Survivalist Forum banner

881 - 900 of 952 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #882
I just remembered, I got those canning lids that I ordered. Plan is to can up some apple syrup, I have everything for that, it's a pressure can project I think, oh nuts, don't have corn syrup.

Reactions: Stwood

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #883
Need to go get the Amish boys for wood stacking. Road out front is good, but their very long drive is uphill getting out so.........and the old 4x4 beater refuses to start so.....walking may be involved.
Walking? In the snow? Uphill? Both ways? And barefooted I suppose. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,467 Posts
Where I live is under a boil water order so I am spending the day filtering a bunch of water so I don't have to eat into my currently stored water. I have around 100 liters in bottles but don't want to start using that when I can still turn on the tap and just filter the water. That being said I am filtering water to save from using the stored water until the taps run dry (hopefully that won't happen but I ain't counting on it) and I am not boiling water because I am trying to avoid and outrageous electricity bill next month.

Winter storms in the south... wood burning stove and water filters. I am not too concerned at this point

·
Indefatigable
20,313 Posts
A Tulsa FB group I belong to is making care packages, mostly for the homeless, but also for those who members know personally in need. I'm high risk, I won't be going on deliveries so I am putting together packs. The leader dropped off supplies last night and I have been stuffing zip locks all morning. The ones I am doing consist of socks, gloves, hats and emergency blankets. Others are doing toiletries (including masks and sanitizer) and food. Distribution begins tomorrow at noon.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Walking? In the snow? Uphill? Both ways? And barefooted I suppose. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
She walked....Her idea.....I waited in the warm truck. Downhill a quarter mile.........and yea.........uphill coming back about a third of that distance.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,758 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty much back to normal within the parameters of active 'prepping'.

It's funny to me, though. As some of you here know in my talking about my family, we were at times dirt poor, through no fault of my mother, KWIM? And she grew up fairly rural, with parents who were young adults during the depression (mom born 1939) and while they didn't have much money, they never lacked for food, clothing, a nice home, good transportation and maintained their appearances. Even ladies who don't have much money want to remain ladylike in appearance, which was very important in those days. They were taught the 'old' ways of doing things, and they didn't completely abandon those ways even after they moved to town. So my mother grew up doing things the old ways, and while we, her children, didn't completely grow up doing everything the way our grandparents did, we did know how to do many of them. Like Mountain said in one of his posts, he grew up listening to his grandparents talk about life during the depression and how that mindset continued on even decades later. And still continues for many of us.

To me, it's a sane way to live. As Carla Emery once said, it was a way of living where everything was under her hand, under her direct control. To me, that's exactly what makes it sane.

So they learned ways to do that, even if by our current standards they would be pretty low-tech materials and methods. But they did. Look at all the pictures of your own lady aunts, grandmothers and great grandparents and great aunts. They were dressed nicely, clean, neat as a pin, coiffed, and lipstick and a bit of rouge. Always.

Point I'm trying to make is that in this relatively minor SHTF, we preppers just switch over from daily life mode to daily prepper life mode. You just shift gears and start doing more of one set of activities and less of the other. When life goes back to current 'normal', you switch back.

To me, it's just as comfortable to me to live a much lower tech life than it is to constantly do the upkeep of contemporary life. It's cheaper too. But I still maintain a certain standard in my appearance and my home. Might be doing things low tech, but I'm not going to look low tech or live in a low tech dump.

Sorry for the mishmash of ideas. I haven't had my covfefe yet.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,313 Posts
I am worried about our electric bill next month BUT when we had the pipe break equipment running nonstop for a week it only got up to $200 (including regular usage).

I can run a little high strung at times (working on that regulating caffeine use and practicing my faith) and almost screamed a couple times today running water and I heard air in the line. Ugh. But I shouldn't need to cut it off tonight.

One thing that teed me. I am in NW Harris county outside the city limits but still a Houston address. Our water district has done a stellar job and no problems with the tap water. Last night I was watching the weather forecast and they had it in the 20's in Montgomery county (north of me) and then for the entirety of Harris county they had it above freezing. Like the 20's are going to very politely say "Oh this is the county line we're not allowed in Harris" so I said **** it and cut my water, drained my lines. I slept in until 8, and when I got up it was 34 so ABSOLUTELY the right thing to do.

It is very nice out right now, sunny and in the 60's. I plan to go get a sun bath (sitting in my street clothes) once I get the washer done. I will go sit outside once I get my clothes in the dryer.

I had some wet food I got for very special treats for the cats and was feeding it daily. Now they are demanding it, but sorry I am out. I thought that was funny I will have to get more for our next emergency.

All hail the utility district they even wrangled and off the schedule trash pickup for us today. I am very pleased with their performance. And the bills are low I only pay about $35 a month for my water and trash.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,758 Posts
It is indeed a glorious day outside. I'm trying to stay out there and cut down all the mush that used to be landscape plants. Summer snowflake bulbs were in full bloom, but now they are collapsed on the ground like piles of boiled spinach. Sad, I love summer snowflakes.

Does your water company offer a leak adjustment? Most allow one leak adjustment a year.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #890

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,758 Posts
Really? I'd say most water companies offer it, and simply average out your bill for the year and apply that average to the month you claim the leak adjustment. May call it something else. For when a pipe breaks, for example, and your yard fills up like a swimming pool while you're at work.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #892
Went to the grocery store this morning at the usual time. Sign on door said that yesterday and today only open 8 am to 5 pm. Trying to prevent running out of stock I guess. We came on back and not planning on going again today. Anything I just have to have I can get elsewhere closer. Today more putzin' and trying to get the garage rearranged again. Just doesn't seem to last, too many places to throw down stuff. I have some ideas for increasing storage out there for things that can stand the summertime heat. Yesterday I a couple Life Straws and they should arrive later in the week. Two Amazon orders disappeared in San Bernadino, CA. I'll give'm another week 10 days before canceling.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,313 Posts
Maz when I had my leak about 14 months ago my bill did not go up. I think in part because I had the water off for about a week total so all the showers, laundry, flushing I didn't do balanced the water that I did lose. When I had my leak it was in my bedroom so it did a lot of damage.

But I had an amazing contractor and things look fantastic now.

I have been wondering: if people did not turn off water and had a pipe break as a result, will insurance still pay? It seems to me they would not.

In my case a hot waterline just blew in the middle of the night in my ceiling. I kept the section of pipe for the company and they had no problem paying. They were especially glad to hear about my re-pipe.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Get the bath water line wrapped up. Had a leak at where the old terloit shutoff attaches to new pipe repair. Get that taken care of then maybe remove the shower valve.

And do some putzing. Most likely leave early tomorrow am for a trial. 2hr drive.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #895
Get the bath water line wrapped up. Had a leak at where the old terloit shutoff attaches to new pipe repair. Get that taken care of then maybe remove the shower valve.

And do some putzing. Most likely leave early tomorrow am for a trial. 2hr drive.
Trial probably only last a week.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #898
Yeah, ex-con etc. Good if it goes that way. I got called for jury duty on a murder then an aggravated assault of a child. Both times attorneys said a week or less.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #899
One of those "white nights", up at 1 am then crash for a while around 5:15am. Butt is dragging already and lower back hurts. Don't know why, seems like it's been coming on for several days. Might be caused by setting at kitchen table playing games with wife for 3 days. Got to get the kinks out and get a frig today, old one is holding between 45 and 50 and meat is still frozen.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Not doing much but rain is expected which should wash most of the snow off... unless it turns to snow. It is 34 and overcast right now.

I'm getting some new living room furniture soon and my son is taking the old sectional couch, so I have to get that vacuumed out and will attack the rest of the room. But with my back pain, I have to pace myself. I have to rotate my gasoline supplies into both cars as well. If the rain holds off I'll take the hot rod out and bang some gears.

881 - 900 of 952 Posts