Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,381 Posts
110 watts of solar panel. A $15- 20 amp solar charge controller (Amazon). 100 amp hour deep cycle marine battery from Walmart. 1500 watt inverter. 12 volt LED lights wired into most of the rooms in the house for emergency lighting. It has worked as emergency power for many years. I also use it to run a car stereo for the garage while I'm working out there and it runs a consumer electronics battery charger all the time as well. It also has USB charging outlets. I'm on my second deep cycle marine battery and my second Amazon el-cheapo solar charge controller.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
10 KW 240/120 volt trailer mounted diesel generator with 50 gallon belly tank and 35 watt solar battery charger, 8 KW 240/120 volt portable gasoline generator, 2 KW 120 volt portable inverter gasoline generator, 300 watts of solar with Renogy 12 volt charge controller, and several 12 volt to 120 volt inverters, 12 volt deep cycle battery plus several 12 volt starting batteries. We live on a larger property and have a 240 volt deep well, 3 refrigerators, and a deep freezer. Plenty of non-bio diesel and non-ethanol gasoline stored. Plus access to an industrial fuel and lubricant distributor. We need 240 volt power so small 120 volt inverters running off 12 volt batteries not a good plan for us.

·
Lux in Tenebris
8,492 Posts
tri fuel genie being fed by ng, back fed ...

also have solar panels, agms, jackerys and other options..

Attachments

·
Registered
Depends
373 Posts
I am currently camped out by the black rock desert. I have 2100 watts of solar 7.5KW lithium battery. As long as its sunny all day I can turn the AC on around Noon then run it till I go to bed. My 17ft trailer is my bug out plan. As for my day hike survival back I have a 25 watt fold up solar panel and 3 of the small USB battery packets to charge a phone or my satellite panic button/communications device. At home I have over 5KW solar panel and over 20KW battery. That keeps my AC going
NDR

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Have you made your own solar battery generator backup or have you bought something in the line of jackery?

I know gasoline only lasts so long for the generators but once that's gone so are the generators.
If the gas is gone, that's the least of our worries...

Pros and cons to buying a solar "generator". (I dislike that marketing term as much as much as "prepping".) Advantages: portable, all in one, no assembly required. Cons: price, single failure and it all breaks, you gain no knowledge. As Cricket mentioned, components are very cheap, and you can put together a system for very little. And it's modular, so adding batteries is easy. Need more panels, just wire them in. Want more amps, just add another charge controller. Need more output, get a bigger inverter. As you go through this evolution, you'll end up with spare parts. My spares from the house go to power my workshop. Once a quarter I add a few more panels or pair of batteries, as the budget permits. But I can do this because I built it, and it's modular.

YT Will Prowse, he's a good resource. A few years back in another house, I wanted to solarize my shed, and this video was a great place to start:

·
Hank Hill in Lingerie
1,392 Posts
If the gas is gone, that's the least of our worries...

Pros and cons to buying a solar "generator". (I dislike that marketing term as much as much as "prepping".) Advantages: portable, all in one, no assembly required. Cons: price, single failure and it all breaks, you gain no knowledge. As Cricket mentioned, components are very cheap, and you can put together a system for very little. And it's modular, so adding batteries is easy. Need more panels, just wire them in. Want more amps, just add another charge controller. Need more output, get a bigger inverter. As you go through this evolution, you'll end up with spare parts. My spares from the house go to power my workshop. Once a quarter I add a few more panels or pair of batteries, as the budget permits. But I can do this because I built it, and it's modular.

YT Will Prowse, he's a good resource. A few years back in another house, I wanted to solarize my shed, and this video was a great place to start:

We purchased packages, our portable solar kits are a 1000w Jackery that came with two 100 watt panels and a Goal Zero 1000w that came with one 100 watt panel. Hubs added a 200 watt panel to the Goal Zero kit to speed up its charging turn around time but that's about all we can change. The Jackery does not have the capacity to add panels

Ready made kit pros:
Plug and play
Easy
Compact
Convenient
Portable
Predictable
Reliable, until it's not

Ready made kit cons:
Expensive
Inflexible
One part breaks often the whole thing is now unusable.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Have you made your own solar battery generator backup or have you bought something in the line of jackery?

I know gasoline only lasts so long for the generators but once that's gone so are the generators.
Yes on both accounts - we have a number of solutions:

My main objective is to power my cpap so I have a simple, cheap and portable Go-Labs (think Jackery but better) solar generator with a Li-Po4 battery so it's good for 2000 recharges and 10 years, it will power the cpap for 4 days and I have a 100watt solar panel as a backup to the backup.

I also have 4 100 watt solar panels, 3k watt inverter, solar chargers and 2 marine/rv style batteries (much like Cricket), this should be installed this month.

2k inverter generator that will run 10 hours on a gallon of gas & 5k watt (?) dual fuel generator for the well and the rest of the home.

Kickback what are you looking to power, what's your objective?

·
Registered
340 Posts
NG house generator. A couple small 300W solar ToGo batteries and a 100W panel. Ok for small stuff like phones and Baofengs, but not much else.

Propane for cooking, with a 2 burner Camp Chef.

That's about it. Would like to add another panel or two. 300W seems like the minimum for any decent charging time.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
124 Posts
Goal Zero 1000 and others for small electrical stuff w/several 12V panels.
Growatt 3K AIO, 5kwh battery, set up to re-use 3-6 330W grid tied panels to power freezer, refrigerator, and microwave.
Dual fuel small generators as backup.
Small solar panel, inverter, and electrical basics in small Faraday buckets.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,936 Posts
I have a Honda 2800w inverter generator that can connect through a manual transfer switch to power my home. I also have 800w of solar panels that charge a few batteries to feed inverters to plug in emergency loads. I am adding a hybrid 3000w solar inverter to the setup in the next few weeks to feed a sub panel in my home that has a few loads like my computer room, bathroom and bedroom. It will have a manual transfer switch to isolate it from the homes main panel.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I commonly use 2-year old gas in my generator. But yes, the gas would go bad or run out at some point.
What would you do with one of the solar generators? Most of them are for charging electronic gadgets. Fine for now with occasional power outages. A larger one might run your fridge for a day.
But what about long term? Then you likely need more than a solar generator. You will want your fridge to run everyday and all day long. You want some lights and maybe additional electric items every day. You will likely need way more battery power storage and you need 1000+ watts of solar to keep those batteries charged.

·
Lux in Tenebris
8,492 Posts
Not enough!!!! I have a Honda 3000 watt job site generator for my freezers or emergency lighting. With this Texas heat, it's going to have to run a lot.

News has been saying "get ready" for outages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you keep a runing update if possible?

Good luck to you..

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Can you keep a runing update if possible?

Good luck to you..
So far we haven't lost power. Wife slumped her shoulders and pooched out a lip when I told her the jen won't run the AC. I haven't even proofed this jen with my camper AC.

Bad planning and financing on me.

We have a 120v window unit we could bring in for the bedroom.

Gonna be tough if this heat doesn't let up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I have 2 generators. 1 can be directly plugged into my house to power the well and furnace.

I also have 1000 watt jackets with 100 watt folding solar panel.

Finally I am working on building an off grid solar system for my garage. I have 700 watts of panels. I hope to have it assembled before winter. I want it to be big enough to power a chest freezer and charge my cordless tools.

I might not have AC but I should have most of the comforts we enjoy right now.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I have 2 generators. 1 can be directly plugged into my house to power the well and furnace.

I also have 1000 watt jackets with 100 watt folding solar panel.

Finally I am working on building an off grid solar system for my garage. I have 700 watts of panels. I hope to have it assembled before winter. I want it to be big enough to power a chest freezer and charge my cordless tools.

I might not have AC but I should have most of the comforts we enjoy right now.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts