Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question I've though about lately. It's kinda different from "What will cause TEOTWAWKI" type threads. It's more a question of what signal are you waiting for.

For instance, in hurricane Katrina, I waited to evacuate my family until I heard on the radio that a guy had been shot standing in a FEMA line waiting for a bag of ice. I had stood in that very line a day before it happened. When I heard about it it was time to get out of Dodge. But, in a less specific sense, when do you decide to Bug Out or Fort Up?

Economic Meltdown Situation: Is it rioting? In your town or just in general?

Martial Law Declaration: In your state,city? Nationally?

Military Coup: Do you wait around to see what type of government arises?

Terrorist Attacks: Does it need to be multile attacks? Did you Bug Out on 9/11?

Global Catastrophe is easy enough. If you survive, run.

Same with Nukes, WMDs.

But in situations that are more gradual, what is the signal you are waiting for?

·
ROLL TIDE
224 Posts
The #1 signal I am waiting for is mass panic. If I feel that I or my family are in danger I am getting up to my brothers house in the country. I guess you would be hearing reports of crime and looting to signal this aspect, and possibly see it in your own neighborhood. People are crazy, and when they do not know where they are going to get their next meal... who knows what can happen.

-Terrorist attack would probably not do it for me unless it was a major one..
-Any type of martial law or coup is probably enough to send me on my way packing unless things seem to not be leaning toward civil unrest. It is all about the people for me.. If they show signs of having the crazy eye... Im out!!

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I'm watching for several things as I think things are going to worsen more gradually.

I'm waiting for the banks to declare a holiday of some sort...or something that might look like bank closures on a higher level than what we've seen in the past few months. I'm also watching grocery shelves to see if they are empty and how long they stay that way. I'm also watching to see if any of our basic services are limited ie: garbage, water, electric etc.

We aren't bugging out, but I have plans that will be implemented to secure anything last minute.

·
Registered
202 Posts
As soon as word of the H591 avian flu has learned to pass from human to human.

As soon as i hear that, my plan goes directly into immediate action.
When that news shows up, then I am gone. No bird flu for me please.

or even any other type of plague like weaponized ebola or something.

I fear a plague worse then anything, it's harder to fight something you cant see.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
In have not thought about an actual trigger. Personally, if I was ready, I'd just go now. I guess what triggers it will be hinged on what I can actually do, and when.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Mushroom clouds rising in the distance would be a key indicator for me.

Brigades of foreign troops being welcomed on TV by the mayor of Los Angeles is also on my list.

Most the buildings aflame in the city would tip me off that something is wrong.

Los Angeles street gangs going house to house would set off suspicions.

A state of martial law being declared by Mr. O--ditto.

The banks closing (holidays--coming in Feb.) is also on the list of warning signs.

What did I leave off?

T

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm bugging in, so I'll just sit tight and watch, wait and listen.
no major signage will be necessary for me.
i don't watch the weather.

contact a few friends/family, if possible.
if there is still power I'll plug in my wheel chair for one last good charge. load up a mag or two and rest my authority under a blanket in my lap.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Our general policy is armed at all times while the black bears and cats are out. In another two weeks we will stand down until the spring has sprung, then gear up again. That is loaded double action .357 hidden downstairs in the work area.

For SHTF or TEOTWAWKI, we have all mags loaded, but stored. Not anything I will elaborate on but think slide out armory appearing from nowhere. Full armament is available in 10 seconds, and each individual is served in 15 second spans. This is an activation that takes place under any duress. It is timed, rehearsed and choreographed to produce those exact results. In those cases we will activate when other shots are fired, when there are groups in a threatening posture, or when a perimeter breach is de tected.

The name of the game is stay alive and protect your own. This comes first. Water, shelter, fire and food all have their own specific plans fine tuned for our specific location.

We don't need the police, fema, soldiers or anyone else to take care of our needs. A multi layer fire suppression response is fully funded and in place with equipment in good working order.

I don't want to depend on anyone for anything. If more people did this there would be many people freed up to assist with responses, and aiding others.

Rage said it best: Rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.

·
12,005 Posts
Our general policy is armed at all times while the black bears and cats are out. In another two weeks we will stand down until the spring has sprung, then gear up again. That is loaded double action .357 hidden downstairs in the work area.

For SHTF or TEOTWAWKI, we have all mags loaded, but stored. Not anything I will elaborate on but think slide out armory appearing from nowhere. Full armament is available in 10 seconds, and each individual is served in 15 second spans. This is an activation that takes place under any duress. It is timed, rehearsed and choreographed to produce those exact results. In those cases we will activate when other shots are fired, when there are groups in a threatening posture, or when a perimeter breach is de tected.

The name of the game is stay alive and protect your own. This comes first. Water, shelter, fire and food all have their own specific plans fine tuned for our specific location.

We don't need the police, fema, soldiers or anyone else to take care of our needs. A multi layer fire suppression response is fully funded and in place with equipment in good working order.

I don't want to depend on anyone for anything. If more people did this there would be many people freed up to assist with responses, and aiding others.

Rage said it best: Rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.
Reply]
How on earth did you find a family, or group who would actually train with you to this level?

·
HANDY MAN
1,472 Posts
Reply]
How on earth did you find a family, or group who would actually train with you to this level?
Sounds to me like he was lucky enough to find like minded individuals in close proximity who are will to train, willing to defend his and theirs with equal vigor.

Lucky man

I envy you. Im new to my neighborhood and wonder the appropriate way of broaching this subject with my neighbors without raising flags...

·
mmmmmm...... hands
287 Posts
This is a question I've though about lately. It's kinda different from "What will cause TEOTWAWKI" type threads. It's more a question of what signal are you waiting for.

For instance, in hurricane Katrina, I waited to evacuate my family until I heard on the radio that a guy had been shot standing in a FEMA line waiting for a bag of ice. I had stood in that very line a day before it happened. When I heard about it it was time to get out of Dodge. But, in a less specific sense, when do you decide to Bug Out or Fort Up?

Economic Meltdown Situation: Is it rioting? In your town or just in general?

Martial Law Declaration: In your state,city? Nationally?

Military Coup: Do you wait around to see what type of government arises?

Terrorist Attacks: Does it need to be multile attacks? Did you Bug Out on 9/11?

Global Catastrophe is easy enough. If you survive, run.

Same with Nukes, WMDs.

But in situations that are more gradual, what is the signal you are waiting for?
all of the above :taped:

·
12,005 Posts
Sounds to me like he was lucky enough to find like minded individuals in close proximity who are will to train, willing to defend his and theirs with equal vigor.

Lucky man

I envy you. Im new to my neighborhood and wonder the appropriate way of broaching this subject with my neighbors without raising flags...
Reply]
Lucky is right. In my experience you are lucky enough to find similar minded people. Finding ones who would train much, let alone to that level is just not happening.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My concern is that by the time "the balloon goes up" it may already be to late to bug out. In many of the situations listed by the OP the roads may be choked with panicked refugees or closed all together. If you plan to bug out you need to stay ahead of the curve and be long gone when the balloon does go up.

Ideally, your bug out location could also be your weekend retreat so suddenly going there wouldn't raise any eyebrows and, if it turns out to be a false alarm, you had a nice practice session and no one is the wiser.

·
12,005 Posts
My concern is that by the time "the balloon goes up" it may already be to late to bug out. In many of the situations listed by the OP the roads may be choked with panicked refugees or closed all together. If you plan to bug out you need to stay ahead of the curve and be long gone when the balloon does go up.

Ideally, your bug out location could also be your weekend retreat so suddenly going there wouldn't raise any eyebrows and, if it turns out to be a false alarm, you had a nice practice session and no one is the wiser.
Reply]
That is why I would bug out now if I had the means, and a place to go. I think there is more than enough going on right now to justify it. If I could go now, then I would have more time to get my stuff moved, and I wouldn't have to leave anything behind. If I wait untill the mushroom could goes up, I have to grab my back pack and go, leaving all my memories, book, and favorite things behind.

·
ROLL TIDE
224 Posts
I just do not want to be too over anxious to hit the road. I think that there will be enough warning, for most of us anyway, that we can wait until the time is right.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
What would cause me to leave my home? Any thing that makes my home not a good place to stay. In essence Staying = Death. nuclear war, race riot, Spanish flu, ect.

Rifleman 336

·
Banned
9,294 Posts
Obama in the White House.
What??????? I gotta go!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't know what the "Balloon" will be for me. Bugging out isn't really an option for me with my two kids and my preperations have been to ride out what ever happens if possible from where I am. Things are already getting crazy here for me with personal family reasons... My mom who has recently moved back to our area to survive on disability has had my brother and all his kids have moved in with her and made things very difficult for her to survive on what the state gives her. They have reached a boiling point and for some reason I have been dragged in the middle of everything. My brother got layed off from his job last night and came home to a note my mother had left him asking him to start pulling his wieght and I was the one he called to blame. My brother is a very intimidating guy who is notorious for beating the crud out of anyone. He called me late last night and griped me out and left the phone call with an open threat towards me and mine. I then hopped in my car and drove over to their house and had him meet me at the door ready to beat me to a pulp. Did the only thing that I could think of wish was to grab him by the shoulders and hold him at bay while telling him to remember that we are family and that we can talk through this. I was suprised that it worked but what is really at the root of everything that is effecting him and my mom is the economy. Because of this I have to say my ballon is in flight and it is the economy....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts