Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
3681 - 3700 of 3722 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had a quiet day. Mass, adoration at another church, some time at the cemetery then at a grotto. Food just isn't appealing today. I did have a few ounces of hot apple cider. I picked up some things to try and spruce up the van. It's starting to show it's age. The "mother's" brand vinyl, plastic leather cleaner did a really nice job. The steering wheel and shift and the plastic trim around the doors look brand new :) The tougher spots just took a very light wipe with a dollar store magic eraser. Next up I tried their chrome, aluminum polish. I saw a video using it with a buffer pad on a drill and it made the headlights clear again. I was too lazy to break that out today but a did try and hand polish. There was an improvement but it's a long way from perfect. I'll try again another day. The back to black same brand I was not impressed with. I'll give it another shot but it was streaky and seemed to dry too light for my liking. I have new head lights in my other car. I'll have to do some research to see if there is a polish or film I can put on it to protect it so it stays clear and doesn't yellow.

I've got a tofu turkey in the oven, I have some corn bread, green beans, maple tarragon baked sweet potatoes, orange glazed acorn squash, and garlic roasted mashed potatoes and home made cranberry chutney. I baked a pie yesterday. I'll try and eat it and see what happens. TG is just a hard day. It is what it is.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,683 ·
Today's plan of finishing the cooking then eating worked out. I don' remember being so full. Maybe I'm just not eating a lot at one time anymore, that's OK too. Wife didn't want to watch football, Woo Hoo. :D

·
I have control issues
6,623 Posts
Smoked the turkey,(It came out SO good) but we were all VERY surprised at the amount of fat on it under the skin...even after being smoked for 5 hours (it was done MUCH faster than we had anticipated) there was still about 3/8 inch of fat on it under the skin. The meat was very nice and moist, though. LOTS of good "drippings" in the pan, which were poured off into a bowl to use in making stock for pot pies. Spent the day over at daughter's house, eating and celebrating with family and a couple of friends.

One of the pigs managed to escape his pen just before we were going to eat. Managed to chase him into the cow/goat pen and shut him in there until after dinner, then used a combination of a 16-foot hog panel and the utility trailer to form a "chute" between the dairy pen gate and the pig pens. Took VERY little urging to get him moving, and he went right back into his pen.

Brought the turkey carcass home and pulled off what meat I could, then got out my biggest stock pot and put the carcass in tha, and added the drippings from earlier. It's now cooking down along with the necks from the turducken and the turkey. It will cook all tonight, and all day tomorrow, then I'll strip off any remaining meat, and strain the stock. Should make some really tasty pot pies.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,768 Posts
One of my cousin's kids is going to grow up to be a line backer or something. He is very strong, very muscled, even at 3-4 years old. He was crying to eat before the food was ready so his dad gave him a turkey drumstick. He ate the entire thing (a 3 year old) then climbed up on the counter and picked meat off the carcass after "Daddy" finished trimming the meat. I hate to see their grocery bill in a few years! Then he ate a full meal and about an hour later wanted a snack. He is a normal weighted child but I could only guess he has a growth spurt.

I remember I would drink about half a gallon of milk, a day, as a teenager. I didn't have much appetite due to my medication but you could always find me with a large glass of milk in my hand, and I was very thin.

It wasn't until I got out on my own with all the convenience foods I had a problem.

I work tonight so I don't have to leave for a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Today I will be opening the two new AeroGarden systems I bought clearanced out at Walmart. They only have three spaces each but I’m excited to give them a try. It comes with herbs so I purchased lettuce and tomato pods from Amazon.

I already grow sprouts in jars on the counter but would love to have another way to grow some fresh food in the middle of winter.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,688 ·
Not much today. Ongoing cleanup and putzin', more chillin' inside, outside 45 deg. and not much change today. Biggest decision I hope will be supper. TG leftovers, or pork chops and sumpin, or sausage on bolillios with refried beans and sauerkraut.

Reactions: Stwood

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Awaiting the warmup. Supposed to be 60'ish today. Was 29 when I peeked at the temp gauge earlier.
So, back to the wood cutting. Probably do 2 more trailer loads of 24" for the shop, then switch to 16" for the house.
I want to get all of next years cut and piled before I do any splitting. I can split most anytime then, even in a snow storm. Lol.

I didn't work on the saw with the oiler problem yesterday as planned. Maybe today.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,692 ·
Awaiting the warmup. Supposed to be 60'ish today. Was 29 when I peeked at the temp gauge earlier.
So, back to the wood cutting. Probably do 2 more trailer loads of 24" for the shop, then switch to 16" for the house.
I want to get all of next years cut and piled before I do any splitting. I can split most anytime then, even in a snow storm. Lol.

I didn't work on the saw with the oiler problem yesterday as planned. Maybe today.
You sound like me. :LOL:

• Love
Reactions: Stwood

·
I Seen A Sighting!
3,612 Posts
Bringing in more of the tender tropicals but this year a big difference--I don't have to find places for them for the winter! I have plenty of room, for once in my life! But I do have to avoid the temptation to buy more plants. And that's hard.

Cleaning, mostly today. I haven't dusted for a while and man, it's gruesome around here. I've gone thru 2 rolls of paper towels and all my clean rags so far. I may get out Christmas decoration totes and sort thru them while doing a little decorating. I know there is some stuff in there too worn out to use again. Silk poinsettias that are smashed and mashed and last year or 2 I had a hard time fluffing them up to look good. So I think it's time they went.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,768 Posts
Last night was pretty crazy at the store. We had a lot of stuff left (not electronics) from the specials so people had this frenzied shop about them "gotta get it now while in stock". Hopefully the store did alright re: sales. Only got about 4 hours of sleep so drinking some coffee before I get going.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,698 ·
Got rain forecast all day so just putzin' outside maybe and never ending cleaning inside. I'll be starting part of dinner early, making an Amaranth tabbouleh and later air fried pork chops from a method an internet friend told me, maybe baked sweet potatoes in the air fryer also. The sweets I did TG were the best I've ever made, a definite do again.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
High of 60 after bit, so I'll do firewood again today.
Got my saw with the oiler problem oiling again. Had it completely broke down, wiring the oil hose and passages. Found no blockages, and the pump seemed ok. Then I spotted the problem. The new gear I put in last year, hadn't engaged the sprocket drive properly, and had quit turning. It's a little touchy getting it in there and knowing it's engaged, as you cannot see it after sliding the sprocket drive over the gear.
The engagement notches were damaged a little, but I managed to get it engaged fully this time by installing it a different way.
It's oiling, so today's run should tell if it continues to be ok.

3681 - 3700 of 3722 Posts