Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there!

im a newbie to this site and i consider myself to be an intermediate survivalist. the main aspect of bushcraft which i believe is key to my skill advancement is knowledge of the plants and trees that make up the forest in my area. ive read several of your posts and i too am struggling to find anything that is not for the boreal forests of central and eastern north america. if there are any of you out there who happen to have a lead as to where i can find knowledge of the west coast plantlife, i would appreciate if you woould help a fellow survivalist out as if we happened to bump into each other in the forest and shared our knowlede by the fire and over a cup of hot coffee.
i look forward to any help from you, my colleagues!

·
Feed Yourself
73 Posts
Hey - this thread interests me as I am currently sourcing just such a book. Focus is on N.A. west coast edible plants. I will post any usefull links I have found, but the main consideration seems to be a geographic-centric field manual or book. Ie: if you live in BC, Canada, search for an Edible Plant guide for BC...

·
Registered
269 Posts
"Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast" by Pojar and Mackinnon.
Book is excellant. Even discusses other uses of the plant and history. Covers Wash, Ore, BC and Alaska.
"Wild edible Plants of Western Noth America" by Donald R. Kirk.
Between the two you will have a good starting point.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'm going to start a video series with a master herbalist, a professional forager, and a guide where we start at the beach and stop on the mountaintop, here in Vancouver (BC). Well that's the plan. But there will be group walks.

For books I've got some recommendations:
A Handbook of Native American Herbs by Hutchens
Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide by Elias & Dykeman
Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West by Tilford
Food Plants of Coastal First Peoples by Nancy Turner (anything by her actually)

Discovering Wild Plants: Alaska, Western Canada, The Northwest by Janice Shofield is utterly a must have.

Reactions: HarvestR
1 - 7 of 7 Posts