Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Getting there....
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did a field strip and re-familiarized myself with the AK controls. I've not owned an AK since 1999-2000 when I had a Norinco NHM-91. So far, I like the folding Tapco stock as it's longer than the factory wooden stock. The issue I've had with many Kalashnikov models is the stock is relatively short to my 6'2" frame. The WASR doesn't seem to have been shot that much. It's funny: I traded the guy I bought it from an old Mauser a few weeks ago for a new Marlin Model 60 with a Japanese made Tasco scope. He'd put the WASR on Armslist and said he was glad it was me because he was worried a bunch of gang-bangers would show to buy it. I'm definitely putting it through the paces this weekend as a new indoor rifle range just opened up the road from me.

As far as the WASR detractors, I understand that the rifle's not inherently accurate. That's why it was sold to me because the seller was saving coin for a Ruger Gunsite. The situation is this: I'm an urbanite for another 6 weeks at least. The Kalashnikov system has proven itself in all weather conditions, under all circumstances, and for indefinite durations. With the folding stock, ready availability of cheap magazines and ammunition, decent intermediate range ballistics, and a 64 year track record of inscrutable reliability, an AK system makes sense for me. If I can hit a paper plate at 150m, I'm fine with it . I'm not expecting MOA performance out of an AK clone chambered in the M43 round. Now, in all fairness to my former NHM-91, I COULD get MOA out of it using the bipod, prone position, and using Federal American Eagle ammunition. I'm looking forward to it because the WASR series seems a reliable and sturdy little carbine.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Nice Find! The nice thing about an AK is you don`t even need to know how to shoot it just pull it out of its hiding spot and point it in the general direction of the bad guy and he is gone. No need to shoot. Yep its that intimidating :) Now go have fun with it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.