Survivalist Forum banner

1281 - 1300 of 1313 Posts

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,722 Posts
My yard guy just piles them all in a corner of the backyard (wooden slat fence).

Anxiety pretty bad today. I can't imagine how I'd be without the love offering. Profound gratitude for that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A lot of random things. Working on the laundry - the new {to me} dryer came yesterday & I got it all hooked up last night after a couple supply runs. Had to swap out the cord & stuff to install it. Nice having a dryer after a solid year of using lines only. Still keeping the lines though for when needed. Then headed out to .99 Only - gotta grab litter boxes & other random things. Probably will check out canned goods while there.

I feel you on the first mow - I need to do ours this week too. Just not looking forward to it.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,722 Posts
My yard is so hairy.

A guy at work referred us to a tree guy years ago. He came out, the yard was a mess, met me and my husband, gossiped with the guy from work, heard our sad story, came back one day and mowed everything. He got a translator (no habla) and said he was touched by our story and would be taking care of the yard now. He has done that for years.

But Ron is dead so I don't know if he will keep coming. I am sure the guy from work told him. Is a youngish widow equal to a blind older guy in a wheelchair? We shall see.

I sure hope he keeps coming but he loses money every visit he could be doing a paying yard, so we will see.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
2,014 Posts
Random stuff here too, I guess I'm scatterbrained today and can't stick with one task very long.

Finished painting and installing a couple of curved window sill extensions I made which I wanted for two windows in my utility room so I can put more potted plants in those windows. Get excellent lighting and orchids do exceptionally well there. Couldn't find anything retail so I had to make some. Bought decorative brackets at Hobby Lobby.

Didn't get plants put on the sills yet though, I wandered off and did two or three other things. All things that needed doing but yet I feel a little schizophrenic in my approach to tasks today.

Right now, I'm going to mix up paint for my next painting. I know some colors I'll need to mix. I use little plastic condiment cups with lids to mix the paint in. That way I have a resealable container of pre mixed and labeled paints. I'm going to mix colors for skies and late afternoon, just slightly pre-sunset sky and clouds. Then a lot of greens for trees, grasses and etc.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,287
Mostly putzin' today. Still too many things to do. Watching grocery prices, they don't seem much changed, yet.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,722 Posts
Migraine. Taking the day off anyway. Plan to put email on my cell phone that is about it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Scattered rain again. Ok mother nature, that's enough. I just wanted an inch on the garden and you've gave us close to 2" already.
Probably random stuff again today. Got the electronic ignition box for the pos beater 4x4 yesterday, so will get that on. Have trash and cut up pallet debree to haul off.
May have to eyeball the shower valve project again and see about getting that wrapped up.
I'm sure there's other to-do's here also. :unsure:

Made 9 more bank payments on the car we bought last may with those cheese checks. Got one left. Due May 2022. :p:D
I'm thinking I may want to go get 2 more of those shelving units for the storeroom before the rest of it tickles my palms too much. :)

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,722 Posts
Got an interview at Home Depot. Not a bad process they have for hiring.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
2,014 Posts
continuing to clean up/straighten up after the Great Freeze of 2021.

I have to cut down a few more citrus trees and I'll be done. Lost them all. Thought a few were going to make it, but no.

I think I'm going to convert it all to peaches or plums or both.

Very humid today. Dogs keep bringing pine cones in to shred. Hard to get mad at them when they're so cute. Cute but messy.

Attending an in-person auction later today. May find an acquisition. Loupe will be in my pocket!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Added more tree trimmings to the burn pile. Fifth straight day of red flag warning ( no burn). Even though there is absolutely not even a breeze in the AM & my set up is a 9 horse pump w/ a 2” line & fire nozzle fed from a large pond.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,293 (Edited)
Picking up wife's med's later this morning and getting some first aid supplies. I thought I had bought some decongestant spray but about 2 am this morning I got a nose bleed, fortunately I was awake and didn't make a mess. Opened the med cabinet and was only 1 old bottle. Luckily it still had 2 sprays in it, then was enough, not a really bad bleed like awhile back. After that run no telling what, I got no enthusiasm to do anything. Got the want to but not the do its.
Got an Amazon delivery yesterday and loaded the cart with over $100 of crap. Glad I didn't pull the trigger on it and will probably delete the stuff. I need to stay off Amazon for a while but I keep thinking of things I want. Large quantities of cooking ingredients mostly, yesterday was 1 Kilo of instant dashi for Japanese soups and kimchi making and a gallon of rice vinegar. It's a mild vinegar, I use it in stir fry sauces and salad dressings, 4.2% vinegar and noticeably less sharp that 5% vinegar. I ought to go the the other forum and tell CJF what I got in the cart. 2 gallons Shoyu soy sauce, 2 liter sesame oil, and 6 lb. Korean red pepper flakes. Bet I could hear her screaming at me all the way from Long Island. :devilish: Not going to buy all the stuff though. Maybe half of it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Two things today. Shopping and planning. Took note of all the buildings on the property no matter how small to see whether I could add gutters to catch ALL the rainwater that now runs to waste.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Scouting out a new wilderness camp tomorrow, was up at our existing one last week and it seems people starting to spread out a little too close in the immediate area.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,722 Posts
Wooley, Zeke called my area "Little Vietnam" and we have a couple of asian grocers not far away, one on the bus line. I have been able to get all sorts of condiments. My favorite is the fermented black bean garlic in the jar. But some sesame oil drizzled over some fresh green beans isn't bad either. And they have a lot of fun vegetables.

Today I'm going to clean up the house a little and get info on what schedules will work with the bus. Dad is coming to town today and I will meet him for dinner.

Reactions: redfin

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Picking up wife's med's later this morning and getting some first aid supplies. I thought I had bought some decongestant spray but about 2 am this morning I got a nose bleed, fortunately I was awake and didn't make a mess. Opened the med cabinet and was only 1 old bottle. Luckily it still had 2 sprays in it, then was enough, not a really bad bleed like awhile back. After that run no telling what, I got no enthusiasm to do anything. Got the want to but not the do its.
Got an Amazon delivery yesterday and loaded the cart with over $100 of crap. Glad I didn't pull the trigger on it and will probably delete the stuff. I need to stay off Amazon for a while but I keep thinking of things I want. Large quantities of cooking ingredients mostly, yesterday was 1 Kilo of instant dashi for Japanese soups and kimchi making and a gallon of rice vinegar. It's a mild vinegar, I use it in stir fry sauces and salad dressings, 4.2% vinegar and noticeably less sharp that 5% vinegar. I ought to go the the other forum and tell CJF what I got in the cart. 2 gallons Shoyu soy sauce, 2 liter sesame oil, and 6 lb. Korean red pepper flakes. Bet I could hear her screaming at me all the way from Long Island. :devilish: Got going to buy all the stuff though. Maybe half of it.
Ayup. Amazon is a bad habit for sure. :whistle: :D Tough to break the cycle when yer still stocking up. Bezo's doesn't need all that stuff for himself......

Water heater in the bed bath kicked a breaker a couple weeks ago. Course you never find that out until yer neeked and jump into the shower.......It's a kicked a couple times since so I need to change the lower element today. I keep an extra for it.
Been looking for someone to foam fill a couple of small tires and finally just asked :)confused::unsure:)
and 1 of our local tire shops in town does that. So may run in and price that project. Need some electric fence posts anyways.
Get that stuff out of the way, then have a younger friend (mechanic) thats up on all this newer stuff, coming over to work on this atv ignition.
Got the parts for the beater 4x4. Get it pushed into the shop and work on it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,298
Wooley, Zeke called my area "Little Vietnam" and we have a couple of asian grocers not far away, one on the bus line. I have been able to get all sorts of condiments. My favorite is the fermented black bean garlic in the jar. But some sesame oil drizzled over some fresh green beans isn't bad either. And they have a lot of fun vegetables.
I was going to say you must be in the Bellaire Blvd. area but I think several areas are known as "little Vietnam". We have a Hong Kong market close to us and a Middle Eastern store not far away. I haven't been to either since this pandemic stuff started and I know neither has the gallon size of Kikkoman Shoyo soy sauce. I like that better than Korean or Chinese soy sauce, more fruity tasting. Also neither has gallon size rice vinegar. HK market used to have the 3 lb bags of pepper flakes but no more, they did have the Kadoya sesame oil in 56 oz size. I still have some. Last time I saw gallons of Kikkoman Shoyu was at the Walmart in Alvin maybe 25 yrs. ago. Got 2 gallons then but long gone now. Middle Eastern store used to have 100's of liter and #10 cans of green olives, pitted and not pitted, no more

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,722 Posts
I live in NW between the Beltway and 1960, near 249. It is pretty quiet although we are seeing Section 8 renters coming into the subdivision. I feel safe living here, not far from a bus line - good thing as most of my transportation died with my husband. I have Larry I can pay for rides, Uber, and Metro bus. Happily "my" route runs great hours. It is a dark bus stop so I got a reflective vest to wear if I have to ride in the early morning.

But my Dad is going to drive me around the next couple days, and I have an interview, so happy with that. I am asking God to please send the yard guy (he volunteers) to do my yard before Dad gets here. We will see if He thinks it's worth answering. God has taken really good care of me so I will continue with my faith, it's worked so far. I will just be glad when I have A job don't really care what just no home care. It is too soon for that. I wouldn't mind being a sitter in a year or two for granny while Mom runs out and gets her nails done, sort of thing, but what I was doing at the end was pretty intense and a lot of anxiety for me. I was so worried I would screw up and he would get hurt or die. 😢 I worry the ME will blame me somehow even though everyone who knew us says I did everything right. So I ask God to find cause of death, accurately, not pointing the finger at me, and something that insurance will pay. I think it pays to be specific.

I did some housework this morning so I won't freak out Dad when he comes. But the next couple days as far as I know I am off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ran to the store & stocked up on things with deals. Rest of the day I'm going to let the pain meds kick in & see what I can get done. Need to do the yard but not sure it's a good idea. Have a Walmart order in for the things I couldn't get at HEB but they cancelled my compost out of it, so I'll have to figure out where is best to go for it & get the renter to drive me at some point.

1281 - 1300 of 1313 Posts