Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1794 Posts

·
Preparing
10,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring is here! Happy, happy!

So, what are you harvesting now and how are you storing it? Love to hear what everyone's busy with. :)

Here on the Gulf Coast, I've dug my Louisiana multiplier onions (walking onions aren't ready yet). Hung some in an old peanut net bag and froze the rest.

Picked enough rose petals to make a little rose petal jelly that I canned up.

Dehydrated strawberries, enough for 2 pints. Never again-too much slicing! :eek:

Hoping for dewberries in the next couple of weeks. Yum!

What's everyone else doing?

·
Preparing
10,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Lindalou, how many pints of strawberries did you start with to get two pints dehydrated?
Started with 4 lbs. fresh. Very juicy berries. Sliced them thin. Used my little Nesco dehydrator.

This was my first try dehydrating strawberries. Got excited about it after reading about it here.

Think I'll do better with practice. Don't know how long they last because we snacked and crunched our way through all of them! :D:

Do you dehydrate much? I'm still learning and appreciate hearing from the voice of experience!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I dehydrate some things but with the humidity we have things don't last long unless you freeze them after dehydrate them or you have to use an O2 absorber.

I found celery and mushrooms on sale lately and dehydrated them but it takes a lot to fill even a half pint jar. They look real pretty, though!

·
Preparing
10,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sat 4/11/14 still had a spot in the yard that was covered with snow and not from plowing or anything well it should be all melted tomorrow supposed to be 70 oh well 2 weeks till the black flies come out sigh.:rolleyes:
I'll see your biting blackflies and raise you imported fire ants. :upsidedown:

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
Right now we're getting strawberries - based on the vulture that my son is being over the strawberry patch, I'm thinking how to preserve them this year won't be a problem. :D: It's a first season patch I planted last fall so the crop will be small this year, it's only about 60 plants right now.

Spinach is still coming in although it's desperately trying to bolt now with the heat. :xeye:

Onions and garlic look like I can leave them growing for another couple of weeks.

This is a new garden patch this year, we just cleared it in the fall. Between that and I had to bury the winter stuff in hay during the ice storm means if I can find some good recipes for bitterweed, vetch, red clover, timothy grass, and some things I haven't yet identified, the crop will be enormous. I think this is going to be a two hoe summer, one to use and one to be sharpened. :D:

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
Snow and snap peas are starting; a few strawberries from pots but not many; in the past couple of weeks I've been picking, eating, sharing, and freezing kale, kohl rabi, a little broccoli, and multiplying onions, leeks, and a few herbs.

Got a rocky start to this year's garden with the freezes and ice and health problems, but things are improving. I usually plant way more cole crops over the winter and spring.

·
Preparing
10,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got a rocky start to this year's garden with the freezes and ice and health problems, but things are improving. I usually plant way more cole crops over the winter and spring.
This past winter we had an unusual number of chill hours below freezing and far too many in the 20's. quite unusual.

Lost some plants that have never minded previous winters. Will be re-planting.

Hope you are feeling better and ready for the season.

Hooray for Spring! :)

·
Preparing
10,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The cilantro, basil, and flat leaf parsley are growing like weeds. I need to start picking them.

( The sage just laid down and died :( ).

Looking around, I see some like to dehydrate herbs while others advocate chopping into olive oil and freezing in ice cube trays.

What are the pros and cons?

If it makes a difference, I use herbs to flavor meats and sauces.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Been getting lots of salads--many different types of lettuce and spinach. We moved to this property in July, so I just planted a small garden this year as we get settled. Enough to keep us in fresh produce, but not enough to put up. I have been getting just a few strawberries, but many more are ripening now! My mint is in full production, and I have picked some yarrow for a tea to treat my boss's flu.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I'll see your biting blackflies and raise you imported fire ants. :upsidedown:

I will see your fire ants and raise you biting face flies...

No harvesting anything here yet, just planted most of my cool weather crops this weekend, still have some more to plant this week and weekend. Much of the cool weather crops will be ready to harvest by early May and early June....

As for my root crops, I am going to try a new storage method this year, I have been thinking about it for 4 years now and am ready to try it. I am going to put together a small 10x10 building or so and build three bins in it to put the roots into, as I put the roots in I will put in peat moss with them and fill them up with 50% roots 50% peat. My thought is that they are designed to naturally overwinter in the soil, going along with the natural design of the root may make for better easier storage.

This will be our first full gardening run since we sold the last farm and bought this one, I am a bit jazzed.... I might be going a bit over board, but then that is why lil brother nicknamed me "Maximum Overkill" I guess...

·
Stop being on my side!
8,536 Posts
Peas are going wild, and we're harvesting some lettuce.
Green beans are showing some flowers, so they'll be coming along soon.

The winter rye that I planted as a cover crop has surprised me by starting to make some grain, as has some wheat that just volunteered in a bed where I'd been feeding chickens. ;)

·
Preparing
10,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will see your fire ants and raise you biting face flies...

As for my root crops, I am going to try a new storage method this year, I have been thinking about it for 4 years now and am ready to try it. I am going to put together a small 10x10 building or so and build three bins in it to put the roots into, as I put the roots in I will put in peat moss with them and fill them up with 50% roots 50% peat. My thought is that they are designed to naturally overwinter in the soil, going along with the natural design of the root may make for better easier

This will be our first full gardening run since we sold the last farm and bought this one, I am a bit jazzed.... I might be going a bit over board, but then that is why lil brother nicknamed me "Maximum Overkill" I guess...
OMG, I have "garden / storage" envy!

Please post more pics here as you progress and let us know how the grand experiment is working out - warts and all.

Thanks! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 1794 Posts