Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SHTF and your non-prepared people come a knocking because they are scared and hungry. fortunately you have saved some grain and seed for that event and a grinder/mill they can share. WHAT WOULD YOUR CHOICES BE AND WHY? my thoughts were corn, beans, rice, wheat, oats any thoughts? :) h2o not so much a problem. the area was farmland before development and people. :) be safe.

PS. and THANK YOU.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
They are scared and hungry and you are giving them seed? Radish grow fast, but i doubt that unprepared scared and hungry people are going to invest the effort needed to grow food for themselves at this point. They are going to want more than your seed offerings.

·
Deo iuvante
4,977 Posts
Flaked oat might be the best choice. They can't plant it, but if they're hungry they are going to want it now. Oat flakes are pretty cheap and most people know how to prepare them. In a pinch, you don't even need to be able to heat your water and just soak them. You can mix in any other fruits or berries or even squash with your oatmeal, so you can add some variety to it easily, assuming those things are available.

If I were going to give out seeds, it would probably be for winter squash. Squash seeds would also add some protein and oil to a diet if they got desperate enough to eat their seeds before planting them. Squash is calorie dense, relatively hands-off for growing, and can be stored if there is abundance.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you.

They are scared and hungry and you are giving them seed? Radish grow fast, but i doubt that unprepared scared and hungry people are going to invest the effort needed to grow food for themselves at this point. They are going to want more than your seed offerings.
all the seed/grain i was considering could be eaten as food too, but hopely they would be grateful for anything. at least this is a chance. :) thank you.

·
Banned
8,064 Posts
you limited list of foods to share is more than good enough. I'd also stock multivitamins for them as well as finding a way to get fat calories in them. perhaps a couple of coconut oil containers from Costco is enough? just make them eat a few spoonfuls a day if nothing else.

good for you for prepping for those you care about who don't prep.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,105 Posts
Grains and beans. Whichever combo you prefer. Provides a complete protein, calories and carbs. But is lacking in many other necessary nutrients and fat. Several hundred pounds per person for a year. Yeah, unless you have a warehouse and a fat bank account, forget long term survival for more than a few. This is why my preps are focused towards the group only. I can't support others.

·
Stinks like...BO
997 Posts
Quinoa is nice because it is by itself a complete protein, but it lacks B12. However, other vitamins and minerals are very well represented. It is also very high in calories, about 350 per serving with decent "good fat" content and fiber. I don't think there is a better grain out there for all around bang for the buck.

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
Salt. Lentils, Blackeyed peas, parboiled rice all three cook pretty quickly. That can be important to people who are very hungry. I would also store corn (cornbread, cornmush, polenta, grits). Oats, sugar, powdered milk, raisins, are also good choices. As the chief cook and bottle washer of a family of meatatarians I will have to put in my plug for small amounts of meat, home-canned is the most economical. I've canned smoked sausage to use with beans, a pint jar will provide enough meat to liven up a meal for several people and does wonders for morale.

Just some ideas.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Barley is a good one. Quinoa is a good one so long as you have the ability/knowledge to remove the toxic outer coating.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,847 Posts
Rice and beans. They form a complete protein.

I wouldn't do much more than that. After all, that's enough to sustain them for at least a while, and while it does have to be cooked, it beats the alternative.

I wouldn't fool with more exotic things.

Depending on the circumstances, I expect I might donate some of my food supply to a church (anonymously, of course) for use in feeding the hungry. Rice would be one such donation, along w/ probably some beans. Not the wheat berries, not the potato flakes, not the lentils, not the split peas...you get the point.

Reactions: n1oc

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,855 Posts
I get barley, oats and corn from local farmers; each one ton at a time.

I use most of it for livestock feed. However any grain can be used to make porridge for people.

Keep in mind that the 'modern diet' that most of us share, has been greatly effected by commercial food industry. Salts / sugars / fats have been used to 'enhance' food flavor to make us addicted to it. We all know that simple porridge has been the diet of our species for thousands of years. In my own case, when I try porridge it tastes horrible.

I fear that in a post-SHTF scenario, when faced with eating porridge many modern people would rather starve; instead of eating this traditional food. Because of the changes that have occurred in our palate.

If you want an inexpensive food item for people, it is hard to beat whole grains. It is cheap. It is nutritious. You can survive for months eating nothing else.

·
Registered
988 Posts
If it's people that you plan to give a bit to and send on their way, then I'd go with rice and lentils and oats. Most people know how to cook them, or if they don't it's easy enough to get instructions.

Most people I would wager wouldn't know how to cook quinoa or chia, and if they aren't prepared woudn't have the means to grind wheat.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,855 Posts
If it's people that you plan to give a bit to and send on their way, then I'd go with rice and lentils and oats. Most people know how to cook them, or if they don't it's easy enough to get instructions.

Most people I would wager wouldn't know how to cook quinoa or chia, and if they aren't prepared woudn't have the means to grind wheat.
Threshing and winnowing grain to be totally 'clean' is hard, by hand. Grinding to fine flour is also a process.

It took humans thousands of years to develop the technology to allow pastry and wonder bread.

We have been eating cereal grains for many generations, before these technologies existed.

Lo-tech grain eating is usually to boil until it becomes a mush.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
thanks everybody !

great stuff. beans and rice are my top runners in my mind. no milling/grinding and can be planted. corn is a close third because it has to be processed a little sometimes. got to do more research on the other stuff. i can't see people starving or going hungry, because it's not mc donalds, but it's good to know. it's hard to imagine people getting mad, if you trying to help them, but it happens. my plan was here you go, "now you go",but now i am going to give it more thought. :) thank you.

PS. i remember handing ammo out to people during the (RK) LA RIOTs and wondering you have guns , but NO ammo?!?

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
SHTF and your non-prepared people come a knocking because they are scared and hungry.

With respect, how did these "scared and hungry " people know to knock on YOUR door? Ah, I see, the key words are "YOUR NON -PREPARED PEOPLE." The systemic problem in your plan is the failure to consider the "floodgate" effect. Nice of you to prepare for YOUR people, but are you ready to prepare for all of THEIR people. You could end up prepping for well over 200 entitlement sheep. If that's your goal, you are a better man than I am. Personally,I'm not going into competition w/FEMA. TP

1 - 20 of 29 Posts