most cross breeds chickens can and will survive to the greater extent. Growing up, we had anything and everything. The Bantams we had running free range produced continuously, laying eggs behind every hay bale, and strutting their pride with a least a dozen chicks. They just didn't like the nest boxes like the heavy breeds and layers that they shared the house with.
We never had to use the incubator. Setting hens were always busy.

Will the chickens become like dogs, mutts, designer chickens?

The questions I see most often are, can I raise my own Cornish x rock cross broilers? Well, most hatcheries purchase their eggs from the professionals, a egg producer that specializes in the broiler industry. They produce hatching eggs.
I usually buy my broiler chicks at the local farm store, but I tried to research and find better prices on the internet. The farm store $1.99 compared to a high of $3.00, and lows of $1.15 , is a big difference. You wonder how they stay in business. It can be a great savings if you purchase a lot of them. The chick prices ran the whole gambit .

From a well known hatchery,
"We purchase our Broiler hatching eggs from a very reputable company in Hot Springs, Arkansas and they are delivered to us weekly."
http://www.keith-smith.com/broilerhatchingeggs.htm

1 - 20 of 64 Posts