1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
36 Posts
Save yourself the research and just go with the Silver Bear .223 from Ammo to Go. Still relatively cheap and this stuff is better than Wolf in my opinion (and cheaper).

You can find a nice range comparison on the Silver Bear, Wolf, Golden Tiger, and Brown Bear on the web. It ranked the Silver Bear #1, Brown Bear #2, Wolf #3, and Golden Tiger #4. They tested for accuracy and malfunctions.

·
just waitin' for it
680 Posts
You can buy Federal Lake City M193 for 396.00 / 1000. And have brass for reloading too. Why waste it on steel cased stuff?

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want brass for reloading.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
I have a Saiga .223. Used LC M855 5.56 in it with zero problems. have more wolf though. i want more ammo but i cant afford it atm

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Chrome lined AR-15 Wolf works good, Chrome moly barrel, it doesn't work so good.

I bought a ton of the lack city ss109 8 years ago when it was $100 a case, but lately I've been buying silver bear and wolf.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I've been buying wolf at local shops 100 rounds for 34 bucks out the door. I can do better if I buy in bulk from the shops and I need to save up to do that. Im not sure if all the shops are in a price war yet as I have not been in to any of them since the election.I have not heard of any problems as of late shooting wolf through an AR.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I roll my own, so sorry I am of little help to you. Reloading is the only way to go and it helps pass those long winter days after hunting season has ended and long before spring warms enough for outdoor projects to come up on the priority things to do list.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
I have a few thousand rounds of Lake City but my main ammo supply is reloads. Lunitic is right about winter being the perfect time to reload. Buy bullets and powder a little at the time all summer, reload all winter.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I looked at prices, and reloading didn't seem cheaper then buying full rounds? The price of a box of bullets is a lot. The price of a bag of brass is a lot. Powder and primers.. Just how much cheaper is building your own rounds?

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It become cheaper when you reuse the brass. You can reload brass 3 times or better depending on the brass. It stretches the mileage of your ammo and cash the longer you reload.

Reactions: Brother Buck

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Cheaper as you go along.
If you don't go nuts the brass can be loaded many times.
Especially the straight walled brass.

·
Shield Up Sword Drawn
2,960 Posts
You should buy a Lee Press, (cheap and Strong) dies, powder, primers and casings for every caliber you own.

You never know what is coming down the road and your reloader may be a big part of what saves you in the end.

The value of ammo increases as times get tougher.

Your gun is a club without ammo. Make the investment if you can afford it. I have done this over he years and every caliber I have I can reload the brass less the 22 LR, L and 22 MAG.

·
Lurker
118 Posts

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
practice ammo, or something to put back for possibile self defense use?
Both. I prefer brass for reloading. Right now I'm leaning toward getting some of the Federal Lake City that was mentioned earlier. (I just need to find a supplier that has some left)

I found a new private gun range where I don't have to worry about ammo checks anymore. I can try out any ammo now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought 1000 pulled FMJ bullets for $90.00 If you can get the used brass its a pretty good deal to reload. You can get 8lbs of powder for $150 and thats enough to load 2500 rounds. The primers are $20 for a 1000. Its half the price of the domestic military surplus ammo.

·
Lurker
118 Posts
Both. I prefer brass for reloading. Right now I'm leaning toward getting some of the Federal Lake City that was mentioned earlier. (I just need to find a supplier that has some left)

I found a new private gun range where I don't have to worry about ammo checks anymore. I can try out any ammo now.
you might find this interesting then...

http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/

most if not all of the Wolf/Silver Bear/ etc is not designed with self defense terminal performance in mind, just paper punching.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts