Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
2841 - 2860 of 2989 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Good deal on the storm down there Red. Glad it was a no-go.

Need to do tomatoes before loosing them. Only a couple of quarts so I'll frig them for now.
Then see about doing straight pepper jelly.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,447 Posts
About 20 years ago a tropical storm came through. It was just some rain and a little wind. We had just moved to Houston. I told my husband it was "dull and boring". 3 days later it took a turn, came back, and flooded the whole city. You may know it as Tropical Storm Allison. So I never say anything about a lackluster storm until it is well over. But it is dry here and no appreciable wind.

Bus is only partially back one of my routes but not the other... glad I didn't work today.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,447 Posts
Found a memorial page for those who worked at the plant where Ron and I had our business for 20 years. Sent them a link to Ron's slideshow (5 minutes of pictures). They told me to **** off, it was for "people who worked at the facility". What did he do for 20 years?!

I will get over it. But right now I am pretty angry. He gave 20 years to them and they tell me to **** off they can't put up a LINK?! I wasn't asking for money or funeral attendees. It was a link. People could click it or not as they chose. Very disrespectful.

Other than that it has been an uneventful day.

Edit: calmed down. They are just pitiful I am glad I didn't depend on them after Ron's death.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,845 ·
Getting early start to the jawbreaker this morning. The easiest route has a 4 lane bridge that is down to 2 lanes and it's on the highway through town. I have to go to the next town down the road, only 6 miles but might take thirty minutes just to cross the bridge. There are a couple ways around it but will take just as long as going straight through. Got to get a rotten tooth pulled. Wish I could do sedation, I could use a good nap, but got no one to drive me home. Then got to take wife to hair bender after jawbreaker. Tried to get her to reschedule that but I don't think even God could make her reschedule, I don't understand what the big deal is.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,447 Posts
Yeah I likely need a tooth pulled and am really hoping my aunt can help me do it sedation and drive me home. I will be praying for you, I hate going to the dentist.

Got a good night of sleep and arranged a ride to work. The way the bus works I would have to cross a very busy street on foot with no traffic light or even a crosswalk, right during rush hour. I am not really interested in that. The Wednesday 12-4 shift is difficult for me as I catch rush hour on both sides...but it's money in my pocket.

Speaking of I need to go see if I got paid. ACH from Walmart Associates... about $50 more than I thought so I can pay for that ride home today (I don't pay $50! :LOL: )

Off I go to get ready.

Reactions: Stwood

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Working on pepper jelly today.
Also trying to free up this fold-down gooseneck ball on this truck. It's been down for quite a while apparently.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,848 ·
Jawbreaker done, didn't take long. Two geniuses here. I though traffic was going to be bad at that bridge, wasn't, I made all 6 lights through town non-stop and the other 4 between towns. Got there early and dentist was almost an hour late.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Got some good sleep finally this morning. Didn't think my headache was all that bad but I guess the ibuprofen helped me relax and sleep.

Gonna tackle the first level clean of the renters room today. Needs swept out and things moved around. Then all the storage totes put in there. After that I can finally clean the living room properly. Think my birthday present to myself this month might be a new spin mop or the like.

Thinking about re-arranging some in the future. Maybe putting the freezer in the living room instead of the laundry room where it is now. We honestly don't use the living room anymore without the couches in there to sit on, so I'm reworking it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Chaotic today. Had a checkup doc appointment this morning. When I got home wife was rushing out with daughter. Daughter is almost to the end of her Covid isolation days, but started coughing up specs of blood. So I was useless at my desk today worrying. Took a few hours but doc said just an infection in her lungs as a complication. Sent her home with cough meds, antibiotic, and steroid. So not great news, but no where close to as bad as it could be. Wife is frazzled after all the stress. Did curbside dinner because of that and because the oven door fell apart last night. Seems like over time screws have fallen out. Probably most became cat toys before we saw them. I got the right replacements ordered because you know there is no way they can use standard common screws..Was suppissed to clock back into work, but I gave up. Just a waste of time after the stress. I will get to it tomorrow.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Got some cleaning done - not everything I wanted done but needed to put a cat in time out as she was getting too stressed and starting issues. Did finally get all the dishes caught up though, and some laundry done. Just gotta keep chugging on it. As soon as I can get the laundry caught up enough, I'll be taking my dryer apart to investigate why it's taking 2-3 cycles to fully dry.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,852 ·
More yard putzin' this morning and might even mow but probably put that off until tomorrow. Went to Kroger earlier to use some of their mail out coupons. The didn't have everything, didn't Monday either only because the shelves hadn't been stocked. Early morning lady at the self-checkout is very friendly, we almost always gab a few minutes. She helped with the coupon stuff and I commented that I hate going into a place that has people working overnight and the shelves haven't been stocked. Tells me the place isn't ready to do business and/or just doesn't care about it's customers. I've said that to a couple others ladies I talk with and they all seem to agree with that sentiment.

• Sad

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,447 Posts
I was talking to a night shift stocker at work, Wooley. He is making $16 an hour they just got a raise. He was angry front end people are getting a raise (pretty much everyone you see on the sales floor) of $2 an hour, bringing us up to $13.

When I interviewed at a fancy hotel they told me they paid $13 so that seems equitable. Anyway he was very resentful about the other guys getting a raise even though they make less than him "Because I lift boxes".

I told him a little what I did in the vending business for a lot less pay and he gaped at me. Work today one of my longer nights.

Sorry to hear about your daughter, Ron. My husband had flu/pneumonia back in 2000 and was coughing up blood for a week or two as it cleared.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,854 ·
I was talking to a night shift stocker at work, Wooley. He is making $16 an hour they just got a raise. He was angry front end people are getting a raise (pretty much everyone you see on the sales floor) of $2 an hour, bringing us up to $13.

When I interviewed at a fancy hotel they told me they paid $13 so that seems equitable. Anyway he was very resentful about the other guys getting a raise even though they make less than him "Because I lift boxes".

I told him a little what I did in the vending business for a lot less pay and he gaped at me. Work today one of my longer nights.

Sorry to hear about your daughter, Ron. My husband had flu/pneumonia back in 2000 and was coughing up blood for a week or two as it cleared.
Does WM have and unions in the store? Just wondering. When I worked at a Kroger meat dept. I made $10.65/hr. I think. That was the meat cutter's union, separate from the grocery union and slightly higher paid. I got hurt, almost lost a finger, and the store manager thought I should work the front end sacking. That was much more work at that time that the meat dept. and I had to take a cut in pay. I stayed only long enough to get my finger unbandaged and do the PT then left them.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,447 Posts
No unions but I get PAC's sending me ads on my Facebook feed trying to get me to join up and hopefully help them take over Walmart. IMO a union would not benefit. What I saw at the post office there is a lot of favoritism and literal sleeping your way to the top, etc. looking out for your buddies and throwing everyone else under the bus.

I interviewed for a front desk job at a hotel and they said they had a union in a rather resigned voice. I thought that said a lot. I am actually pretty happy with management they work with my schedule.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,856 ·
Worked union most of my life and agree with the favoritism, sleeping and looking out comment. Even happens in non-union places. I was extremely happy when I retired and haven't been back or talked to any of them.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Lots of odds n ends today.
One of the horses is down. Going to have to take care of that today. Wife is upset about it.

·
I Seen A Sighting!
3,152 Posts
Found a memorial page for those who worked at the plant where Ron and I had our business for 20 years. Sent them a link to Ron's slideshow (5 minutes of pictures). They told me to **** off, it was for "people who worked at the facility". What did he do for 20 years?!

I will get over it. But right now I am pretty angry. He gave 20 years to them and they tell me to **** off they can't put up a LINK?! I wasn't asking for money or funeral attendees. It was a link. People could click it or not as they chose. Very disrespectful.

Other than that it has been an uneventful day.

Edit: calmed down. They are just pitiful I am glad I didn't depend on them after Ron's death.
I wanted to comment on this===you are SO right.

I find I get all worked up about something someone says or does, which I am proud to say is less and less frequent these days! But when I do, after I calm down and reflect on what was done or said that made me so mad, I realize how pathetic they were being and how ridiculous my response was.

Then I sometimes, not always but sometimes, feel genuinely sorry for them. I mean, I'm not some psychological expert and I'm not trying to say I'm better than them, but sometimes.... yeah, I think they're just pitiful. But I also berate myself for getting upset with them too. That's just a waste of precious energy.

So today, it's overcast, misting, dark, muggy, clammy, etc. Dogs are bored, they don't even want to go outside. The last two weeks I've been pushing myself to get some things done outside, and I've gotten it all about halfway done. Between the heat and just being tired of working on those particular projects, it's been hard to finish them but I"m almost done.

I'm trying to arrange things and finish projects once and for all. I love my old house but I'm tired of working on it all the time. I've had to realize some things are never going to happen, but the ones I can do will. And I've given myself a deadline to do them, too---by the end of next spring, before hot weather sets in.

I can do it, I'm just going to have to be a bit more diligent than I have been.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Working today... Pretty empty from the stress yesterday. At least I am home so that I work on stuff in relative peace. Trying to put up or bump old ads of stuff I have for sale between projects. Seems like next to nothing is selling locally. Already given up on some smaller stuff and moved it to "Donate". Just hoping to gather a few bucks from some of the stuff as I clean out.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,860 ·
More cruisin' the yard knocking off crabgrass head before they drop seeds then more weed poisoning. Got some old flower beds we no longer care about and they are full of weeds.

2841 - 2860 of 2989 Posts