Survivalist Forum banner

861 - 880 of 917 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #861
Tink, tink, tink. Is this thing on?
We had a "slight" communication breakdown. You know the one that says "Hey power companies, we're paying you to provide electricity, WTH is it since 2:20 am Monday morning" TX governor said to ERCOT, Energy Reliablity Council of Texas, "Where are you in all this?" Answer "Not our problem." Uh, Oo, I here heads rolling at ERCOT and the energy companies. Governor told power companies "Everybody knew about coming weather a week ago. Why do you have plants down for winter maintenance? Get them running before the end of the day." Power back about 2 am this morning and everything looks good. I think everything is the freezer is OK and I'm sick of playing Monopoly and other board games with wife. Still cold today but temps start rising above freezing this afternoon in Houston. Local news have Friendswood at 35 right now. Local temps forecast 50 to 70 for highs next 5 days. Don't know what will happen here today besides the usual stuff.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Officially done with quarantine today..which is Day 20 since I tested positive for Covid. Since the high temp is projected to be 25, I doubt I go anywhere. I am doing much better, stopped extra O2 a week ago..hoping Home Medical picks up their equipment today. Still dealing with joint pain, sinus headache, and insomnia. Looking forward to more normal stuff next week: babysitting youngest granddaughter, doctor appointment, ear clinic appointment, haircut Friday..and all with the added promise of much nicer weather conditions. Today, will be spent reading, crocheting, and fixing dinner. Laundry is caught up, house looks presentable..so dinner and dishes are main worry. Hope everyone is warm and safe!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #863
More preps I need have become obvious the past few days. I'll be researching hand crank radios along with other stuff today. I'll buy a radio today, first on the priority list, hurricane season coming soon. Never worried about those before.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #864
Just ordered a radio, should get it next week. Got an email from an old friend from a now defunct forum in Canada asking if all is OK. Haven't swapped emails with him in a long time. Procrastination is my favorite hobby.

Reactions: Stwood

·
Jackpine Savage
4,006 Posts
More preps I need have become obvious the past few days. I'll be researching hand crank radios along with other stuff today. I'll buy a radio today, first on the priority list, hurricane season coming soon. Never worried about those before.
Hand crank radios suck. Should you have one? Yup. for something like you just went through though I would go with something like the Dwalt D cell radio if you have a good stock of batteries or if you have Ryobi tools they make a radio that takes the 18V one+ battery.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #866
Hand crank radios suck. Should you have one? Yup. for something like you just went through though I would go with something like the Dwalt D cell radio if you have a good stock of batteries or if you have Ryobi tools they make a radio that takes the 18V one+ battery.
I have Dewalt 20 volt. These radios are new to me but probably been around a good while. There are Dewalt 20V radios. I'll check them out, probably can't have too many radios.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Red, glad yer back. Was getting worried dude. Yes, takes times like these to fill those prep gaps.
KSMama, glad yer doing better.

Still working on shelving, moving and sorting. Bought a latch for the hidie door but need a shorter/different one. I want to be able to go inside and latch it shut.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #868
Cruising forums and catching up. I see a lot of places with 2 - 3 day gaps in posting.

Reactions: Stwood

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Spray weeds, drive to town and pick up a ton of hay and grain. While there, check Sportsman's for powder and pick up some bare root strawberries. If a nice cherry or apricot tree i'll get one. I have an early apricot. It is blooming now. Way too early and the fruit will freeze with the first hard frost. Need a late blooming apricot

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,704 Posts
Yesterday, and all night last night (didn't go to bed until almost 6 a.m.) and so far today, I feel very strange. I had to stop listening to the Rush Limbaugh show because it was too heartbreaking.

Something, over the last 24 hours, has changed in my brain. No, not a stroke. Not a break with reality. But something is very obviously different. I sound different. Things look a little odd, like I never really noticed the details of things I use daily. Hyper-everything; hearing, touch, sight.

Something happened when I heard of Rush's passing. I don't know why it's upset me the way it has but I have been crying off and on all day and night last night. And the next s.o.b. to tell me to stop crying is going to get a split lip. I didn't cry like this when President Reagan died, nor Neil Peart (those who know me, know).

I've been listening to Rush for years, since the very early 90s. I used to listen to him in the lab I was working at during that time. Set off a few liberals but it also brought a few liberals around to our way of thinking.

His death did something to me I can't explain. Brought things into focus. Solidified some plan making. Tomorrow I will be putting something in motion I have wanted for a long time but somehow lacked the impetus to do. I think I now have that impetus. And now that I do, it's crystal clear, the path is unfolding. The more I think about it and put forth a plan, the path unfolds a bit more. Like tiny steps, each one the result of years of planning and researching. But amazingly, now seems to be the right time for each plan to take it's place, just a bit at a time, and I marvel at it's seeming perfection. So I'm in no hurry to finish it. I'm enjoying understanding it unfold so slowly.

Don't know what I'm going to do today. Plan. Plan. Plan. There seems to be nothing holding back the planning anymore. I'm not sure what was holding it back before, but it seems to be gone now.

·
Patiently Waiting
6,049 Posts
Our A/C unit died about a month ago. Can’t get parts for it because of its age. Gonna pick up two slightly smaller units to replace the one big unit we had.

Just gotta get off my butt and hook the trailer up to the car.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
First and foremost hoping and praying for the brothers and sisters impacted by these storms. Then renewing my efforts to get more and more needed supplies - based on what has happened throughout the country and could easily impact myself, my family, and my community

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #873
Today just trying to get back to normal and taking it as it comes. Still haven't had any mail delivery since last Saturday. I wonder what happened to the "neither rain nor sleet or snow will stay this courier from his appointed rounds"? I guess when they dreamed that up there weren't any electronic sorting machines and package handling equipment or power outages.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Our A/C unit died about a month ago. Can’t get parts for it because of its age. Gonna pick up two slightly smaller units to replace the one big unit we had.

Just gotta get off my butt and hook the trailer up to the car.
Try Ebay. Theres tons of parts on there.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Today just trying to get back to normal and taking it as it comes. Still haven't had any mail delivery since last Saturday. I wonder what happened to the "neither rain nor sleet or snow will stay this courier from his appointed rounds"? I guess when they dreamed that up there weren't any electronic sorting machines and package handling equipment or power outages.
Yea I got a Amazon third party seller package out there in ozone land somewhere, shipped Fed-Ex though. Never have problems with them, but this ones been a snaffu for sure, mainly due to the snow and bad roads I'm sure. It's been due for the last 4 days, but still in a truck for delivery according to tracking #.

Winding up the shelving project today. A little stuff left to sort and shelve, and need a different latch. Then it's time to wrestle with the broken pvc water line in the bath. Got all the parts, just need to get started.
Also have a shower valve that doesn't work right, and need to get that looked at so the complaints will stop. :rolleyes::unsure::giggle:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #876
I also have a couple Amazon deliveries hung up due to weather. Maybe next week.

·
Indefatigable
20,298 Posts
Woot! BIG day planned, I'm leaving the house!! LOL
The roads are clear, I'm driving with my MIL into Skiatook to pick up a bead order that has been sitting there for the last 10 days. When in Skiatook, we can't bypass our fav dispensary, highest quality, lowest prices, most knowledgeable staff, they make the ones in Tulsa look pathetic. Before we leave town we always hit up the coffee shack (old moto photo) with the best coffee in 100 miles! I did get a kick out of the lady who runs it, the first time we went, she had to ask 3 times to make sure we just wanted BLACK coffee LOL Finally stop, Juanita's in Sperry for a plate of Mx food to go. Then it's back to my house to eat and watch a movie.
The irony of that trip never fails to hit me. When I was a kid we would do anything for a trip to Tulsa. Now that I live on the edge of Tulsa, I prefer to drive in the opposite direction to shop and eat.

Reactions: ksmama10

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #878
Temps above freezing overnight in Friendswood and rising to 70 or more later in the week. Texas weather, sheesh. Checked Amazon, I got 5 deliveries hung up, third party and Amazon. One Walmart delivery scheduled for today. Heard from Genus Castor, Dave or Dan Berry can't remember which, in East Texas, said they came through OK. He used to live 2 or 3 miles down the road in Pearland. We had a face to face not long before they moved to the sticks. There's one or two more WN'ers in Pearland also. I haven't met them.
I guess I'll cannibalize that old storm door and get it ready for the trash, it's blocking my TS. I'll try to making it into small enough pieces to fit in a trash can rather than let the scavengers have it. Got some other stuff to cut up for trash also. A bandsaw sure would be handy just now. Scroll, jig, saw will do it though.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yea, Genus from WN said he would ck on ya.
Glad the Texas temps are coming up. Ours are. 40 yesterday. Course we still have 15" snow plied up, ice dams hanging off the roofs. But better than below 0.

Try and finish the bath plumbing up. New tank valve.....remove shower valve.
Then more shop time.
Need to go get the Amish boys for wood stacking. Road out front is good, but their very long drive is uphill getting out so.........and the old 4x4 beater refuses to start so.....walking may be involved.
My Amazon order didn't show. No big hurry. Caught another can of dried honey there for 13 and change. Fills an empty spot and makes an even numbered count. Gotta quit that.....

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #880
Well walking will at least likely be warm work, eventually.

861 - 880 of 917 Posts