Survivalist Forum banner

281 - 294 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Good luck Iamfarticum.
Original intent was to hit Wally's for geezer hour today but nah don't need anything important.
I've been burning one or more oil lamps/lanterns in the evening while watching TV. With the light from that 50" flat screen and the yellow/orange light from the oil lamps in give a light quality similar to an indoor movie theater. More restful that an electric light. Probably more expensive too.

Reactions: MikeK

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yesterdays plans were a bust mostly. Spent most of my dealing dealing with the clogged drain.
I know where it's clogged now, just can't reach it with the 25' auger. I'll go procure a longer one at the hardware/lumber yard, plus some other needed project items.
I had over a 100' of garden hose shoved in the drain end, and found the clog there but couldn't bump it loose.
So I dug up the T on the other end and shoved it in the other direction and found the clog again, about 30' in.
PVC line, sure hope it isn't cracked and has tree roots in it.

Other than that, wife has a friend coming over to help process the freezer fill we have in the frig. Most will be ground into burger. She also wants to try making bologna from some of it, for some odd reason. :unsure: :rolleyes:
This deer is getting to be a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yesterday's plans went to heck big time. We had a storm blow in off the ocean. I lost a big cedar tree limb that took out my electrical wires and tore the mast off the house. Somehow the power is on. And my nice car is under the mess. I can't even get close to look at it. I have an adjuster coming at 9. Plus 3 sections of fence are down. PSEG is supposed to come out to free the wires. Insurance is covering the tree branch removal and the electrician to put the mast back up. I have to call PSEG... again... to see where they are.
Ouch. Thats tough. Hope your damage is minimal

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
The adjuster showed up, she lives in town. The tree guy, I know them and they will work up an estimate. The electrician too, I know the family too. I'll call PSEG next to get the wires out of the tree. Freaking cat knocked my pill case off the counter and one barfed on my bedroom floor. Guess who stepped in it? Anyone want a couple of mostly peaceful cats?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
Other than that, wife has a friend coming over to help process the freezer fill we have in the frig. Most will be ground into burger. She also wants to try making bologna from some of it, for some odd reason. :unsure: :rolleyes:
This deer is getting to be a pain in the ass.
Lady on another forum got me interested in sausage making. Didn't take much, I've been studying on it for a good while. I got an inexpensive meat grinder attachment for my KA mixer. Next trip to the grocery picked up a fresh ham and had it sliced the cut it up in chunks and trimmed it. Ran it through the grinder but discovered I hadn't trimmed the fat well enough. Grinder clogged and made meat paste. Didn't discover the cause until cleanup. Got 4 1/2 lb. sort of ground ham from a 9 lb. ham. Bone and trimmings made the rest. The stuff is pretty good. Haven't the last package today with pancakes.

·
Indefatigable
19,924 Posts
City of Tulsa tore up our street back in June. We lost one section of our sidewalk, luckier than most who lost all of theirs. Their idea of "fixing" the side walks in this old neighborhood was to throw some chat down. Which of course scattered and we have been hitting it with the lawnmower ever since.
Well, they are back. Our side walk is gone, so is most of the drive and it doesn't look like the fence is going to survive either. We still have water, I suppose that's the silver lining I am supposed to be happy about. Instead I am worrying they are going to hit the gas line.
I have a trackhoe12 ft from the window in my office. Between having to keep the barking dogs in the house and the noise from the machines, the headphones and my heavy metal collection are going to be my best friend until the rain and snow start sometime later today. Looks like an extensive project and I am considering moving the office to a corner of the living area in the back of the house.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Lady on another forum got me interested in sausage making. Didn't take much, I've been studying on it for a good while. I got an inexpensive meat grinder attachment for my KA mixer. Next trip to the grocery picked up a fresh ham and had it sliced the cut it up in chunks and trimmed it. Ran it through the grinder but discovered I hadn't trimmed the fat well enough. Grinder clogged and made meat paste. Didn't discover the cause until cleanup. Got 4 1/2 lb. sort of ground ham from a 9 lb. ham. Bone and trimmings made the rest. The stuff is pretty good. Haven't the last package today with pancakes.
Good deal on the sausage making.

Guess who stepped in it? Anyone want a couple of mostly peaceful cats?
Are they greasy??

:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
Good deal on the sausage making.
Cooked my last package made into patties for supper tonight. Just as good as the first batch. No added fat, little salt or black pepper, but has thyme and marjoram. Sweet and tasty. Getting more ham as soon as the price is right.

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Girl friend is coming over later and we are making baked ziti, she has a jones for it. I'm making the sauce, she is bringing the rest, meatballs and sausage, fresh pasta.

Internet is working, house is warm cats and birds are fed. Late in the afternoon PSEG came and got the limb off my car and got my electric mast back up. The car has minimal damage, may not be worth getting into depending on my deductible. The adjuster is going to write up my fence, then she noticed my back 2nd story gutter is loose, added that in as well. I doubt all the estimates will be done today so I'll otherwise open mail and pay bills.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
Expecting an Augason order from WM today per WM. Coming via USPS, that's weird. Probably chat up WM CS and try to find out WTH. USPS says label created but package not received for mailing.

Rainy today. Light rain since maybe 3 am so nothing outside. Dating the stash and reorganizing again today.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Odd they are using USPS Red. Ours always comes FedEx. Different parts of the country I suppose, or Fed is overloaded maybe.
I got a amazon order via FedEx yesterday. I thought amazon quit them. Hmmm.

Drain was clogged in 2 places. All flowing now and covered one hole back up. Have to run over and get a rubber boot to connect the pipe back together where I cut it on the second. I cut it just exactly past the plug. Lol. Used a chainsaw to cut it. Worked well. Warning.....it does splash chit all over your right pants leg. Had just put them on clean yesterday morning.

Probably hit the back forty and dig up that far hydrant that I think is leaking below before I run to the hardware/lumber yard. Save-A-Trip.....

Probably help grind some of the vension into burger later today. Got the grinder all cleaned up the other day. Heavy duty thing. 1/2hp motor with reducer gear box. Bought it at auction a few years back. $15.00 I think.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
Odd they are using USPS Red. Ours always comes FedEx. Different parts of the country I suppose, or Fed is overloaded maybe.
Warning.....it does splash chit all over your right pants leg. Had just put them on clean yesterday morning.
Probably help grind some of the vension into burger later today. Got the grinder all cleaned up the other day. Heavy duty thing. 1/2hp motor with reducer gear box. Bought it at auction a few years back. $15.00 I think.
Yeah it's a first for me also, usually FedEx.
Man I hate it when you can't get a full 7 days out of a pair of jeans before getting clean.:ROFLMAO:
Excellent deal on the grinder. Checked grocery flying this morning and they got pork butts for $0.99. I'll get at least one for breakfast sausage. I haven't got the stuffing tubes for this grinder so no link sausage, yet.

281 - 294 of 294 Posts