Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just for the fun of it...

So the holiday season of 2014 is upon us.. weather has chilled down over most of the USA and it's dark most of the day. Let's say that you're driving home tonight, almost there, and SHTF. The grid goes down from an EMP. What are the first 3 things you'd think or wish you'd have gotten around to (that you could have actually done)?

(for example - I can't afford my perfect bugout plans yet so that doesn't count - haha)

My first 3 thoughts would likely be... in order of how I'd probably think them.

1) Oh ****... I should have stocked more water.
2) Wish my chickens were already laying...
3) And... why didn't I get those 2 little cavities taken care of already?!

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
1) Should have bought more Alphafa.
2) I'd be thinking about the short walk home with my pack and wether it's going to rain.
3) Thinking about driving my older (EMP proof) truck back to the dead truck and siphoning the gas tonight or waiting until morning.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
First three things I'd think?

1) "Oh <bleep>"
2) "OH <BLEEP>"
3) "OH <BLEEPITY-BLEEP-BLEEP-BLEEP>!!!!!!!!!!!"

(Admit it, everyone would think the same. :D:)

After that, my thought processes would be "I've got to get home. I've got to get more information on what's happening. I've got to fill up all the emergency water jugs. And I've probably got to go to the bathroom. Especially after the shock..."

·
Ultranationalist
12,878 Posts
1. I wish I'd worn a jacket. Even in the cold, I only wear a jacket if I'm going to be out and about for a while.

2. I wish I had a bag in my Jeep to carry my stuff. I have a pistol, flashlight, halogen spotlight, vehicle paperwork and a CPR kit to carry back home in the cold.

3. I wish I'd bought those Big Berkey water filters already. I have little water stored, and not much food stored either.

My fixes:

1. Need to start wearing a jacket when it's cold outside. Or keep my jacket in the Jeep.

2. I'm going to start carrying my BOB in my Jeep from now on. I'm out of the Army now and so there is no danger of it being confiscated at the base gates because it has a gun and knife in it.

3. Going to buy at least one Berkey filter when my next paycheck comes in. In my area, I won't have too much difficulty finding water sources. But they'll need filtration. Then I'll go looking for some Mountain House stored food. Wife and I plan to get some property and grow our own food, but I do want to have at least a month of stored food for an emergency.

·
Registered
395 Posts
For me, it would be worrying about my families safety more than anything.

1.) If it's during school hours, my first thought would be to pop the trunk, gear up, and start walking, so I can get to my DD ASAP, and then us both getting home.
2.) Worrying about DH getting home safely because It would be a very long walk home in the cold.
3.) Worrying about my dad's safety and whether he could bug in and ride it out or if he'd need to bug out to our home.

·
Registered
95 Posts
#1 Everyone standing around needs to GTFO of my way.

#2... #1 in my only concern.

#3... read #1 I cant even grocery shop with people clogging isles BSing and reading the nutrition facts on the same can of corn they've been buying for 40 frikin years!!! People are going to have alot of "cool stories" to tell while they stand around in the middle of the freeway "hanging out". The thought of having to walk a few miles or more will not even register in there head till they stand there all day "waiting" for nothing. God help the poor soul that passes them with a full water bottle after they've been there all day.

Aint no body got time for that!

·
Banned
172 Posts
1. Um... what the H**L just happened.
2. I need to get home ASAP and check on my parents.
3. Now I need to get a running truck, more guns, more ammo and get to my grandmothers house.

·
reluctant sinner
17,913 Posts
1) I wonder how all those bitcoin holder's feel about their latest investment, same with all the people that have money in the bank but no food in the pantry.

2) Yea more commercials or dirtbag Politian's looking for my vote.

3) It will be sad not hearing from most of my family. About half of them are prepper's so I'm hoping for the best.

·
Registered
12,810 Posts
1 fire up the dozer/ back hoe and finish the under ground shelter.
2. replace surveillance system cameras,
3. check on the neighbors , "play dumb" , (that's the easy part.)

·
Gitter Done!
2,864 Posts
If the unexpected happened I won't be surprised.

1. Make my rounds checking on relatives and friends to see if everyone made it home. They already know to pack and have their EMP proof vehicles ready. Most live within a few miles of each other in the country, some are neighbors. They will head to the designated hideout.

2. At the hideout I drag out the thorium fusion reactor and start it up. Haha. Well the old generator anyway.

3. Start up the wood stove and start cooking the next meal of the day. Folks will be hungry when they arrive.

Then its the other side stuff, unpack the HAM and start seeing who is online and get as much info who was hit by the EMP.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I work 3rd shift, so if I'm driving at night, it's going to work, not from.

My vehicles are not EMP proof, and worst case, I'm stuck either about 15 miles from home and about 15 miles from work. Most likely, I'd gear up whatever I could carry from the vehicle and start working my way back home.

My first three thoughts, (after 'oh ****, holy ****) would be
1) Decide to get to work or back home.
2) why didn't I stock more fresh water?
3) how will we feed the dogs?

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
lets see: 1. get the "emergency bag" out from where its kept under the drivers seat. 2. grab the water bottles from the door pockets, the compass from the dash, first aid kit and folding saw from the back. 3. lock the car and start walking home......

·
Registered
269 Posts
1) I won't have to have the new furnace put in on monday
2) going to have to get the chainsaw out and cut a **** ton more firewood
3) hope wolf tastes good cause there aint no deer here anymore
As I keep telling Shewolf's cat, I am not edible. Dang furball keeps going after my feet.

1) how widespread is this?
2) how long until people realize whats going on and how violent will they be?
3) would we be safer staying at home or trying to walk to my uncles place.

·
Somewhere on a ranch...
1,944 Posts
1) oh c**p it actually happened...
2) Gotta grab the GHB and make sure there's nothing in my truck I might need because it's a 50 mile walk.
3) I hope the wife remembers to fill up the bathtubs for a little extra water.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,893 Posts
My first three things would be likely to be:

1. If it's an EMP and my car stops, the first thing I will look for is any other light; if *everything* is dark and my car is dead, I'll initially conclude it was an EMP. That assessment leads to 1a:

1a. Where are my wife and kids?

2. Grab the emergency kits and anything else of value from my car and walk the last three blocks home. I have about a 4 minute commute, so "almost there" is just a few blocks.

3. Go into the house and set out LED lanterns and take stock. I take a laptop back and forth to work, and I have a flashlight in the carry backpack, so I should have light as I enter the house. I also have flashlights in the car emergency kit, including an incandescent flashlight in case EMP has fried the LEDs, so I will have light.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts