Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a new canteen with a cup, and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions. I'm looking at a 1 Quart canteen, but can't decide what brand, or model to get. Any suggestions????

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have an old french army canteen.
But recently I bought a polycarbonate bottle(1L) and a nylon pouch for it, with an adjustable belt strap.
I am planning on making a special aluminium cup to go around the outside of the bottle, with some folding frame handles for it.
But the French canteen has served me well. It's aluminium too, quite hardy, handled the abuse well, and was about $25 NZ(I'm not sure about the exchange rate as you don't have where you're from on your profile)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I would recommend a 1L Nalgene bottle with a GSI stainless steel bottle cup. The bottle costs like $10, and the stainless steel cup that fits perfectly over the bottom costs about $8. The bottles are fairly rugged and have served me well so far. I personally carry 2 of the 1L Nalgene bottles in my BOB, along with one of the cups.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Stainless-B...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518f98ca0e

Another benefit to the Nalgene is that filters like the MSR Miniworks screw directly to it, making filtration much easier than trying to hold a canteen and filter together while pumping the filter. The water filters do not screw onto any army canteens I know of, and I have been unable to find any adapters to make them fit.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I still like the military canteens with the stackable cup and stove. The canteen covers have the pouch to hold water purification tablets.
My buddy bought the NATO version of this. It came with a 1L canteen, a plastic cup that fit over the top, a metal cup that fit over the bottom, and a "stove" that fits over the bottom of the metal cup.

It cost him nearly $80 after shipping.

It is very cool, but you can't screw a water filter on to it.

The parts do NOT stay together at all, so you have to buy a pouch for it to keep everything together, and that pouch costs another $20-50 depending on which one you get.

So when I was deciding between $20 for a Nalgene, steel cup and Esbit stove vs $100+ for the NATO setup...well, the choice was easy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Trouble following rules
2,201 Posts
Are you talking about the collapsable ones? How do those hold up? I'm considering getting those.
You mean the platypus? I'm going to order a couple 1 liter platypus bottles. I haven't tried them before, but I hear they're very good. I like the idea of being able to fold them up when empty to take up almost no space in my backpack. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
The ones that the U.S. Army issued me have worked just fine. Identical to the one that you posted a link to. They don't have any fancy filters (although the straw attached to my chem mask fits into the cap) so there is nothing to break. Very durable, lightweight, useful.

·
Happy to be here!
4,935 Posts
Are you talking about the collapsable ones? How do those hold up? I'm considering getting those.
I own several Platypus collapsible water bottles. I used to camp with the plastic G.I. canteens. Then I tried a Platypus, and will never go back to the G.I. stuff. The Platypus weighs almost nothing empty, and takes up no space at all. So it's no big deal to pack an extra canteen in case conditions turn out to be drier than expected, or one is damaged for some reason. Even when it's full, it's a bit flexible, so it conforms to your pack better, creating less wasted air space in your bag. Because it collapses, when it's half empty, it takes up half the room of a G.I. canteen of the same capacity, and it doesn't make that annoying sloshing noise. I have camped for years with mine, and abused the hell out of them. I haven’t managed to break one yet. I've even poured boiling water in them, and used them as a neck pillow. They are relatively cheap too. I highly recommend them.

http://www.rei.com/product/797977

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I just read a review somewhere online about that exact one in the link, and someone said it was a piece of crap! I'm not to worried about anything that can purify my water. I live in Michigan with an abundance of water, and the cup would do me just fine for purifcation.

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
I own several Platypus collapsible water bottles. I used to camp with the plastic G.I. canteens. Then I tried a Platypus, and will never go back to the G.I. stuff. The Platypus weighs almost nothing empty, and takes up no space at all. So it's no big deal to pack an extra canteen in case conditions turn out to be drier than expected, or one is damaged for some reason. Even when it's full, it's a bit flexible, so it conforms to your pack better, creating less wasted air space in your bag. Because it collapses, when it's half empty, it takes up half the room of a G.I. canteen of the same capacity, and it doesn't make that annoying sloshing noise. I have camped for years with mine, and abused the hell out of them. I haven’t managed to break one yet. I've even poured boiling water in them, and used them as a neck pillow. They are relatively cheap too. I highly recommend them.

http://www.rei.com/product/797977
I've been using the USGI canteen and combo for six years now and I find that, if you're trying to be prepared for dry conditions (I.E. able to carry more water), the USGI 1 quarts are not great. You can carry almost three times the water in half of the (container) weight with a collapsable bottle/bladder, they are WAY easier to clean, and, like Will said, they can be used as a very comfortable pillow.

That's not to say that the USGI canteen is horrible. Like I said, I've been using one for six years. They are wonderfully durable.

All depends on what you're wanting to use it for!

Go collapsible when you get the "lightweight bug." :thumb:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hard to beat the Nalgene bottle, wide mouth and easy to fill, many if not most water filters screw right to it and there's a nice stainless steel, wire bail cup that fits fits over the bottom it.

Many tactical outfits make a carrier for it as well as many civy out fits, whatever your taste. The insulated carriers are handy for winter camping.

They also make a rectangular two quart that's a favorite of mine.

Take care,
Den

Attachments

·
Cajun
77 Posts
Klean Kanteen is what I go with. Stick it in a fire and you can boil water right in it - can't do that with Nalgene bottles! The stainless steel Klean Kanteen is very easy to clean and won't smell like the last thing that was in it. It virtually cannot be dented (OK, maybe with a hammer, or if you use it like a hammer) and there are a variety of cap options. I have a loop top cap and a second sport cap which I use when boiling water so that the steam can escape easily. A GSI cup or a Snow Peak 700 will slide over the bottom of the 40oz Klean Kanteen bottles easily. This should all slide into whatever you carry your bottle in... like a mini-rollypoly from MaxPed; so I am told although I have never tried. My Klean Kanteen nests inside a coffee tin which slips into my MaxPed Jumbo's water bottle sleave.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
You can carry almost three times the water in half of the (container) weight
How many times have you been so overloaded that mere ounces were the diff between you getting there or not? Until you have, that sentence is meaningless. If you have, it was your experience/knowledge that let you down, not the canteen.

Bladders also freeze quickly in bad weather and they become useless. Bladders also take *ONE* poke on a stray twig and they become worse than useless, too. Useless means they don't work for themselves. Worse than useless is when they also leak all over all your other gear and ruin it.

If ounces meant your life, cheap 2 liter soda pop bottles weigh less, carry more, and are far tougher.

r

1 - 20 of 42 Posts