Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered it off of Amazon, just got here today. I have to say that all the reviews on this generator are absolutely spot on - a fantastic piece of equipment.

Ran it for just a little while because I didn't have a lot of gas on hand. Just to see if I could make it hiccup I put an electric space heater on it, flipped the switch and not even a dent in the rpm's was heard.

Price to performance - probably the best you can get in this price range. Btw, one thing I didn't know but is published on the gas cap, this generator is built to run 10% ethanol gas. Not that you would want to, but if you had to it's nice to know you could.

I'm going to break it in this weekend once my transfer panel is installed. I'll post updates on anything noticed as I get 20 hours on it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice unit. Have fun. How was it shipped?
It came from a freight company. They actually called me yesterday to confirm, and when it came today on the back of a semi, I helped the guy unload it off onto a two wheel dolly and he wheeled it up to the house for me.

The negative feedback people left on Amazon on this generator was because of shipping damage. However I didn't find any and I went over the box pretty good before signing for it.

Very pleased with it.

·
Station 44 - Ladder 751
400 Posts
That's funny you mention it, because I actually just went and picked up a 7,000 Westinghouse from a priest with only 4 hours on it for $550!!!!!!!!!! :eek::thumb::upsidedown:

I am one that researches very, very extensively before I make a bigger purchase such as a generator. Westinghouse isn't a big name like honda, generac etc It's flown below the radar. But it has been in the top 5 all around generators the past couple years. A couple expert reviews in the Pro's/Con's part even said that " this will probably be the last time I don't find something wrong with a product." I didn't believe it until I went and looked at the nice blue colored Westinghouse genny! It is probably the smallest for it's big Wattage class, extremely solid, very well built and sturdy, and is SOOOOOOO quiet!! I could not believe how quiet it was, I had a conversation talking in normal tone with the guy right next to it. Besides a Honda, (just as the reviews said) it's the quietest at 71DB. This is a 7000W (in your case 7,500W, this year they upgraded the same one I got to 500 more watts) that is more quiet than a 3,4,5000 W?!? Incredible!!

I would most definitely recommend a Westinghouse to ANYONE! If you're looking for a generator, go look at the reviews for yourself! Just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's not a good product! I am no way affiliated with them obviously! Just a happy camper! :thumb:

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Where was it manufactured? I looked at the Westinghouse corp WEB site and was surprised they have only been in the small generator business since 2011.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
According to some reviewers on Amazon, they are made in China. That was one big hump I had to overcome in my research for a generator. Generac is made in my home state of WI, but reviews are really hit-or-miss on them. Westinghouse has had phenomenal reviews all over the web. And some of the few that said they had issues with them said support is US based and very good.

So either buy local and take a chance - or buy proven from China and take a lot less of a chance. I went the route that will hopefully give me less downtime.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update. Thankfully we haven't had any power issues where I've needed to use it. However I have been using the transfer switch and the generator once a month now to run the house. I've only had a chance to put 3.5 hours on it in the last couple of months but it has ran like a champ.

Runs all 10 circuits I have hooked up without a hiccup. I've tried to get it to really take a hit by asking for lots of juice, including from my 1/2hp well pump, and it has no issues.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I know some people don't like resurrected Threads, but since it's exactly what I'm looking for thought I'd jump on this rather than start a new one.

Anyone have any updates regarding this unit? I'm about to move on a portable generator and am leaning towards this Westinghouse 7500E. Really good reviews and a decent price.

I want a diesel powered one, but am not seeing a decent one for under $3000. I've been watching for used ones too. Not interested in propane. So I think I will need gas.

Saw a gas powered Gravely with a Honda engine for a really good price. It's also 7500 and no idle down though.

I'd love some feedback on Westinghouse!

·
HidingInPlainSight 3%
717 Posts
Ordered it off of Amazon, just got here today. I have to say that all the reviews on this generator are absolutely spot on - a fantastic piece of equipment.

Ran it for just a little while because I didn't have a lot of gas on hand. Just to see if I could make it hiccup I put an electric space heater on it, flipped the switch and not even a dent in the rpm's was heard.

Price to performance - probably the best you can get in this price range. Btw, one thing I didn't know but is published on the gas cap, this generator is built to run 10% ethanol gas. Not that you would want to, but if you had to it's nice to know you could.

I'm going to break it in this weekend once my transfer panel is installed. I'll post updates on anything noticed as I get 20 hours on it.
Is this what you purchased?? GREAT! Use sta-bil in the gas and keep the metal tank FULL to the rim when you cut it off!! Prevents any rust!!!!!

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Westinghouse-WH7500E-Portable-Generator/p15792.html

Follow the breaking procedures! ,,then run it about every six weeks for about 5-6 hrs. under a load...Frig, and a couple lamps. Hit the microwave for about 30 seconds too.. you will see what "sucking power" means...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts