Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I want to discuss what you’re preparing for?

The living on your preps thread reminded me that it’s common things most commonly! It’s not the end of the world that gets you necessarily, but a natural disaster, an injury, a family emergency or some other time life takes an unexpected turn!

I’ve seen lives turned upside down due to an unexpected auto repair and I know folks that are still paying off tires from 2 changes ago!

A mix of Dave Ramsey and what we commonly discuss here will smooth over life’s common bumps!

Getting ready for the common things makes the step up to uncommon an easier reach! Don’t worry about Zombies or UFO’s if you can’t take a hurricane or a blizzard!

Being able to take the common natural disasters in your area along with 3 or 4 months of unemployment or family emergency or large auto repair will give you peace of mind!

Add depth later as you continue the journey! Worry about the 2 is 1 & 1 is none and such later!

Scared shuts your brain down so embrace the challenges and enjoy the ride!

SD

·
The Power of the Glave
2,505 Posts
"However much the opinion that the world is coming to an end deserves respect, for its usefulness and antiquity, it has not proved agreeable to actual experience" ----Edward Gibbon in The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

As someone who has just passed their 66th birthday, I would just like to say one important lesson that life has taught me.

95% of the disasters and "future catastrophes" predicted by the media, the pundits, the "so-called experts" NEVER HAPPENED.

95% of the disasters and catastrophes that DID happen, were NEVER PREDICTED

Does this mean you shouldn't prep? Absolutely not! But prep for the things that are most likely to happen. The immediate and personal things: health problems, financial setbacks, job loss, unexpected emergency expenses, weather extremes that can happen in your area, earthquakes if you are in an earthquake-prone area.

Zombie apocalypses and meteor impacts? They might make entertaining Hollywood movies. But the likelihood you'll see these by next week? Close to nil.

The Yellowstone SuperVolcano may erupt someday. As measured by geologic time scales. But just remember that in "geologic time scales", "soon" might mean anything from a few thousand to a few tens of thousands of years.

A devastating storm, that cuts off ready access to food and electricity, that can happen anytime. Even that would be temporary. But even so, you wouldn't want to have "zero" preps for such an event.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
many states have a general emergency preparedness page, where they recommend basics for people to start with, and I think also American Red Cross ... most of their recommendations are very basic, but good, but most people don't even know they exist.

winter is what scares me, honestly. any major event, natural or otherwise during the depth of winter - is a problem. services go down, and roads don't get cleared, it is a major disaster. during the pandemic we had hand sanitizers, masks, and toilet paper when there was absolutely none in the stores to be found. I didn't even remember buying any of those things, but they were cheap and I just went down a list and built a small supply area.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The sky is always falling. There is always someone hyping up a coming disaster, usually they also happen to be selling something you "must" have to survive. I prep in the good times for the bad times. The sun will still rise, wind will still blow, asshats in DC will still be blaming the other guy for the ills of the world. There is nothing new under the sun. So do the best you can for yourself and those you love.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Getting ready for the common things makes the step up to uncommon an easier reach! Don’t worry about Zombies or UFO’s if you can’t take a hurricane or a blizzard!
+ + +
That is pretty much my thought.... If you can handle the "usual" for your given area, you can likely better handle the "unusual" for your area..
- - - - -
The sky is always falling...
+ + + +
Yes.. There is always that possibility.. Just a couple of things.... We have seen a blizzard start with overcast and in a half hour be stranding cars and closing mountain passes.. Drizzle turning to heavy rain and flooding streets and road to impassable in an hour.. Either one of these may include the power being out...

So yes... Always a good level of vigilance is needed...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I always found Mazlo's hierarchy of needs to be a good reference.

Air
Water
Food
Clothing
Shelter
Protection
Etc...

So I prioritized my preps in that order. And within my means and circumstances. It's a process. And there may or may not be an endpoint where you say "I'm done". But when I started this path I realized that a zombie apocalypse was a pretty unrealistic situation. So I took steps to move in that direction. Now, even though we are city dwellers, we are better prepared better than 95% of the sheeple out there. And maybe I can help some or I can choose to eat them. But my preparations will allow me to choose my best course of action and not be forced into one not of my choosing.

Preps give you options of action that others may not have. To me that represents a freedom I have been willing to invest in.

·
Purposeful Prepper
1,748 Posts
It has been my opinion for awhile now that cash is a prep. For all the talk about the collapse of the dollar and fiat currencies, etc. the truth is that cash can solve a lot of problems.

Open a savings account and put money in it just the way you would stockpile a prep. Just one thousand dollars sitting in a savings account can bring a lot of peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It has been my opinion for awhile now that cash is a prep. For all the talk about the collapse of the dollar and fiat currencies, etc. the truth is that cash can solve a lot of problems.

Open a savings account and put money in it just the way you would stockpile a prep. Just one thousand dollars sitting in a savings account can bring a lot of peace of mind.
‘Financial preparedness is way too often overlooked in my opinion! Your financial lifeboat should be able to take some waves without swamping!

Working up from $1K towards 3-6 months worth of expenses in the bank and $1-2K in small bills at the house improves your sleep substantially!

SC

·
What would Mal do
4,882 Posts
Preps for Hurricanes - happened 6 times.
Preps for Ice storms (2) that shut down city hard for 5 days, repairs out to 3 weeks
Preps for panic-induced supply shortages
Preps for short term physical illness/surgery (4-6 weeks)
Preps for loss of employment/income
Preps for community violence (avoidance by location prep, establishing local communications)

yeah...the sky is always falling, and I can't do much about it.
The media is always trying to scare folks into watching through the next commercial break

I simply prep for life. which is why I had plenty of toilet paper this last skyfall event (grin)

·
Registered
420 Posts
It has been my opinion for awhile now that cash is a prep.
+ + + +
Of course.... Cash on hand can be a useful tool like any other tool..
However you can't depend on one tool to do all you may need....
Most tasks usually take multiple tools to accomplish...
KnowwhatImean....

·
Registered
17 Posts
As I live in an earthquake zone, that is what I prep for. A strong quake could disrupt normalcy for a week to a month. Prepping for longer than a month is hard here due to lack of fresh water resources.

Mike

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,209 Posts
I've always prepared for "whatever might happen" rather than focusing on scenarious. But the very thing that got me into prepping in the first place was realizing how fragile our lines of supply are. So that has always been a focal point of my prepping. Hence, why I have a bunch of plywood and lumber on hand, even though I don't need to build anything.

·
Registered
12,912 Posts
Indonesia and Japan suffered serous tsunamis, Who would a thunk it?
Watch the videos get a taste of real life/death.
Some events are predictable like hurricanes and flooding and fires, democrats showing their communist side, most things there is a recent history enough to have a basis of preperation. but not a pandemic, or the utter destruction of world econemies. But these things are happening.
Another problem too is when the internet goes down, we won't have sites like this to share information.
How do you make gun powder?
If you have no hard copy and rely on electronics still, you may have a real problem.
I have books and reams of paper copies for all kinds of things I have yet to catalog, but at least they are captured on paper.
I set my self up for alternitive tools and materials as well, so that if necessary I can barter for things I may need in the future.

·
Listen to the ghosts
5,449 Posts
I don't "scenario prep" really, either. Mostly because I have seen how just some basic preps will carry you through almost any scenario.

We get hurricanes here, so that's just a reality I have to prepare for. I have found over the years, though, that it's usually enough for whatever comes our way. When the big freeze hit here in February, we were able to get by rather well on those hurricane preps.

And I figure that those preps will cover at least 90%, if not 100%, of anything that isn't hyperinflation, EMP, grid down, super volcano eruption, asteroid strike, nuclear attack, and bio attack. Most of t hose are highly unlikely, and so are very low priority.

I am positioning now somewhat for hyperinflation because I think that is coming down on us like a freight train. I need to improve a couple of things for bio attack, as was shown by COVID. Again, both of those are more reality than hypothetical "scenarios".

My big vulnerability, again for almost all scenarios, is food. I can't get the spouse on board with the food.

·
Swirl Herder
3,853 Posts
I don't "scenario prep" really, either. Mostly because I have seen how just some basic preps will carry you through almost any scenario.

We get hurricanes here, so that's just a reality I have to prepare for. I have found over the years, though, that it's usually enough for whatever comes our way. When the big freeze hit here in February, we were able to get by rather well on those hurricane preps.

And I figure that those preps will cover at least 90%, if not 100%, of anything that isn't hyperinflation, EMP, grid down, super volcano eruption, asteroid strike, nuclear attack, and bio attack. Most of t hose are highly unlikely, and so are very low priority.

I am positioning now somewhat for hyperinflation because I think that is coming down on us like a freight train. I need to improve a couple of things for bio attack, as was shown by COVID. Again, both of those are more reality than hypothetical "scenarios".

My big vulnerability, again for almost all scenarios, is food. I can't get the spouse on board with the food.

If we are going to talk about scenarios, then how about we talk about the elephant in the room.

Up until January of last year, virtually all of the substantial number of the members here who consider severe crises "highly unlikely" and "hypothetical scenarios" would have included a global pandemic in that list of improbable things they didn't consider worth preparing for..........

Yet, here we are.......

Many members here were not prepared for ammo prices to rise and availability to fall.

Many members here were not prepared for an ice storm to hit the Southern part of the US (and cut the electric power to their homes for a week or two).

Many members here were not prepared for a gasoline shortage caused by a system hack that shutdown the supply for a week or so.

People should be honest (at least with themselves) about their previous mistakes and learn from those.

The reality is this:

Virtually all the severe crises that many here discount and encourage others to ignore, are things that have already happened to millions of humans in the past.

Those people didn't think it was going to happen to them either.

People should learn from the mistakes of others - or even if they don't, surely they can learn from their own mistakes.........

Part of the typical behavior, that is symptomatic of the Normalcy Bias that most people have, is to convince themselves that nothing is going to happen by convincing others of that same idea.

The people who do that in the big wide world have a right to do so - but it really is questionable whether long term members on the largest survivalism forum in the world should be doing that.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
8,500 Posts
My Wake-Up call was Katrina..Lots of gaps in preps and mindset have been filled since then...I just ‘thought’I was a prepper....I spent a year w FEMA in Hancock County Ms(Katrina Ground Zero-I was about a 100 miles North at landfall) after the strike and saw just how bad it can be...We lost power a couple of weeks and had some hardships but nothing like the folks in Pearlington, Waveland and Bay St Louis..The entire county South of I-10 under 10-15 ft of water...my banker spent 18 months in a 1 bedroom FEMA trailer(camper)w hubs and 3 kids...she had PTSD as bad as any other survivor of something people see/do...I have a much better idea of How to prep..Whats scary is The List never ends or is complete...as soon as I put back a 100 sewing needles another ‘need’ surfaces...we do what we can do

1 - 20 of 70 Posts