Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
U.S. Naval Sea Cadet
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys i got a question and i'm hoping to get a variety of answers.

I am a 15 y/o boy and besides my age i quit mature and don't necessarily have the same mindset of most boy's my age i carry an EDC system have decent survival skills and am a mild prepper and as far as this question goes ill stop toying around and get right to it i am under age and cannot own/carry a firearm yet and i am looking for a good alternative to a firearm that can do just as much damage and is more practical than things like Slingshots/Wrist Rockets
and handheld crossbows recently i have used a Slingshot and i am accurate within a 5in square but aside from that there are problems with using this option such as reload speed and range and i don't plan on using a weapon unless one is used on me such as a gunman opening fire in a grocery store i carry knives and that's self explanatory (i use them for utility/tools) and all i want is some assurance that if put in the circumstances that i would have a defence item comparable to a firearm in reload speed accuracy and damage

i do not include range as a comparable factor so i hope i can get some help here thanks for those that do

stay safe stay prepared
Tac1ESurvivalist

update- i already know U.S.M.C. hand-to-hand it was thought to my by my uncle - and i am in fantastic shape

·
Grevcon 10
13,772 Posts
Nothing but a firearm is comparable to a firearm for self defense use.

That said, you already carry a knife. I would suggest also carrying pepper spray. In reality, you're not going to come out of a knife fight uninjured, even if you win. Pepper spray gives you both a non-lethal-force option which can be used in less dire circumstances than a lethal weapon in most states, and a second tool to impair your opponent's ability to fight. A knife/hand to hand fight is one thing, but a knife/hand to hand fight while you're suffering from pepper spray puts you at an extreme disadvantage.

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
Please don't get upset. I'm a teacher, I have to say this...

Use a few periods. Use capital letters, sentences, and maybe a hard return once in a while. It will be easier to understand you.

Ok. I feel better.

Now, to your question. Pepper spray, maybe a taser, and a phone, but most of all, join the track team. Get in shape, develop some speed and stamina.

Spray them and run, son. As you run, call the cops. Don't hang around and fight, especially not with a knife. Chances are, if you win, it will be he said/he said, and the other guy might make you out as the attacker.

Just get away.:thumb:

·
Registered
12,803 Posts
It's trouble enough to be involved in a fight, don't be caught with weapons .
I agree , get involved in sports and even martial arts.
NEVER show off nor use a stance to detour a confrontation. Much like brandishing a weapon it only makes you look more scared and less prepared.
Ideally don't allow your self to be cornered .
Avoid people you know are trouble, you know where that hang out , don't be there.
Be too busy with commitments and responsibilities ,to condescend to childish behaviors.
A good relationship with team mates ,can often have some one covering your 6.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
The OP's a 15 year old boy. Some of the suggestions, to me, seem borderline illegal.. But it should be fairly easy to figure out what the laws state about a youth having pepper spray, or a taser ; most places that sell them either keep them behind the counter where the guns are kept, or ask for an ID when someone attempts to purchase the items.
Of course, you could do research for the state of the OP to find out if it's legal for a youth to carry a taser [which fires projectiles], stun gun, or pepper spray [considered an obnoxious chemical in this state. ].. In this state, I am fairly sure that every one of the items listed here is illegal for a 15 year old.. The other considerations would be is it illegal for a 15 year old to carry it on to someplace like school property. I am pretty sure that an 18 year old can purchase and carry a stun-gun, pepper spray; haven't seen a taser here so far..

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
From my experience many state laws are more restrictive towards non-firearm weapons, especially edged. I think one of the first steps is understanding your local laws. If you do go in the direction of edged weapons I'd suggest considering ones that have an outdoors or fishing/hunting look as opposed to tactical or zombie killer themed.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
any weapon is a problem for a 15 year old. the world is full of people who believe that the limits of their experience are the limits of human experience, and if something never happened to them it never happened to anyone. therefore you can't possibly need a weapon, because they never needed one.

Philosophy of self defense. you need to understand this well enough to teach it to whatever authority you find yourself explaining your actions to.

• self defense rule 0, before self defense rule 1: the guy who makes the first effective move wins, if he follows it up with more effective moves. an effective move is a move which disables the assailant, makes the assailant aware of the stupidity of his plan, or renders the assailant incapable of fighting back long enough to let the defender make a second effective move. An effective move is inherently an offensive move.
  • self defense rule 1: set yourself up for the second time you have to defend yourself; when you have to justify your actions to the authorities.
  • Consider: cops deal with scumbags all day every day. 99% of the people they put handcuffs on behave exactly the same way: : "I kicked the monkeyfloggers ass. I whupped up on that monkeyflogger good"
  • don't talk like a scumbag when you are asked "what happened". talk like a cop filing a report:
  • "The assailant was acting irrationally. he somehow developed the insane notion that I am having an affair with his mother and that I am his father. he assaulted me based on this belief. he used ineffective moves, I used effective moves"
  • self defense rule 2: Defensive moves are moves that block incoming offensive moves. Defensive moves inherently require more energy than incoming offensive moves, to prevent the incoming move from hurting the defender. ergo, defensive moves burn energy at a greater rate than offensive moves but do not deter the assailant from further aggression. Defensive moves are inherently not effective moves, but burn more energy than effective offensive moves.
  • Therefore, self defense rule 3: all effective moves are offensive moves. since the guy who makes the first effective move wins, if he follows it up with more effective moves, the defender must make more effective, offensive moves to successfully defend himself.
  • self defense rule 4: you can't know what your assailant is capable of doing to you until it has been done. ergo, you must do everything you can do to your assailant, so he does not get the chance to do something irreversible to you. therefore you must give him all you got. as we said in the 60's, "Do unto others before they do unto you".
It is my belief that a judge is far more likely to understand that philosophy than a school principal.

·
Tin Can Sailor
3,242 Posts
It really sucks having wasp nests around, but wasp spary is pretty effective. Just make sure you don't accidentally spray yourself or anyone else. And wasp spray is legal everywhere I'm aware of.

And most states have knife laws that are just as restrictive, if not more so, than their guns laws. They are just not enforced as consistanatly - usually LEO's discretion.

·
Grevcon 10
13,772 Posts
From my experience many state laws are more restrictive towards non-firearm weapons, especially edged. I think one of the first steps is understanding your local laws. If you do go in the direction of edged weapons I'd suggest considering ones that have an outdoors or fishing/hunting look as opposed to tactical or zombie killer themed.
Indeed. Many states have length limits on knives under which it's not legally considered possession of a weapon. Some states limit non-firearm weapons for minors. For any self defense strategy, the first stop is always the state legal books.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I don't know the specifics of CCW law and age, but can yiou carry a Black Powder pistol? I know BP usually doesn't require FFL permits and checks. Other option would be Air powered pellet gun? they can be almost as lethal as a .22

Again, don't know for sure if they are legal for <18 or not, jsut a thought that popped into my head...

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
Please don't get upset. I'm a teacher, I have to say this...

Use a few periods. Use capital letters, sentences, and maybe a hard return once in a while. It will be easier to understand you.

Ok. I feel better.
So, you're one of those knock them down, pick them up types huh? He's 15, give him a break.

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
I'm voting pepper spray. It's easy to find and you can afford it. Most of the other effective weapons you can't have or will just cause you grief. Sometimes it's best to run away and fight another day...

·
Time to melt snowflakes!
30,160 Posts
I'm voting pepper spray. It's easy to find and you can afford it. Most of the other effective weapons you can't have or will just cause you grief. Sometimes it's best to run away and fight another day...
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10953--,00.html

Not more than 35 grams of any combination of orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile and inert ingredients (CS gas); or

A solution containing not more than 10% oleoresin capsicum (pepper spray) and is used in the protection of your person or property which would justify the use of physical force. It cannot be sold to a minor.
Michigan and the OP is a minor.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Check and know your state laws. Get someone who truly knows what they mean, not most Police Officers, to explain them to you. Do Nothing that will prevent you from owning firearms in your adult life.

Jungle Work

·
MAGA
5,951 Posts
It really sucks having wasp nests around, but wasp spary is pretty effective. Just make sure you don't accidentally spray yourself or anyone else. And wasp spray is legal everywhere I'm aware of.
Wasp spray used in any manner inconsistent with its labeling is a violation of federal law. Look at directions for use on the labels of most products you buy the warning is there.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Check and know your state laws. Get someone who truly knows what they mean, not most Police Officers, to explain them to you. Do Nothing that will prevent you from owning firearms in your adult life.

Jungle Work
Very good point.
Class mate of my daughters got caught on school grounds with a paint ball gun in the trunk of his car. The way the laws are written in PA he got charged (don't know the details of exactly what). He joined the army and after a tour got out. On returning home he found he was on the no purchase list for firearms in PA. And he was an armorer while in the military!

·
Sheepdog
1,724 Posts
Your best and most effective weapon is the one between your shoulders, use common sense, good judgement, don't be where you shouldn't be, and have good situational awareness, those things alone will keep most people out of harms way, young or old.

Next I would say train your body to become a weapon, take up some martial arts, doesn't matter really, just something to harden and discipline yourself. Krav Maga is effective and quite simple to learn, BJJ is another personal favorite of mine.

I read a post where someone said join the track team, this is a good option also stamina and speed is definately useful in a confrontation.

And yes, have friends to watch your six. Good luck.

·
Somewhere on a ranch...
1,944 Posts
Learn to use your hands. Take martial arts or a self defense class or two. Not much you can carry at that age that won't look bad if you have to use itm

1 - 20 of 34 Posts