Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
PreparationInBubbaNation
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my lil Ms. Bubette pointed out sumfin

All these nice folks that are doina great job prepping, they got all their buckets and such in their basement, MOSTLY GOT MORTGAGES. :eek:

Now if you don't, bless you, but most do

In the last Great Depression, people lost their homes by the hundreds of thousands, come to think of it so did people last year. Anyhoo, what do you do with all them preps if you are evicted. How do you prep for not having a job? Anybody have a backup plan as to where to move? :confused:

Anyone taking in boarders yet?

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
The banks are sitting on a TON of empty houses now, empty houses that are being raped by looters for the copper in the AC units, porcelain fixtures, lighting, appliances, etc., while the weeds grow 3 foot tall and homeless people break in and squat. The LAST thing they want is more of them.

That being said, the collapse that is coming will leave the 'note holders' with nobody to go out and evict people.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts

All these nice folks that are doina great job prepping, they got all their buckets and such in their basement, MOSTLY GOT MORTGAGES. :eek:

In the last Great Depression, people lost their homes by the hundreds of thousands, come to think of it so did people last year. Anyhoo, what do you do with all them preps if you are evicted. How do you prep for not having a job? Anybody have a backup plan as to where to move? :confused:

A good reason to have a reverse mortgage? :xeye:

·
PreparationInBubbaNation
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i see your in Phoenix

the local Shire Reeve Dept here (historical for sherriff); has instructed its unit that serves evictions to not disturb minorities in vertain acommunities to prevent civil disorder. They are preferentially evicting from better neighborhods that can be resold faster.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Exactly why I am selling! My mortgage is well less than half the CURRENT value but I don't want ANY debt.

We would rather live in TN and join the like-minded while being debt free than live in a commie controlled state that is dying.

If anyone needs a 3700 square foot five bedroom 3 1/2 bath rural Maine home with 20 rooms and wicked awesome kitchen etc. please send PM.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
Exactly why I am selling! My mortgage is well less than half the CURRENT value but I don't want ANY debt.

We would rather live in TN and join the like-minded while being debt free than live in a commie controlled state that is dying.

If anyone needs a 3700 square foot five bedroom 3 1/2 bath rural Maine home with 20 rooms and wicked awesome kitchen etc. please send PM.
I've got $3.25 from selling aluminum cans that's burning a hole in my pocket.

·
Grouchy Infidel
1,559 Posts
I don't want to sound harsh but here is the reality as I see it.

Prepping wasn't and isn't just beans, bullets, and band aids. It is also considering the fact you bring up, it was getting out of debt before this came around. This doesn't do much for those who did not get out of debt just like those that do not have beans, bullets, and band aids.

Real "prepping" is nothing more than frugal living. Period.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
I don't want to sound harsh but here is the reality as I see it.

Prepping wasn't and isn't just beans, bullets, and band aids. It is also considering the fact you bring up, it was getting out of debt before this came around. This doesn't do much for those who did not get out of debt just like those that do not have beans, bullets, and band aids.

Real "prepping" is nothing more than frugal living. Period.
To me there is a difference. I've known a lot of people who lived frugally but would have been in dire straights if they were snowed in or if stores were out of food for an extended period or if water quit coming out of the tap.

"Living frugally" is about not blowing your money on useless junk.

"Prepping" is having enough useful possessions to tide you over in case an emergency disrupts normal life.

I can live frugally and have a pile of leftover US dollars...which wouldn't do me any good when the zombies arrive in force.

·
Grouchy Infidel
1,559 Posts
Living frugal to me is having what I need when I need it and not needing to go buy it when every one else wants it.

If you apply that to foreseeable scenarios I find that it covered everything from a new manual well pump last summer, to larger propane tanks, to 4 additional cords of wood over the 4 it takes to get through a winter, to additional ammo bought when it was low to a grain mill and so on.

I hear ya Bowman and I see your perspective.

I just see living frugal as a life style choice that includes being prepared in all facets from financial to firearms.

·
PreparationInBubbaNation
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Living frugal to me is having what I need when I need it and not needing to go buy it when every one else wants it.

I hear ya Bowman and I see your perspective.

I just see living frugal as a life style choice that includes being prepared in all facets from financial to firearms.
I see ya Bowman and hear you baiting everybody

SmokinOnion: 'financial firearms'; that's what we need

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have been living frugal most of my life and still have little to show for it. I have been wondering the same thing for a while. Best I can figure is loading up what I can in my van and trailer and maybe find a cheap piece of land I can buy for a couple of grand.

·
Beware of the dog!
1,941 Posts

Just because someone has a mortgage does not mean they can't make their payments. Despite what you hear on the idiot box most people are still working and many people did not sell an affordable house just to buy a giant house they could not afford. The reason you hear all the bad housing gloom on the news is because it doesn't interest the doom and gloom folk to hear about hard working parents who are able to provide for their families and still make their house and car payments.

Despite peer pressure from friends (and our now bankrupt realtor) we refused to sell our modest home through 4 or 5 years of the Las Vegas housing boom just to buy a larger one that would "make us a fortune" as the property values continued to climb. Now, I still own my modest home, I am making payments with no problem, I owe a relatively small amount on whats left of my 10 year mortgage and I have a great deal of equity in a house that is still worth over twice what I paid for it new.

Not everyone bought more than they could afford. But even if they lost their house, they would still need to eat and having preps would still be an important part of their daily lives.

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
Just because someone has a mortgage does not mean they can't make their payments. Despite what you hear on the idiot box most people are still working and many people did not sell an affordable house just to buy a giant house they could not afford. The reason you hear all the bad housing gloom on the news is because it doesn't interest the doom and gloom folk to hear about hard working parents who are able to provide for their families and still make their house and car payments.

Despite peer pressure from friends (and our now bankrupt realtor) we refused to sell our modest home through 4 or 5 years of the Las Vegas housing boom just to buy a larger one that would "make us a fortune" as the property values continued to climb. Now, I still own my modest home, I am making payments with no problem, I owe a relatively small amount on whats left of my 10 year mortgage and I have a great deal of equity in a house that is still worth over twice what I paid for it new.

Not everyone bought more than they could afford. But even if they lost their house, they would still need to eat and having preps would still be an important part of their daily lives.
Kudos to you!

*BUT*...again...this will all be moot when the dollar collapses.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Mine isn't the morgage as I don't have one but taxes. I have a job so I can pay my property taxes. If I don't pay my property taxes for three years the county will take my house and land away from me. Every time I turn around they add a new fee I need to pay. I put in an outdoor woodburning boiler. Now I have to pay $65.00 a year for a permit to have it. WTF!?! I don't use petroleum products to heat my house so I need to be fined? If I have a indoor woodburning furnace I don't have to have a permit, but an for outdoor furnace I need to have one. I live way back in the boonies with no neighbors but what the county is worried about is if the smoke from my wood burning furnace is bothering my nieghbors. I need to pay for them to come out and make certain it isn't bothering the people who don't live near me.:eek:

I do have almost 88 thousand set aside so I can buy my closest nieghbor's land (he runs a Christmas tree farm) when he decided to sell. If I lost my job I would use that to pay the taxes until I got a new job. Still, I want to save that money so I don't need to get a morgage, or much of one, when the time comes to buy that land.

In this modern world there is always something that a person needs money for, even if they are totally self sufficient. I have to pay taxes for those who aren't so I need to have a job to make money for those who don't. I have had people tell me that woods folks who know what they're doing don't need money. I hope they show me how they're doing it, because from what I've seen, that is a pipe dream.

In the depression that is coming (my SHTF senerio that I mainly plan for), I will still have to pay my property taxes, maybe even more than I do now. I will still need money. That is just reality. I can live from what is around me, but I will always need to pay for those who don't. I can't see it changing, so money is important to me just so I can stay out here where I don't need it (so I guess I do need it). Living is easy, paying for others to do it is the hard part for me.

Boy, I am in a grumpy mood today. I'm done with this rant.:rolleyes: I'm stuck in the office today because the first lady (of the state-governor's wife) is coming for a visit and they want us to look good for her. I would think that would mean they wouldn't want me around, but what do I know.:D: As soon as she's gone I'll be back in the field and then I'll be in a much better mood.

Everyone needs money, if you can show me how I wouldn't need it, please tell me. I've always wanted to know.

squirrel

·
PreparationInBubbaNation
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm serious here

No real biggy. Worst case scenario. I will live in a tent if I have to.
There are tent cities srpinging up now, specially in Kalifornica, where housing was ridiculous anyway.

Well, your tent will not have much out of the weather storage room in it. Do you know what the min # of 5 gal. buckets is for a year of food? It's like 15 buckets, for one person, my tribe has 5. I guess you will sleep outside.

I've got some stores prepositioned off the premises. This was originally for weather related damage or quakes in case they rendered our residence uninhabitable. I didn't contemplate their usefulness under foreclosure, but i do now. We may take in a boarder, if i can find one i feel safe with.

It actually won't make the payment on the house but wold on a car, if we can pay that off, we won't be homeless and carless at the same time.
I'm down to three part time gigs now

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Well I guess I could rent a storage barn and live in it. Might turn out to be the new condos for the 2000's

·
Registered
478 Posts
There are tent cities srpinging up now, specially in Kalifornica, where housing was ridiculous anyway.

Well, your tent will not have much out of the weather storage room in it. Do you know what the min # of 5 gal. buckets is for a year of food? It's like 15 buckets, for one person, my tribe has 5. I guess you will sleep outside.Worst case I would be on my 5 acres of land. Living in my tent and keeping the food locked up in a 300 dollar shed.

I've got some stores prepositioned off the premises. This was originally for weather related damage or quakes in case they rendered our residence uninhabitable. I didn't contemplate their usefulness under foreclosure, but i do now. We may take in a boarder, if i can find one i feel safe with.I hear ya man. In all seriousness I would look approach people in Alcoholics Annoymous. Be careful here. I would look for somebody with long term sobriety who needs a place to stay. Those peole do not drink or drug. I am biased here as I am a member of AA.

It actually won't make the payment on the house but wold on a car, if we can pay that off, we won't be homeless and carless at the same time.
I'm down to three part time gigs now
Makes sense to me. I would do the same thing.

·
Registered
589 Posts
This brings back a nightmare I had when gasoline cost $4/gal. In my dream, there was a Middle East conflict and the price rose to $20/gal. In that situation all of my income would go towards paying for gasoline to get to my job, but I wouldn’t have any money left over for anything else. As I walked around my property in my dream, I realized whatever I had at that current moment was all I would ever have for a very long time. Especially since the rise in fuel costs placed most consumer goods out of the hands of the regular person. Public utility prices rose high as well. I woke up, happy that gasoline was still $4/gal, but it left me with a bitter taste in my mouth ever since.

As much as we buy and store items, we still require currency to live in modern society. Most of us have to pay mortgages, rent, property taxes, and utilities. True, you can go “hard core” and cut the utilities to your home to save money, but this option is not without its consequences. Those living in urban areas will have a far more difficult time than those in rural areas, which can provide more capabilities for long term living without utilities. It is always sound to have at least 6 months worth of currency stored to handle only your true expenses.

I am blessed and partially immune to this. My grandfather, having been raised through the Great Depression, invested in real estate when he became of age. One piece of land he bought that I live on has had its mortgage paid off for over 30 years, so I am only concerned with property taxes and utilities. Living in the country on 2.5 acres of land, I could cut off the utilities if I have to and resort to wood heat (still need to get a wood stove) and carrying water up from the river by hand. Yeah, it would not be ideal, but it is possible to live that way. Property taxes are what would affect me the most if I do not have an income, but I have about a year’s worth of money saved up just for that.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts