Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be honest here. My wife and I are old enough to realize we aren't going to be able to survive TEOEWAWKI indefinitely. A few weeks or even months, sure. We have as many supplies as we can reasonably store and have a bug out cabin out in the sticks, but our age and health make long-term survival in a post apocalyptic world unrealistic. That said, in a relitively short (6 months or so) SHTF situation where something resembling normality returns, we will be able to comfortably pass the time in much better shape then our less well prepared neighbors (who, by the way, steadfastly cling to the "it won't happen to us" mentality, making banding together with them all but impossible).

So, how many folks who consider themselves prepared do you think are really ready for the end of the world, how many are kidding themselves, and how many, like us, have made realistic choices?

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
gods i hope all the adults of our 20+ group arn't kidding ourselves :D:
but i do think our group will be very able to hack it percentage wise for the posters on this forum i would guestemate that 50% are kidding themselves ,having made realistic choices? i'd say another 50%
and the well prepared i'll say around 35%. no real data just looking at posts by people that gives me this belief

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
...So, how many folks who consider themselves prepared do you think are really ready for the end of the world, how many are kidding themselves, and how many, like us, have made realistic choices?
There are a few here that may well be prepared to re-start civilization after a nuclear winter/ post apocalyptic event, very few. There are a lot more wanna-be's, who talk a good game, but aren't really ready, psychologically, skills-wise or supplies-wise. Can't speak to what is "most", but I'm like you in that my age and health will unlikely see me thru more than a couple years of real hard times.

My "scenario" is more of a SHTF than a TEOTWAWKI event (hurricane, wildfire, drought etc). I joined here to learn to deal with a post-Katrina event, not a Yellowstone Super-volcanic eruption... I think I can deal with civil unrest for a couple years, but would likely fail quickly once my access to cartiac meds dried up...

Allan

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well, I'm new to survivalism. I have focused all my efforts into learning the skills and preparing for leaving where I am now. I have no dreams about remaining in my home when SHTF. I know I'm going to have to BO. Also, I'm not nearly delusional enough to pretend that I could make it on my own. Again, I'm new. So my skill sets only include first aid, good physical endurance, a German Shepherd, a growing collection of fundamental survival gear (including firearms), and my great (or at least I think so) ability to adapt to differing situations. I'm growing a garden in my backyard now, not because I want to have a ready food supply when SHTF, but because I want to know HOW to grow one when I find a place suitable.

I think I have a good chance of surviving, and that chance grows with every day that I learn more.

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
my goal is long term survival in any situation......will it be so once the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI occurs....so many variables that no one can calculate them all....

we have food
a good Bug in location as well as a good BOL
a good BOV
and some half decent supplies

will I reach my master goal...maybe not overall, but reaching smaller goals is occuring daily

Bottom line SHTF or EOTWAWKI I wanna survive as long as I can, thats it, thats all

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Considering the myriad problems that would pop up during a SHTF scenario, I think that those who aren't living the SHTF lifestyle will most likely be running into major problems very quickly, myself included.

There is always something that we forget and if we aren't exposing ourselves to the uncertainties of those problems daily or at least monthly there is a good chance one of those unexpected problems will be major.

I certainly wouldnt last forever and I accept that. As long as I am able, I will strive to improve my situation but with the knowledge that there is never an end to preparing.

·
High on a mountain top
435 Posts
Getting closer to my goal of being prepared for 6mo. to 12mo SHTF event which would limit access to food, water, medicine and fuel.

One of the main reasons I'm preparing is not any particular event, but my worry over how incredibly fragile our delivery systems are becoming, thanks in part to a newer business process called "Just in time". JIT works by keeping stores pretty much empty, and new stock arrives only just in time to lower storage costs - great for money savings in business, horribly bad for society if something interrupts the supply line...

Can't help but worry about the current financial crisis, and always need to be prepared for the big earthquake that will come to the west coast someday.

·
Registered
215 Posts
A major economic downturn is likely to last 5-10 years, with chronic shortages and unemployment like the Depression, cooupled with intermittant breakdowns of social order in some locations.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I figure on a very bad recession depression type environment, little or no jobs, high cost of food and services as well as limited services. Making do with alot less and then eventually turn into a third world type style of living.
Important to stay out of debt and have cheap or paid for overhead, no big fancy cars or trucks with a big payment. Conserving of energy living a frugal type existence. Getting back to basics and some self sufficiency.

People learning to work with their neighbors, community involvement.
I don't think we will have a total erasure of North America, but it will fall apart enough that preparation is needed.

We live in different parts of the country, someone in Florida has concerns about hurricanes but does not have to worry about heat, I am in Ontario Canada and dont have to worry about hurricanes but heat is a big deal.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I know that I'm not prepared for anything yet. I started thinking survival about two months ago. So I'm not in the best shape to survive YET. I am trying to change my whole way of doing things. But mostly changing my way of thinking. I'm getting in shape, physically. Trying to store food that is easy to cook over a fire. My hubby is building our BOV as I type. We eat home cooked from scratch meals. The only stuff in my freezers are meats and flour. Everything else is canned. I'm mostly trying to gather as much information as my brain with retain every day. If it came down to it... I honestly don't know if we would make it. At least not as of today. If TSHTF today? I'm screwed. Next month? It'll be better. Next year? I'm gold. Whenever it happens I will survive! There is no other choice. Survive or die. There is no gray area.

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
I am young to some degree so unfortunately i don't have the funds to purchase a lot. I have a few firearms and a "safety" group. I could call it a bug out group but i doubt we go anywhere. for x-mas im asking for gift cards to hardware stores and wally world to do some supply shopping.

honestly at this point most of my money goes to school and well "social activities".

T

·
Registered
60 Posts
prepaired.... is there such a thing?

All scouts learn to "always be prepared" and unfortunately I wan never a scout so I'm completely at a loss... To be honest, I haven't a clue as to which of the 5 or 6 eotw scenarios that make it difficult to sleep at night. I've never been one of the ostrich people who don't think it will happen to them, but with young kids its hard to know what and how much to prepare. We don't have much set aside, as we do not assume we will be able to stay in our home for long, and since we are barely staying afloat before the added expenditures of preparation. So we are working on edibles and supplies that travel well and hope (man that word seems dirty these days) we have enough to get somewhere, and start something up. While we build our mini stocks we are also picking up skills that may be marketable for along the way to wherever we land.
As for the number / percentage of the prepared...Around these parts, if anyone is preparing they are doing it in stealth mode, and I don't blame them, my greatest fear isn't for the other shoe to drop, its for the mass of panic stricken morons going door to door looking to raid those who thought ahead. Its sad, but true... the state of our society is as such that most are spoiled, immediate gratification, constant gratification, junkies, I don't look forward to watching the withdrawals, soon to come.

·
Registered
626 Posts
My wife and I area prepared for a short term (3-6 month shtf) scenerio.. as for anything worse? Probably not, and I doubt that even 20% of the people on this board are prepared for that.

I take rest in this however, the fact that we have food, some medical supplies, firearms, and most importantly a mindset of survival and prepardness, I feel like that we are 100 times more prepared than most people.

Your preps will only take you so far, your mindset will be your best tool in ANY scenerio.

·
Throbbing Member
130 Posts
What am I preparing for? I'm glad you asked...

First: Supper
Second: Anything

I figure life is a survival situation. The SHTF the second you were born, it could be the end of the world as YOU know it literally at any moment. You've got to be mentally prepared for anything, at anytime. Sleep with one eye open, and a pistol under your pillow.

The SHTF is happening all over the world, all the time- it just might not be at your house yet....but believe me, there might be a drunk driver, a meth head, or gang banger coming around the corner heading towards you right now. Being prepared is being aware. We are animals after all...it all boils down to "fight or flight" each option has its time and place- those that survive picked the right option. But, eventually we all end up on the other side...its just all about how long you got to play the game

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
We are preparing to accept some gubment cheese and what ever else it is the gubment thinks we should have to survive, I am sure if they want it for us, then it must be good for us.....and we will be grateful to the fine gubment types for looking after our welfare so nicely.

being as they are doing such a fine job with these couple of little skirmishes going on, and the economy, and the housing, and the national unemployment, and of course the bang up job they are doing with the banks and wallstreet, :taped:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi new to this survival prep, been trying to get it together for a couple of months now. I have been tryingto get the wife looking into this survival mindset for lot longer than i have been preparing we just adopted some kids so i fill the need to learn and teach them any thing i can pick up in knowledge. I'am older and donot belive that a total end as we know it sittuation just how long we can last ,but god willing at least the kids can have a chance to make it .wish i had been a boy scout , iwould have been a little better prepared.

·
My powder's dry,is yours?
556 Posts
We are preparing to accept some gubment cheese and what ever else it is the gubment thinks we should have to survive, I am sure if they want it for us, then it must be good for us.....and we will be grateful to the fine gubment types for looking after our welfare so nicely.

being as they are doing such a fine job with these couple of little skirmishes going on, and the economy, and the housing, and the national unemployment, and of course the bang up job they are doing with the banks and wallstreet, :taped:
Will you fix me a grilled cheese sandwich and pour some gubment milk please?Cold milk.I like cold milk,2% cold milk.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I figure on a very bad recession depression type environment, little or no jobs, high cost of food and services as well as limited services. Making do with alot less and then eventually turn into a third world type style of living.
Important to stay out of debt and have cheap or paid for overhead, no big fancy cars or trucks with a big payment. Conserving of energy living a frugal type existence. Getting back to basics and some self sufficiency.

People learning to work with their neighbors, community involvement.
I don't think we will have a total erasure of North America, but it will fall apart enough that preparation is needed.

We live in different parts of the country, someone in Florida has concerns about hurricanes but does not have to worry about heat, I am in Ontario Canada and dont have to worry about hurricanes but heat is a big deal.
This is pretty much what I'm figuring after Teh One (TM) takes over, with a bit of societal breakdown thrown in for flavoring....

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
I prepare for things in this order:

- natural situation, winter storm, hurrican whatever it may be
- economic collapse - my prepping will just give me a head start at getting ahead in the world and figuring out my next move
- chemical and/or terror attack - survivable if you are prepared
- the planet envirnomentally not being able to take any more - if you can feed yourself for a few years to give old Mother Earth a rest...things would be okay after that

In the case of global nuclear destruction - not sure how well we would do. We would survive the initial attack and for several weeks after but with small children I think they would succum to radiation, and frankly everything I do I do for them, so with them gone I don't think I would have that fight left. In that situation I hope they drop the bomb over my head and get it over with quickly. You will not be able to grow viable crops for years and the amount of food anyone has would most likely be delaying a g'teed outcome.

·
Banned
317 Posts
My wife and I area prepared for a short term (3-6 month shtf) scenerio.. as for anything worse? Probably not, and I doubt that even 20% of the people on this board are prepared for that.

I take rest in this however, the fact that we have food, some medical supplies, firearms, and most importantly a mindset of survival and prepardness, I feel like that we are 100 times more prepared than most people.

Your preps will only take you so far, your mindset will be your best tool in ANY scenerio.
I am proud of you Grub, your mind is the best weapon that you could have for what is to come........I have been getting ready for the past eight years with everything that I will need for the next 25 years but for food, only for seven years.

At sixty eight I am not afraid of what is to come or even the outcome, what is more important to me is how I will play the game.........is not how you die but how you live :thumb:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts