Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Blessed
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not for entertainment but for knowledge in prepping and/or PSHTF, living as much off the grid as you can?

I just finished reading "When All Hell Breaks Loose" and I'm currently reading "The Encyclopedia of Country Living".

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Suzanne

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,105 Posts
The Encyclopedia of Country Living is one of my top choices, along with the Foxfire Series. Get them all. You'll thank yourself for it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm curious a well. I've ordered Dare to Prepare because of the good reviews it got from this site.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,587 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,843 Posts
Non-fiction history books, farmers almanac types of books

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,761 Posts
Per Gunners advice, I ordered, received and have been reading, "Dare to Prepare." A great first book, or addition for that matter...Well written, researched, big, easy to read...

Makes great TP in dire times....:D:

Kidding....

·
Registered
83 Posts
I didn't see it listed, but the Boy Scout handbook (particularly the earlier versions) is a great handbook for general wilderness living/skills. Would be perfect for somone with little to no experience, or a child getting started.

One major aspect of survival is your mental state. Any SHTF senerio will test everyone's faith, so it could not hurt to throw a Bible (or religious text of your preferance) into your library.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,761 Posts
Don't forget the classic FM 21-76 US ARMY Survival Manual, Ranger Hanbook, Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook, and "where there is no doctor/dentist"...

Fictional works: Lights Out, Patriots and One Second After, and Pearl Harbor.com

·
Always Preparing
1,158 Posts
Maybe some books on basic and advanced first aid. I have a field surgical manual for something more advanced jic. Just don't fool yourself into thinking your a world famous surgeon though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I didn't see it listed, but the Boy Scout handbook (particularly the earlier versions) is a great handbook for general wilderness living/skills. Would be perfect for somone with little to no experience, or a child getting started.

One major aspect of survival is your mental state. Any SHTF senerio will test everyone's faith, so it could not hurt to throw a Bible (or religious text of your preferance) into your library.
Along the same lines the Scout Master Handbook is also a great resource.

·
1,313 Posts
Suzanne, This book is a mainstay in my library. Often overlooked topic but it works...I know from personal experience. Madgie

Getting Your Life Back: The Complete Guide to Recovery From Depression
by Jesse Wright and Monica R. Basco (you can find it at Amazon.com in paperback)

·
Registered
3,312 Posts

·
Blessed
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really do appreciate all the suggestions from everyone.

I was a nurse (well technically I still am) but I'm disabled due to my back so I have my fair share of medical books and knowledge. My specialty is in labor and delivery, so if TSHTF, I would be somewhat useful in helping to deliver a baby.

I feel like I can't get enough to read or do for that matter. I HAVE to do something to prep everyday or I feel like it was a wasted day.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming.

Suzanne

·
Learning
6,681 Posts
This question has been asked many, many times over the years...search it out and you will find lots of threads. There is even a book section on the forum!

You will want books on reloading ammunition and repairing firearms; medical/denistry books; animal husbandry books and gardening/farming books; plus some survival type books.

I also recommend that you read the psycology behind survival type books...Surviving the Extremes or Dual Survival is a little bit better.

Also, having some books about cooking and canning and last but not least some tactical type books...about security and defensive/attack tactics.

I could easily spend a $1,000 on books and still have some that I wanted! That is why the library is so great, I order books from them, read them and take them back! The ones that I find especially useful I purchase for my library.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,105 Posts
I really do appreciate all the suggestions from everyone.

I was a nurse (well technically I still am) but I'm disabled due to my back so I have my fair share of medical books and knowledge. My specialty is in labor and delivery, so if TSHTF, I would be somewhat useful in helping to deliver a baby.

I feel like I can't get enough to read or do for that matter. I HAVE to do something to prep everyday or I feel like it was a wasted day.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming.

Suzanne
Sounds like you'll have yourself a very desirable barter skill there. People are going to have babies and someone who can help with delivery will be in high demand.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Encyclopedia of Country Living is a phenomenal guide (which you already stated you're reading).

Otherwise, useful books may include:

- ARRL Handbook for Radio Communications
- Alaska Bootleggers Bible
- Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment (or Where There Is No Doctor depending on your medical familiarity)
- Possum Living
- USDA Home Canning Guide

1 - 20 of 27 Posts