Survivalist Forum banner

Have you done anything to help out your country or its current situation?

• yes

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • no

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • what situation?

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • im too busy... someone else will do it for me

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
ROLL TIDE
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see posts by people all of the time saying that people are not doing anything to make a difference in this country or to correct the problems that exist out there. So I am asking what are you doing to make a difference or to correct the current path we are on?

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
im trying not waist anything.not going in the truck saving gas.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Well, I'm a think global, act local kind of guy, but working in the local community might "trickle up" to the country as a whole, right?

I am a volunteer member of the board of directors of a local agency that provides day care to young children whose families' otherwise can't afford it. As part of my "real" job, I work with state agencies to help them do a better job in their work/programs that help young people who have substance abuse and mental health problems. I also volunteer a day a month with a program that promotes kids' physical activity (we take them skiing and snowboarding--it's a win-win situation for the kids and the chaperones).

Politically, I am an advocate in my town and state for various causes that I care about, like improving our state's voting system and fighting recently proposed cuts in mental health services for the poor.

That's it. Generosity with your time is it's own reward!

Tom.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
so far hippiesurvivalist is the only one who didn't answer "not a damn thing"

·
ROLL TIDE
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm a think global, act local kind of guy, but working in the local community might "trickle up" to the country as a whole, right?
Ahhh the old trickle up economics... I remember learning about that in business school :D:....

I try to do my best to buy local... especially when it comes to food....

As far as political issues go.... emailing senators when I am bored at work has become my favorite past time...

·
Beware of the dog!
1,941 Posts
For several years I have been trying to "Buy American" whenever possible. On many small items I will gladly pay double if necessary to avoid buying any imported item. Usually I am pleasantly surprised to find items "Made In The U.S.A." at a very reasonable price, or occasionally cheaper than the imports. A few years ago I bought an American made Rage'n toyhauler trailer and when I went to WalMart to stock it with supplies and utensils most everything I needed, reusable plastic cups, reusable plastic plates, pots, pans, storage containers, towels, sheets, butane lighters, etc. were all made in the USA.

Most recently, I sent a polite letter to scarry Harry Reid suggesting the I.R.S. add a line at the bottom of the tax return form for people to write in an additional, self imposed tax/gift to the governemnt. The purpose would be for those Americans who beleive we need to pay more taxes to allow the Government to 'redistribute the wealth' they can add to what they already pay and help the less fortunate acheive the American Dream. I also suggested the I.R.S. could create a webpage to post the name and cities of those who voluntarily contribute more money to the Government, that way they can feel even better about themselves.

:thumb:

Reactions: blue123

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
I protested for years, was involved in local politics, wrote a few articles that assured I was searched repeatedly for any flight. In 2006, I walked out and decided to do something to insulate my family and friends from what I felt was coming. Now I am working harder than ever in my life trying to build a homestead that provides for us. When things calm down personally, I'll get involved again, but I'm done trying to save the world: think local, act local!

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I've ended all party affiliation.

I make it a point to read left, right and overseas news sources in order to give me a broader base of information from which to form my own opinions. I make an effort to consider all opinions and ideas based on the merits of the idea not the person voicing them.

I actually attend local government meetings. I have on occasion spoken at these meetings.

I network with local business owners, making them aware of issues that effect us.

I belong to a group called Blueprint Louisiana. Our agenda can be found here:
Blueprint Louisiana
It is bipartisan. It is all about citizens getting involved to make the changes we need to improve our state and our government.

I support local businesses and communities whenever I am able and purchase American products over foreign when I can.

I have a business which is directly contributing to the rebuilding of storm effected areas of Louisiana and Mississippi. Another business is healthcare related. It's not a huge business, has it's ups and downs and every day is rocky (especially lately) but I manage to make a living while at the same time helping to address problems that mean a lot to me. And I keep a few people working.

I strongly believe citizens involving themselves on local basis can have national implications.

And I moderate survialistboards with: Threads: 35,166, Posts: 408,597, Members: 10,370, Active Members: 3,285. Because I think the value of this board is immeasurable to those who take it's information and use it to safeguard their families in uncertain times.

·
Just use a 2x4
822 Posts
I also attend and speak at local government meetings. I have been to Sacramento so many times lately that the senate and assembly think I am a lobbyist - and, sort of, I am.

I am very heavily involved in fighting Animal Rights Activists, H$U$ and PeTA in their attack on our food supplies and our personal property rights.

I lecture, I write, I teach....

·
ROLL TIDE
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think that the problem more often than not is not the unwillingness of people to get involved and do something to affect positive change, it is the lack of education on what they can actually do to help.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I think that the problem more often than not is not the unwillingness of people to get involved and do something to affect positive change, it is the lack of education on what they can actually do to help.
I think it's that government is now viewed as something done to us instead of something done by us.
People just don't feel they can make a difference.

·
ROLL TIDE
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it's that government is now viewed as something done to us instead of something done by us.
People just don't feel they can make a difference.
Additionally... when they do try they do not see the effects of what they do so they lose interest... I am guilty of this one myself..

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
My apologies to the OP for posting off topic.

Back on track.

I think the reason so many people prep now is that same feeling of helplessness that keeps them from getting involved. People feel we are so far off track that the S is bound to HTF so better to put your energy into preps than waste time trying to get involved.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I do make it a point to see what bills the senate and house are voting on and make sure my senators and representatives know how I feel (write, call, fax, email). I keep up on local politics and make sure to vote out the scum on the local levels.

We buy at our local lumber yards, rather than the new home depot (even though we would save a few extra dollars.) We buy sad looking properties and make them nice, respectable and habitable (improve the neighborhood).

We purchase furniture and home decor from local antique/2nd hand stores. They're always better quality and I know it's not made in China. It's also recycling.........

We buy our beef locally and have it butchered locally. We shop at the farmers market when in season.

We are teaching our children nothing in life is free. If you want something, you need to work for it. When it came time to put a roof on our house this summer, yep, they were right up there with us.

I would like more time to volunteer with the senior center on a regular schedule. But I do volunteer on local beach clean-ups and park clean-ups.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
(1)Many of my posts stress the importance of buying American products.
(2)I only buy American made firearms, knives,automobiles and any other available U.S. products.
(3)I donate clothes and coats to AMVETS.
(4) I exercise my right to vote
(5) I bear arms and know how to use them.
(6) I am fiscally responsible.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I am on my local city council, I also compose and distribute information about local as well as state candidates, I teach several local preparedness classes. I have done fund raisers for local and national political candidates. I have helped raise funds for a community course on the constitution that was taught this fall at are local city hall.
And I always give my opinion on the direction that America is headed when there is a group around.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts