Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you can, put up a picture of the cover of the book you're reading and a few words about the content.

I've read some really good books because of other people's suggestions.

I just finished this:

I'm sure everyone one knows what Unintended Consequences is about. If not, I'll gladly explain it in a follow up post.

I am currently reading :

The Skystone is the first in a series of six books that chronicles Britain's descent into the Dark Ages and a variation of the story of Camelot, King Arthur, Excalibur and Merlin.

The story begins at the time of the collapse of the Roman Empire, when the Roman Legions and Roman Administration retreats from all the conquered territories and leaves them without law and organization.

It is a story of interest to those who care about survival because there are many parallels to what is about to happen in our lives. It is very interesting to see (albeit through the eyes of fictional characters) how people cope with the rise of lawlessness, disease, famine, foreign invasion etc.

I've already read this series once, a couple years ago and I recommend it highly.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
I'm about 3/4 thru Unintended Consequences... Not the greatest literature, but a great history of guns, gun control in this country and how we got to where we are...

Allan

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Under the Banner of Heaven, by Jon Krakauer. Non-fiction account of how corrupt and sick-minded some of the mormon polygamous communities in the US and Canada are. Good read, though.

Tom.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Death of the West by Pat Buchanan.
It covers how the western world as we know it will come to an end due to social change. Some of the stats in this book are unbelievable, it will change your outlook on several topics.

·
Nope.
2,099 Posts
Both Jerry Pournelle's "War World: The Burning Eye" and "The ABC's of Reloading" edited by Bill Chevalier.

If we had to Bug, I think I'd miss my personal library more than any other material thing.

·
Registered
412 Posts
11th book in The Ashes series by William W. Johnstone.

This series follows the escapades of Ben Raines, the world's last shot at freedom in a war-torn, post-MAD, Cold War terrorist act. He is all knowing, in peak physical shape albeit in his mid 50's, a shot from him has never missed, ex Hell Hound (Elite force that "didn't" work for the US Government and "wasn't" part of the military) which he followed up with settling down to become a writer. He is the ultimate womanizer and the best military tactician on the face of the earth. Johnstone goes as far as to hint at the fact that his army and others left in the states perceive him as superhuman and some go as far as to worship him as the one true god.

Now, when you can sift through all the flashbacks in the first 4-5 books (I swear the text was just copy-pasted to add fluff,) the "I wish I was this cool" picture the writer paints of Raines (Which I'm told he does with all of his other main characters in The Last Gunfighter and Mountain Man series,) and the ungodly predictable fight scenes (any of you who have read the books know what I'm talking about... "He fought the natural rise of the Thompson SMG as he emptied the old drum and slapped another stick mag home." "They tossed firefrags, quite possibly the deadliest grenade ever created, through the open doors and windows." and last but not least, my favorite "The unholy stench of the Night People assailed his nostrils") it's actually a pretty good series. There are some things I don't like about it, including the aforementioned, plus the fact that every woman in the book acts like a horny teenage boy.

Awesome series, you actually learn a little bit more about TEOTWAWKI situations in each book.

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
I'm re-reading W.E.B> Griffin's the Asassin - one of the books in the Badge of Honor Series by him. That and Massad Ayoob's StressFire I and StressFire II

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
Some book about Revelations I borrowed from a Jehovas Witness at work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
"Dont start the revolution without me" , By Jesse Ventura

Interesting perspective on his time in office and on life. It really exposes some of the favoritism that goes on in politics. Paraphrase a section, there was a buget surplus and they were deciding on how to spend it and he was tired for paying so much to register his boats or ATV's so he put the money toward lowing the fees for people instead of pork or whatnot.

Ron Pauls book is next on my reading list.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Woo hoo! What a timely thread...I was just going to start a thread on the books that I ordered and arrived today.

If you can also stand to hear the story that goes behind getting these books.
At one time I had the entire set of the Foxfire books. They were lost at some point after my ex and I broke up (eons ago) and I've finally set out to replacing them. I received books 1,2 and 3, the rest on on their way.

There is another book which I also received today and I'm most excited about called The Encyclopedia of Country Living By Carla Emery. The first time I saw this book was around 1985 in a Health Food store. It was 'home printed'. I read it from cover to cover and found it to be valuable resource even if you weren't living out in the country. A friend of mine asked if she could borrow it and I lent it, believing I would get it back. I didn't. I have had lender's remorse ever since. I thought because it was, as I said 'home printed' I would never find it again. Not one to give up hope I went out online and lo-and behold I found it. The 35th Anniversary Edition.

This book covers everything you need to know from looking for land and living off of it from a to z. All for the price of about $20.00.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I just finished "The Road". It was a depressing book. But I'm glad I made it through the whole book.

I also, finished the Ashes series. The 13th book will be coming out in January. It is a tail of a callapsed US. The best series to get you in a survival mind set.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yukio Mishima on Hagakure. I have read this book a few times and it has some very thought provoking observations on how to live life. A lot fo the Hagakure was written for a different age and doesn't travel well over the centuries but some of it is simple and compelling. I am particularly attracted to the idea that the world starts with your own mind and body and you can't hope to deal with the world unless you get your own house in order first. Know what you believe and why and then it's not too hard to work out what you need to do in most situations and how to live life. 99% of all problems and challenges are mental and if your mind is in the right place you can do almost anyting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts