Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to Borders today and wondering what survival related books i could get. If you guys had to pick 3 books what would they be?

·
Forum Administrator
16,845 Posts
I recommend a couple of books on the black death. Part of my prepardness planning comes from history. I want to know the actual - real life events and problems that people faced. By knowing my history, I'am better able to plan for the future.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,126 Posts
Carla Emory's Encyclopedia of Country Living

Almost any of the Foxfire books

A good guide to edible and medicinal local plants.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good Books

Any kind of foxfire book (teaches how we did things before all of the technology), One Second After - AMAZING BOOK, will make you think a lot and rethink how you want to prep. - Patriot-reading now, but is very interesting another thinking book.

·
Banned
1,146 Posts
I would pick up a book on seed sowing and savings. I picked up one of the cheapest i could find, they are all about the same.
Check goodwill for a "medical surgical nursing" manual. They're the size of a phone book and could come in handy.

and for a third i would go with the books listed above. Stay away from "how to survive the end of the world as we know it" by james wesley. That was the latest book i read, all it listed was items to buy. It's basically one large shopping list.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I recommend going to the used bookstore. Our local friends of the library has great deals.

Foxfire books are good. Lots of other books, but just get them cheaper than new if possible.

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
From my library.
Edible Wild Plants Peterson Field Guide
Medicinal Plants and Herbs Peterson Field Guide
The Complete Medicinal Herbal Penelope Ody
JMO

·
just a man
216 Posts
diversity just get what you think would be a good adition to your library you use it once its a good buy you can always trade after

good luck
griz

·
Learning
6,682 Posts
SAS by John Wiseman as recommended earlier or 98.6 degrees

A book on basic animal husbandry or farming/gardening

finally, a classic survival fiction would be excellent, in this order (my preference) Alas, Babylon; Lucifer's Hammer; One Second After; Wolf & Iron; or Patriots (quit a bit of fighting at the end though)

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,850 Posts
All the books listed here definitely. I'd like to throw another onto the pile as well. I just finished it recently. "The Backyard Homestead" by Carleen Madigan. She does a great job of thinking outside the box on how to raise a ton of food, literally, on very small plots of land. 1/10th of an acre up to 1/2 an acre.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
I just bought The Survivors Club

Its about statistics and a study of survivors of different events and the psychological aspects that are similar and types of survivor personalities.

Looking forward to reading it.

I'll post a short review in a few days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts