Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Pull up your Dora panties
7,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a friends ak tached out, and test fired it. It came with a clear 30 round mag that had no name. He purchased a package of 20 round "pro mag" black plastic ones. The promags suck. They jammed every time. The rounds would end up pointing down and when the action forced the round forward, it would jam bullet nose first into the magazine. It happened every time. The clear mag was great, it worked like a charm.

My question to ya'all is this. Which mags do you use, or what do you recommend? Also where are the best places, or on line deals going to be had for your recommended mags.
Thanx vincent

·
Survivor, so far
46,100 Posts
Metal AK magazines, (foreign made), are cheap and reliable.
Aim Surplus, Copes, CDNN all have good prices and usually
a large supply. My favorites are Norinco for both 5.56 and
7.62. I also like the Hungarian 20 rounders. I have heard
that the Bulgarian polymer ones are good.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Buy Communist made magazines. Communist steel mags (Bulgarian, East German, Romanian, Hungarian, etc) work the best followed by Communist polymer mags made either in Bulgaria or Poland.

There are Russian Poly (bakelite) mags out there but they are usually really expensive.

Aim has some Bulgarian Steel Mags for sale right now:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK47Bulg&groupid=15
$8.95 each or 10+ @ $7.95 each. Buy 10!

They also have Hungarian 20rd mags -- great for shooting from a bench:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK47H20&groupid=15

There are also Yugoslavian steel magazines out there that have a last shot bolt hold open follower. I would recomend you try 1 before stocking up on them. The one I have doesn't fit in any of my 6 AK's.

Lastly, dissemble all communist magazines and run a rag through them. They usually have old cosmoline in them.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,585 Posts
Any of the original cheap steel mags are what I'd recommend. They're reliable and tough. I've also had good reliability with the Bulgarians waffle mags, but I've heard reports of cracking and delaminating, so I wouldn't want to trust my life to them. If you have US parts count issues, the Tapco mags count as 3 US parts. Generally their mags are pretty good, but I have heard a few negatives about their AK mags, so I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Cheap Eastern European steal magazines. These run about 12.00 each through Copes, JGSales, CDNN, AIM and are very reliable magazines.

Stay away from 99% of all plastic magazines. They have plastic locking tabs that break rendering the magazine useless. The only plastic magazines worth buying is the Bulgy 30rd circle 10 mags or the new U.S. made Palm magazines. These have metal inserts for locking the magazine into place.

Info on cheaper S. Korean magazines:

http://semiautorifles.com/forums/f12/south-korean-ak-47-magazines-pics-804.html

AK drum info:

http://semiautorifles.com/forums/f12/ak-47-74-drums-magazines-769.html

·
Pull up your Dora panties
7,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so thats the way to go. Seems to be everyone is in agreement. I was hoping for a composite to win , but metal it is.
Thanx again

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Look, do not purchase any kind of plastic AK mag (assuming you're shooting 7.62).

Tapco mags will work, but they strip out quite easily.
Pro-Mags are just crap--period!

Just go with the do-dah metal surplus military mags.
They are cheap and will work forever.

If you do want a good plastic AK mag--USpalms is the only one that makes a good AK mag... however they are expensive.

ST

·
Registered
673 Posts
Ok so thats the way to go. Seems to be everyone is in agreement. I was hoping for a composite to win , but metal it is.
Thanx again
Bulgarian composite 30rd Circle 10 magazines are produced by a military contractor using metal inserts. These are about the only composite AK47 magazines I would use. Stay away form the Bulgy composites with Bullet like markings on the magazine...these are produced for commercial use (no metal inserts).

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?products_id=304

Here is another option for an AK composite magazines:

http://www.semiautorifles.com/forums/f12/new-polymer-ak47-magazines-w-steel-inserts-1701.html

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Any of the original cheap steel mags are what I'd recommend. They're reliable and tough. I've also had good reliability with the Bulgarians waffle mags, but I've heard reports of cracking and delaminating, so I wouldn't want to trust my life to them. If you have US parts count issues, the Tapco mags count as 3 US parts. Generally their mags are pretty good, but I have heard a few negatives about their AK mags, so I don't know for sure.
Hey Mike, I've long been a big fan of the Bulgy circle 10's and have a few. Can you elaborate any on the "reports of cracking and delaminating"? :)

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,585 Posts
Hey Mike, I've long been a big fan of the Bulgy circle 10's and have a few. Can you elaborate any on the "reports of cracking and delaminating"? :)
I've never had it happen to me so I don't have any particulars. But gun show scuttlebutt (I do gun shows for a living) has it that there have been issues with them cracking at the seams, at the lips, and the plastic "splitting". I don't know what they mean by splitting, but the word "delaminating" has come up several times, so maybe they mean it splits into layers or something.

In short, I don't have any hard data, but I'm always looking into it. I'll post anything I run into. I have a regular customer who has had a couple of those mags fail. Next time I see him (he comes to the house regularly to buy) I'll ask for more details and maybe some pics.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any surplus mag will work, the steel ones are nearly indestructible. If you want something lighter the ONLY poly mag you should be looking for are Bulgarian Circle 10 waffle mags. Stay away from tapco/promag. Those Bulgy mags that AIM has now are good, they are not surplus mags and have a poly follower, great mags for a great price.

·
Eh kay vs eh are dood!
3,304 Posts
The only mags I trust are steel mags. As long as they are military surplus they are going to work. I've got some tapco mags laying around. They work fine, but I'm not going to trust my life to a plastic mag. One of the feed lips on a tapco mag cracked during what I would call normal use. I did super glue it and it works fine but I'm not trusting my life with it.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I've used the Bulgarian 30 round polymer Circle 10 mags for years. The only thing I've found that is better is the Bulgarian 40 round polymer Circle 10 mags!:D:

Although I do have supply of metal commie surplus mags and they work great too.

·
The pale horse cometh
101 Posts
I order mine from apex gun parts. 12.99 bulgy mags, and they look new, packed in oil bags and not a mark on them

1 - 20 of 24 Posts