Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
"eleutheromaniac"
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"A surprise to me (given this is a "prepping for survival forum") is the degree to which my beliefs about prepping are so substantially different then the consensuses".

I posted that statement in a recent thread, and I was then asked to elaborate. I started and became aware I was writing an essay.

There are common beliefs with-in the prepping for survival community. Clearly, they are not all (each one) embraced by everyone. What are some that you simple can't adopt for yourself...???

For example, and clarification, I consider it a broad "common belief". that things will return to normal. There are at least dozens of "common beliefs" in modern/current prepping theory consensus.

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
i think our minds adapt to what is "normal"

if 5 years ago someone would of posted here that you would need to wear a mask to buy or sell food ect they would of been laughed out of the forum,, that churches would be closed and home depo would stay open ? that people would be forced to take a shot to be able to travel? that stores would close certain areas even if you could buy things from other areas of the store?

that in this country[USA] we would see empty shelves and you couldnt find baby formula?

but over the last few years we have seen this happen ,,and now it almost seems normal to see people walking around a store wearing a mask

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Civilizations rise.

Civilizations fall.

I like the Battlestar Galactica saying: "All this has happened before. All this will happen again."

The family/individual preparedness perspective is the TIMING of such. Which COULD BE extensive, as in generational, if amidst the change over periods.

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,834 Posts
Maybe it’s part of the normalcy bias, but I disagree that the red wave coming in the mid-terms will change the course. Even if there was no fraud, I don’t think there will be enough patriots that aren’t corrupted by money, power and security in the nwo to start putting the country first again.

I also not on board with a couple months of food being enough. I believe many that overestimate their food storage and production in comparison to what may be coming. I think 23 will be much much worse than 22. An example of the contrast is the pictures in thread on ‘so called survivalists’ and fruit trees. The pictures from guy on a 1/4 acre lot in a subdivision bragging about his trees while stating he doesn’t like veggies so he has no garden compared to another poster with pics of pigs and chickens (in addition to fruit trees, berries, and a garden in another thread.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think that there will alway be a "new normal." I remember the odd/even days of buying fuel back in the 70's. Getting greenstamps and going in to trade them in was normal back in the day. Normal was a family with both a mom and dad and actually sitting down and eating supper together. Having a gun rack in your truck and having guns in it was normal. Having respect for your elders was normal. Everything in my small town growing up being closed on Sunday because that was the Lords day. Sometimes I think that TEOTWAWKI has already happened for me. :( But that does not stop me from being prepared.

·
Forum Administrator
7,139 Posts
Good topic. And there can be no "set" theory.
Everyone is in a different place in life. Some are young and some very old. Some have money and some are not so fortunate. Not everyone owns land and not everyone has the ability to acquire land.
If everyone moved to the country, it would cease being wild country.

I think prepping and survivalism is a mindset. I know people that own 10000's of acres and are no more self reliant than someone renting a trailer house with a yard.
I believe that everyone can prep no matter what and I believe that their creativity in overcoming obstacles sets them up for future survival.
Everyone can put things up, everyone can foster relationships with Farmers and Ranchers. Everyone can learn skillsets that make them valuable no matter the situation we find ourselves in.

History is rife with examples of people surviving very well in the cities amidst war, famine and other adversity. Is it ideal? No. But we are not talking the ideal, we are talking survival. Surviving is using preps and skills learned when they are needed, no matter the hand one is dealt or is left holding when the balloon drops.
Things learned and put into practice, even on a small scale, increases the odds considerably.

Yes, everyone should strive to become more self reliant. It should be a goal for the majority...Most never get there but, they are survivors nonetheless.

JMO

·
Registered
812 Posts
Armed resistance as it would apply to some notion of “taking the country back” or “getting back to the founder’s principles.” Even if you don’t have an ethical problem with marching on Washington or seizing territory by force, it’s currently an unworkable idea logistically. See the aftermath of Jan. 6, the the Oregon wildlife refuge incident, and the Republic of Texas uprising in the ‘90s for examples why.

It might become a workable idea in the aftermath of a national implosion followed by a balkanization along state or regional lines, but that’s a different story and we ain’t there yet.

I can hear someone getting ready to say something like, “Good thing the founders didn’t feel like you! You moral coward you!” Different circumstances then and the devil will be in the details.

Besides, many people who fought in the American Revolution didn’t fight until the war was at their doorstep. Armed resistance in my community, especially at my doorstep, is a different matter.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I agree, everyone wanting to grab their rifles when they probably never once grabbed the voting lever. Getting into a shooting war is stupid. There I said it too... I don't see that being the event everyone dreams of. Better chance of a Zombie outbreak

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
[QUOTE="wilderness bushman, post: that stores would close certain areas even if you could buy things from other areas of the store
[/QUOTE]
Good post though I don't get this part I saved. Texas used to do that every Sunday though I thought such blue laws had been repealed. Still those laws were once common in the south particularly.

The longer it takes to get back to normal, the more people will die. At my age and condition medical issues will kill me. Besides drugs I need I just had radiation treatment. Available in my rural county but with supply chain going around the world. Training that included docs, techs, even a physicist called in to do some calculations. Once machine was down and they had to call in an outside tech, he fixed it over the weekend. Even in this normal, MRI contrast dye for diagnosis is in short supply. Already the infrastructure is weak. And now the money to fix things is more and more expensive with inflation. A particularly bad time to be hit with a multiple whammy of increasing heat waves, drought, fires, let alone a major earthquake.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The idea that suburbanites will make it out of the city and comfortably live with 8 MREs and a life straw is crazy. These same people refuse to acknowledge what they would be in essence. Homeless vagrants.

The thought that you have 25,000 rounds of ammo and a scant 3 month supply of food is too much. Staying warm? Oh, firestarter (best money can buy) and woobee. Covered.

The idea of spending obscene amounts of money for the most expensive (gotta have the best) knives, guns, foods, and such is simply conspicuous consumerism.

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
[QUOTE="wilderness bushman, post: that stores would close certain areas even if you could buy things from other areas of the store
Good post though I don't get this part I saved. Texas used to do that every Sunday though I thought such blue laws had been repealed. Still those laws were once common in the south particularly.

The longer it takes to get back to normal, the more people will die. At my age and condition medical issues will kill me. Besides drugs I need I just had radiation treatment. Available in my rural county but with supply chain going around the world. Training that included docs, techs, even a physicist called in to do some calculations. Once machine was down and they had to call in an outside tech, he fixed it over the weekend. Even in this normal, MRI contrast dye for diagnosis is in short supply. Already the infrastructure is weak. And now the money to fix things is more and more expensive with inflation. A particularly bad time to be hit with a multiple whammy of increasing heat waves, drought, fires, let alone a major earthquake.
[/QUOTE]

some store that were deemed essential could only sell certain items the "nonessential " items they also sold had to be blocked off to stop people from buying them

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
"A surprise to me (given this is a "prepping for survival forum") is the degree to which my beliefs about prepping are so substantially different then the consensuses".

I posted that statement in a recent thread, and I was then asked to elaborate. I started and became aware I was writing an essay.

There are common beliefs with-in the prepping for survival community. Clearly, they are not all (each one) embraced by everyone. What are some that you simple can't adopt for yourself...???

For example, and clarification, I consider it a broad "common belief". that things will return to normal. There are at least dozens of "common beliefs" in modern/current prepping theory consensus.
Bug out ! We are not going to bug out anywhere! we will live or die right here at home.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
one of the reasons why some of the new "common thinking" isn't acceptable to a veteran prepper is the source of the "new" >>> all kinds of the more liberal are getting involved and more of the 72Hour FEMA crowd are moving themselves to cover more SHTFs ...

this liberal crowd is still the basic kumbaya "We Are The World" they always were - sharing with the unprepared sheeple and not willing to defend themselves is still their credo >> and nothing is changing their minds

·
Survivor
18,803 Posts
Things I don't bother prepping for, nuclear war (why bother), killer asteroids (what are the chances?), even pandemics, we have a few masks but obviously they didn't do much for stopping covid, why would anyone think they could protect against something worse.

As for bugging in, there are some things that you just can't fight and win, like a firestorm.

·
Indefatigable
22,982 Posts
Prepping is NOT a religion OR a political party. But that won't stop some people from claiming they are both. My survival is not dependent on any god's-will and I don't change prepping strategies based on who sits in the oval office.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts