Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
2821 - 2840 of 2990 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mattresses & other in the house stuff goes to the curb today. Want to get those out before the rain comes - We're probably going to get some rain from Nicholas in the gulf, so I'm prepping for that. Gonna put a wrench in curb shopping though unfortunately - rain tends to ruin stuff.

Decided to save the homemade risers off the couches - they're just 2x4's put together and painted, so no reason those can't be re-used. Probably going to make my screen door out of those at some point this winter.

While it's raining, I get to deep clean the renter's room. It's got to be scrubbed completely floor to ceiling as his vice left residue everywhere. Then I'm setting it up as a guest room for if friends need to crash for a night or two.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
OK is having a cold snap, with temps in the low 90's so for the past couple days.

But leave it to the 4 men in turn, to believe they alone, will be the one to bring it back to life.
:love: :love: :love:

·
I Seen A Sighting!
3,152 Posts
Hey, I've seen bikes in literal boxes be brought back to life, so, it's possible.

And you can order parts to assemble an entire bike thru Ebay now.....

Guess I should put something about my plans for the day. I got up this morning intending to go to church. Let the dogs out early and sat on the porch in the morning cool-ish-ness. Sat there with my covfefe, in my muumuu, trying to wake up while the dogs sniffed and yapped and ate who knows what out of the dirt. Closed my eyes to focus on a far off songbird, trying to identify it, and the next thing I know I'm waking up to the dogs jumping on my lap. Fell asleep in the chair on the porch!

So I came in and just went back to bed. Slept till like 12:30. I don't know why, I didn't feel particularly tired. But I am very, very stiff. Pain level is about normal, but stiffness is bad. Even now, after 2 pm. Oh well, it will pass, one way or another.

Started another canvas, will see how it turns out. It's a small one.

I'm trying to clean up and organize my back porch before rain sets in this week. I have about 8 large potted plants I need to do something with. They get moved and dragged around and I really need to make a dedicated place for them that will show them off to best effect. Problem is, my porch deck is full. Furniture, chairs, a lounge, tables, plants, pots, fru fru, you name it, it's out there.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,449 Posts
Work went fine. Apparently after I left some of my coworkers were playing with my work radio (handheld, not music). I was pretty chapped when I heard about that if they break it I'm the one getting blamed. Ignorant people + radios are a bad combination.

One co worker kept saying "copy" after every few words drove all the managers nuts. Someone schooled her (I wasn't around) and she stopped.

I had over 5 years on a ham radio so I know how to treat my rig and how to speak professionally, one reason they gave me a radio.

Doing laundry. Plan is to run errands tomorrow but we will see what the weather brings.

Reactions: Wooleybooger

·
Registered
807 Posts
Doing some laundry today and last night's dishes. Picked up curbside lunch and we are doing leftovers dinner.

Trying to organize the load of reloading stuff I have sitting around in the basement. Bought it all since Covid started. Just part of the mess. Using empty cat litter buckets to store it so I can stack them in the water heater closet. Moved a bunch of empty boxes to the porch. Didn't want to break them down until I see if I need them to cart off stuff. Really trying to make a dent in this stuff.

Right now giving our 22 year old Leopard Gecko a shed aid soak. She seems pretty listless and not trying to finish her shed. Been a few days since she started. Normal it takes a few hours. She has some on her face she will not let me mess with that is blocking her already bad vision. So I can't feed her until that is off. Her tail is big and fat, so she is not hungry. Honestly she is at the top of the range of captivitiy life span. Our other 2 died years ago. So it just might be time.

Did pool maintenance and checked the garden. Skipped out on mowing. Not much rain and I am trying to be easy on it. It need to seed some places heavy. Too many mossy or bare spots in the shade.

Back to work from home tomorrow. Told my boss I was going to this week since my daughter is still in her 10 day isolation. Hope to clean and sort more as I listen to meetings. My desk is in the basement anyway.

Attachments

·
I Seen A Sighting!
3,152 Posts
We're 'in the cone of uncertainty', so I'm going to go in the morning and get some gas in the gas cans and fill up my car. Might stop at Dollar General and clean out their Halloween candy shelves of the Reeses. They don't have gluten, you know.

Maybe pick up another case of water, I already have four. One more won't hurt, I use a lot of it when it's hot anyway.

Not expecting much high wind, but you never know. I imagine we will get some wind. I took down my wind chimes this afternoon just in case.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,449 Posts
I need to wind proof after I run errands this morning. I am on the last load of laundry.

Metro bus is already sending out alerts they may need to cancel service. I plan to take a ride to work (with a friend) both ways on Wednesday for that very reason. Also Metro runs through all the worst parts of town with no drainage...

But I'm up. I was going to wear one of my cute new things but am now thinking of baggy sweat pants.

·
Registered
I don't know
132 Posts
In about 1/2 an hour I'm heading out to the outside world for an eye appointment 45 miles away. While out I'm going to get a ton of shopping done. I'm thinking I'll be back in by around 1:00 pm and unloaded by 2. From there I start corn shucking. I should be done with that by Thurs, and Fri is when my extended family (mother and four brothers and all of their families) will be here for the 'Family Vacation' weekend. So while corn shucking I'll also be making a ton of apple cider and getting ready for about 60 people to invade the farm. When the rain is done the boys will be harvesting the sunflowers, so it will be nice to have that harvest in for the winter. We're ramping up for the chaos of the harvest season with this week being the last "easy" week before then.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,829 ·
Today is just final make ready for the storm that's coming. Most stuff is done but made a gas run earlier, topped off the car. Just now back from a Kroger run for wife's soda and my beer, don't want to run out of either. The Kroger store may have tried to prepare for the morning run on stuff, the soda and beer was fully stocked but I didn't hit any other aisle. The gas station this morning was odd. Canopy lights off and red bags over the nozzles. WTH. Pumps weren't turned off though I discovered when I started stuffing cards in one. It worked, I got 5 gallons gas to top off. We have enough food and water for several days at least. It started raining off and on around 5 am. Expecting more rain that wind next 3 days, we'll find out if the county's flood mitigation efforts helped. Hope so.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Stay safe down there ya'll.
Canning apples today, and maybe do some hot jelly while we're at it.
We picked up 1/2 bushel of apples when we drove up for peaches a few weeks ago. Apples are not keeping well, so have to get on them now.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Got the in the house stuff out for bulk mostly. Backyard I'll try to tackle between rains this week. They're saying only a few inches for us, so I'm not super worried. Coast is going to get it bad though.

Put in a small order for tonight for random rebate stuff. HEB has some good prepping coupon & rebate deals right now. And kiddo will be happy with the .25 candy bars lol.

·
I Seen A Sighting!
3,152 Posts
Im sitting here half asleep. Its raining, a couple of bands have gone thru. Its going to be a sleepy day. Might mske some no-bake cookies later.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,833 ·
Im sitting here half asleep. Its raining, a couple of bands have gone thru. Its going to be a sleepy day. Might mske some no-bake cookies later.
Same here except for the cookies. Cooked some cheese "tacos" on a griddle a bit ago and can hardly stay awake now.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,449 Posts
Ran my errands. Sweatpants were way too big on me so I put them and the other big clothes in the garage. Cute new thing fit great.

Got the death certificate including one for his family. They have a policy on him and were after me for a death certificate the minute they found out he died. Flood insurance is taking him off the policy and the rate will remain the same.

Ran into a few rain bands but it is quiet now. I am going to go wind proof the backyard.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,449 Posts
El, I have had a HELLACIOUS time trying to take Ron (my late husband) off the voter rolls. They make it nearly impossible the executor has to go downtown with a death certificate. Maybe I should just call, give them his name, say he voted Republican every election, and is now dead. I bet they'd take him off right quick.

Windproofed back yard. Forgot about roll down exterior blinds today so I quickly rolled them up. Had some tools standing up I laid them down so we should be OK. Idiot neighbor still has his pop up awning out back. [rolleyes] Gusts up to 50 mph that should be interesting.

I have a bipolar niece. Her mother was bipolar (actually that one is my niece and the girl I'm talking about is her daughter, I am the great-aunt) and was a very poor mother, allowed the girl to be molested ongoing, a different man every week, moving around a lot, no stability. I know the girl resents her mother for that.

So the girl got pregnant (is in her 20's). She went off her meds because some of them can cause birth defects. Commendable. Had the baby. Did not go back on the medication "I want to nurse the baby". Has had a spectacular crash and burn and is now stripping and putting up pictures of herself in a thong and pasties, on Facebook - not kidding just "This is what I do now". It is awful. And she doesn't realize she is going to do the exact same thing to her daughter that was done to her. It is just awful and I really have nothing to say because you can't reason with a manic person.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,837 ·
Well at 4 am we're having light blowing rain and no flooding here south of Houston. All is good so far. Heard some banging a couple hours earlier but don't know what is was, suspect my idiot neighbor left his trash cans out on the side of his house and they blew over/away. Street lights are out so I can't see much outside.

Reactions: Stwood

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Today Ill be harvesting and hanging the rest of my tobacco and start preparing my grow beds for winter and next season. Also Ill double the size of my permaculture kitchen garden and put in more fruit trees and berry bushes..

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,839 ·
The hurricane was mostly a non-event for my area looks like. The power did go off for about 30 seconds, the rain and wind quit around 5:30 am, went out and don't see anything to make the banging noise I heard. Today may be a good day to pull weeds so I'll do some of that later.

Reactions: Stwood

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,449 Posts
Pretty quiet here. Metro bus is running again.

2821 - 2840 of 2990 Posts