Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the national news on Friday and they had a story about a Kentucky family trapped by the ice storm that was cutting up and burning their fence to keep themselves warm.
I live in Texas and freezing cold here never last more than 3 or 4 days. I have been getting free firewood off of craigslist.org to build a wood pile.
I also have a year of cooking fuel using charcol brickets (260 lb) using a cardboard box oven.

I bought the brickets off of the Ace Hardware site and had it shipped for free to my local Ace store. You can get 2 - 21.6lb bags for $17. Here. For just around a $100 you can get a years supply of cooking fuel using this method.

If you do have brickets be sure to seal them in something to keep the moisture out. Moisture will ruin the brickets and make them very difficult to cook with. I sealed my in 42 gallon 3mil trash bags with the top twisted tight and taped, I picked up at Lowes.

Note:Brickets put off huge amounts of CO and should not be used indoors.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Wood stove for cooking and heat in the winter.

Right now the house is 71 degrees and there is a pork roast on the stove for lunch.

I'm starting to like being unemployed.:thumb: Maybe this is the good life.

Reactions: joes

·
Registered
28 Posts
Like you,larf, I'm in Texas and this week kinda sucked early on with the ice but usually we get very few of these days...

I have a Dearborn type high effeiciency heater as a backup (total electric here with no gas lines in the neighborhood) and have prob 15 full 20lb tanks and a full 100# tank.. I also bought a carbon monoxide detector..
***VERY IMPORTANT*** unless you like waking up dead...

I'm also ordering a conversion kit to convert my genny to run on gas and propane since propane lasts forever and is a whole lot less dangerous to store.

For cooking I have a Coleman propane stove, a Coleman single burner stove you mount to a 1# bottle, a coleman camp oven, fish cooker/deep fryer and the reg old bbq grill..

·
Registered
816 Posts
I was watching the national news on Friday and they had a story about a Kentucky family trapped by the ice storm that was cutting up and burning their fence to keep themselves warm.
I live in Texas and freezing cold here never last more than 3 or 4 days. I have been getting free firewood off of craigslist.org to build a wood pile.
I also have a year of cooking fuel using charcol brickets (260 lb) using a cardboard box oven.

I bought the brickets off of the Ace Hardware site and had it shipped for free to my local Ace store. You can get 2 - 21.6lb bags for $17. Here. For just around a $100 you can get a years supply of cooking fuel using this method.

If you do have brickets be sure to seal them in something to keep the moisture out. Moisture will ruin the brickets and make them very difficult to cook with. I sealed my in 42 gallon 3mil trash bags with the top twisted tight and taped, I picked up at Lowes.

Note:Brickets put off huge amounts of CO and should not be used indoors.

how did you arrive at the figure of 260 pounds being a years supply? Is that cooking three times a day? From my experience it takes much more than that. Maybe I am not using it efficiently.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yup, in TX, heating is a toughy to consider 'stocking up' for.
PLAN to get a genny very soon, tho.
Cooking ? We've pick up alot of sterno when on sale (+ a little folding stove); have been making our DIY 'buddy burners', and also snatch up gunky old LP tanks for our grill, via Freecycle (simply swap them out for newer, filled ones.. up to 3, 20lbers now).
As for heat ... we have ALOT of blankets, clothing, etc, but... buddy burners if necessary, and, since DH wondered what to do with our older tax papers, yesterday.. HAHA... I'm thinking I'll roll up all of those papers (rolled, soaked, then dried) and have them around for 'paper logs', later.
No good sales on those 'handy log' thangs, this year... GRR.
Hubby HATES having stacks of firewood around, since we have so many critters that like that for inhabitation, and our yard is so small,
the pile would have to be close to the house. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
At our house our primary heat is 2 Toyo Stove. One in the basement and one on the main floor, we also have a on demand oil fired water heater.
Our cook stove is propane with 2 -100 lb. tanks which will last 2 years.
Our BBQ on the front porch is also propane fired.
The Toyo's require electricity ,so we have 2 generators for that.
Also have a wood stove for heat and cooking.
Think we're covered..

·
Registered
28 Posts
btw now is a great time to add to yer propane stockpile... Price has gone way down like gasoline... I find a lot for sale on Craigslist..Got 4 full and 3 empty tanks for $100 last month.. Guy lost his deer lease and didnt need em anymore...Paid like $11 to fill the empties..Better than $18-20 for the exchange places..

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Living in Colorado, I have always thought it prudent to have redundant heating sources. I have the natural gas furnace, a wood pellet stove, kerosene heaters, propane heaters, and a wood burning fireplace.

For cooking, I have the electric range, 2 butane stoves, 3 propane stoves, a propane grill with six 20lb tanks, and a briquet smoker.

I'm also a believer in having at least one vehicle with 4x4 ability in this State.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
wood burning stove , sitting in front of it now and its snowing outside ,what a great warm feeling .

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
Natural gas normally, otherwise two propane camp stoves. Otherwise an iron fire ring on the patio and lots of wooded area nearby to forage if it came down to that.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Heat: 2 wood burning stoves, buddy heater w/ 20 lb. Tank adapter, kerosine heater.
Cooking: the wood stoves, Coleman camp stove also uses the adapter, sterno, propane grill. Just don't have many 20 lb tanks but trying.

2,297 Posts
I bought my last tank of heating oil in Sept. 2005
I have used almost none of it. We have burned about 99.5% wood since the Fall of 2005 in this house. We heated entirely with wood in the previous house for 4 years.
We have the ability to cook on the stove. We have a Propane kitchen stove....gas logs in the fireplace....(they suck and we don't use them but they are there)
I have 2 dual burner coleman stoves that burn unleaded gas and 2 single burner backpack stoves that burn unleaded gas. I have one propane single bruner stove. I have a solar oven (fun toy). I have some charcoal and a grill....and a gas grill too.I have a kerosene heater. Cooking and heating will be the least of my concerns.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how did you arrive at the figure of 260 pounds being a years supply? Is that cooking three times a day? From my experience it takes much more than that. Maybe I am not using it efficiently.
Cooking with a cardboard box oven you get 50 degrees out of one bricket. Standard meal cooking at 350 would require 7 brickets. My testing shows that brickets weigh 1 oz. each. 260 pounds gets me about 590 cooked meals or about 1.6 cooked meals a day over 1 year. (260lb X 16 oz / 7 oz = 594)

I would need to suplement with solar oven cooking "when possable" to get closer to 3 meals a day. Not an issue in Austin, TX.

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
I use a wood stove to heat and if necessary to cook meals. I came into a huge ammount of flat wood mostly in the form of pallets and cut them up. They were free for the hauling.
I have a maple tree that needs to go, so I'll drop it and get a couple of cords out of it. Though will have to let it season for a year or so.

Reactions: joes
1 - 19 of 19 Posts