In short, depending on what I am doing, my EDC knives are:

Case Trapper
Case Stockman
Swiss Army Camper II

Only one knife is carried at a time.

Hiking - Swiss Army.

Town - Case Stockman

Working around the farm - Case Trapper.

I grew up in the 1980s. During that time Texas had laws against assisted opening knives, such as butterfly and switchblade knives.

In 1987 I went to work for a welding shop in Louisiana.

Due to the Texas laws, crossing state lines and unsure of Louisiana knife laws, I stayed with classic folding pocket knives.

For around 15 years I carried a Swiss Army. In the mid-2000s I started carrying a variety of knives, such as Gerber, Schrade, Uncle Henry.. etc.

I finally settled on the Case pocket knives.

I thought about buying something like a Syderco, and a buddy of mine swore by his. That was until he broke his Syderco. As far as I know he did not buy another one. If the knife is not good enough to buy a second one, why buy one to start with? Especially when it cost $100.

Another reason to carry a classic folder is to avoid tacticool. A classic Case pocket knife is going to draw a lot less attention than an assisted opening tactical looking knife.
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hoffman Richter Reaper,
Smith & Wesson folding
Variety of others in the truck including Tomahawk and kukri...
The Sai, throwing knives, and stars are generally reserved for playtime not EDC

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Everyday around the house or about town, it's an Imperial 3 blade pocket knife with tortoise shell scales that was my grandfathers. Holds an edge better than any other knife I've owned.

General working around the yard at the cabin, it's a S&W Extreme Ops folder. Very light weight and has a good pocket clip. Don't even know it's there.

General woods bumming, it's either a Buck 110 or Gerber Gator in a belt sheath.

I don't know how to post pictures, but other then the Imperial my knives aren't anything special

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,574 Posts
work,

Buck THUG, leatherman Mut,and lately. scorpions tail by tops with the carter prime or soul taker in a side pocket.. play and swampin, depends on the run. usually the goblin, ratmandu and the primal gear bow.

Attachments

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,574 Posts
one of the reasons i like the carter prime from OKC Kev, good work knife. not tacticool in the least, but a question thats still has me scratching my head, is why is it not legal for sale in Texas? Its under 4", warncliff style blade, liner lock. not anything close to a sat night at the fights knife. only thing it is a flipper. they illegal in Texas?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I'll caveat this that my environment is different, so my EDC will reflect that. Ironically, some of my coalition team members freak out a little on automatic knives or any folder that opens quickly such as with a flipper or the Emerson Wave...ironic as they're carrying their HK 9mm and when on mission their HK36 rifle:D:

For this past week, my EDC blades:

I'm really impressed with the Hogue. It's one of my "weak-side" pocket blades. Additionally, the TOPS CUT 4.0 (funky name) is carried scout-style in the small of my back and has been perfect for unobtrusive carry and access.

When outside the wire for work, the following are added (the Shrike is in my assault pack):

Back home, it's different and I'm on the hunt for a nice "gentleman's" folder for drawing less attention when I need to butter a bagel, cut an apple, or trim an Irish Pendant...

ROCK6

·
Registered
92 Posts
I love knives and own tons of pocket knives of all types I rotate my carry knives often. What currently in my pocket is a Kershaw Funxion EMT and I really like it so far, very smooth opening and the belt cutter/multi tool is quite handy.

Attachments

·
Hunting in Oklahoma
1,261 Posts
Kershaw leek clipped on my right pocket every day and a smaller multi-tool on my keychain. Ka-Bar in the truck along with a multi-tool and various folders and fixed blades in different packs and bags.

·
Fenced In
3,506 Posts
I have quite a rotation of folding knives that I carry at work, usually in the 3" to 3.5" blade range, with an even mix of opening methods, locks and materials. A lot of Kershaw, CRKT and SOG blades, plus a ZT and a couple of Benchmades. However, "off the clock" is almost always a Kershaw RJI, which was unfortunately discontinued. It has assisted opening via both flipper and thumb stud, which is my requirement for a knife that could conceivably be used defensively: two methods of ambidextrous opening.

21,493 Posts
I'll caveat this that my environment is different, so my EDC will reflect that. Ironically, some of my coalition team members freak out a little on automatic knives or any folder that opens quickly such as with a flipper or the Emerson Wave...ironic as they're carrying their HK 9mm and when on mission their HK36 rifle:D:

For this past week, my EDC blades:

I'm really impressed with the Hogue. It's one of my "weak-side" pocket blades. Additionally, the TOPS CUT 4.0 (funky name) is carried scout-style in the small of my back and has been perfect for unobtrusive carry and access.

When outside the wire for work, the following are added (the Shrike is in my assault pack):

Back home, it's different and I'm on the hunt for a nice "gentleman's" folder for drawing less attention when I need to butter a bagel, cut an apple, or trim an Irish Pendant...

ROCK6
I still think swis army does the best food prep folders. As you can butter your bagel and just fold it up and clean it later.

When you clean it. Straight back in the pocket. No rust.

I use the sentinel which has a lot less bits and so nothing for grime to attach to.

·
Deplorable
4,438 Posts
I've been through more EDC blades than I can count over the past 30+ years. I preferred an Emerson CQC 7 or one of the original Cold Steel folders for many of those years. I changed things up a year or so back and invested in a Spyderco Delica. Looked and felt like my new EDC until the damn thing slipped out of my pocket on an ice covered highway in Canada. So long to $75, and the weakest pocket clip I ever owned. :( Fool me once, shame on you ... Fool me twice ...

Since I work in a gun free/knife free/everything weapons-oriented free zone, I keep a small Swiss Army knife handy, and a modest Made-in-USA Gerber in my bag. For hiking, etc. I need to find another EDC. Goblin introduced me to Extrema Knives, and there are several of the less expensive models that I am giving serious consideration to.

I'm on the constant hunt for something "non-tactical" as Kev mentioned, but still tough enough to handle various tasks ... and I am very particular about Made in USA. Lots of good suggestions on this forum, from some extremely knowledgable folks: Goblin, Rock, Panoz, etc. :thumb:

·
Biologist
1,404 Posts
My typical day I'll carry my Spyderco Delica, its a perfect knife in my opinion and can easily double as a self defense blade. If I'm going on a road trip I bring my Victorinox Super Tinker as it can handle any unforeseen task and I don't have to worry about any legality issues with such a knife, as long as I don't go to a court house or airport. If I know I'm going somewhere that my knife may be used by someone else or abused in general I'll bring my CRKT M-16. Its a good knife with adequate steel, capable of accomplishing the task, but if it gets broken or lost it was under $20.00.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I still think swis army does the best food prep folders. As you can butter your bagel and just fold it up and clean it later.

When you clean it. Straight back in the pocket. No rust.

I use the sentinel which has a lot less bits and so nothing for grime to attach to.
I agree. My favorite Victorinox SAK is the Rucksack model (I guess, now replaced by Forester). The long, thin blade is a perfect slicer and food prep blade (very good at cleaning small fish/game as well).

ROCK6

·
"Do No Harm" Do Know Harm
190 Posts
My daily carry is the Lone Wolf T2. The Lone Wolf T3 resides in the Timbuktu messenger bag with a Leatherman Surge multi tool.

The SAK's are spread out in the BOB, (Spec Ops "The Pack") along with the OKC USMC Knife.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 139 Posts