Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the main boards there are loads of different links and threads helping people find cheap food and the best deals, however most of these are in the USA, and i though it would be useful to start a thread just for this part of the world.

for example:
somerfield value long grain rice (1kg bag) = 77p
somerfield value kidney beans 14p
somerfield value table water (2L) 14p

if people post good prices, and were they found them: mine were:
somerfield, holsworthy, Devon, South west england

then this will hopefuly save us all money

and if anyone knows how much there chrging for rice at Lidl, that would be a great help

·
Registered
59 Posts
Last week Lidl were selling long grain rice for 73p for a 1kg bag.

Sugar has got expensive but I buy it from the 99p Store for 74p. Also cans of condensed soup are 3 for 99p at the same place.

Tesco Value dried milk has now gone down to £1.48 a box (makes 9 pints) making a pint of milk 16p! I've halved the cost of our milk and am storing it too although it comes in a packet inside a box so will only probably last a year or so.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last week Lidl were selling long grain rice for 73p for a 1kg bag.

Sugar has got expensive but I buy it from the 99p Store for 74p. Also cans of condensed soup are 3 for 99p at the same place.

Tesco Value dried milk has now gone down to £1.48 a box (makes 9 pints) making a pint of milk 16p! I've halved the cost of our milk and am storing it too although it comes in a packet inside a box so will only probably last a year or so.
thank you, did you notice if lidl sold any larger bags?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't think that Aldi or Lidl sell large bags of rice, I have noticed 6kg bags in Asda though.I bought one of the large 22kg bags of rice from a local African store here in Ireland.

·
Non semper erit aestas.
3,918 Posts
I used to ask my local health food store to order big bags of things for me. I don't know if they would still do it, but a big bag of dried milk powder was cheaper there than the supermarket ones.

This is from about 10 years ago though, but it may be worth asking.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was in Lidl this morning, they only sell 1kg bags. Tesco world foods aisle have 5kg and 10kg bags of rice, 10kg is £9.50.

Mac, how are you storing the rice?

·
Preparing...
1,302 Posts
Sainsbury's has 1kg long grain rice fo 73p.
2lt water was 13p if i remember correctly too.
but kidney beans are more thn 14p.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not exactly sure of the prices but ASDA is selling 20kg bags of basmati rice from about £18.50 to £24.50 depending on the make

·
Registered
103 Posts
I went to Aldi for the first time in several years last week, haven't the prices changed, i rememeber baked beans at 9p a tin lol, and they are selling more (non) food items, and cloths too, I shouldn't complain realy, two of my Daughters work for Aldi and get staff discount hehehe:D::D::thumb::thumb:

·
Non semper erit aestas.
3,918 Posts
Don't forget the local 1 £ shop. Today I got a package of biscuits from Spain which have a bb or use by date of over a year from now. Not for storage, but for eating now! This is a big packet too. I think getting a few of them for storage would be a good idea.

I also got another packet of baking powder. They come in 10 sachets of 15 ml (that's 3 teaspoons, or one tablespoon) for 75 p, but when I went to the till the man said I could have 2 packets for a pound, so I took him up on it. I figure the individual sachets will help keep the b. powder good for a while. The exp date is sometime in spring 2010.

·
Non semper erit aestas.
3,918 Posts
I went to my local independent health food store today to ask about ordering larger quantities of milk powder and honey.

I've now ordered 3 kgs (actually looking at an ancient bucket I had it will likely be 3.17 kg) of Mexican honey for £7.90. I think that's a good price for honey.

Also, I could have had 20 kg of dried milk powder but that is too much for the budget, so I will have 2, 2-kg packs for £15.(and something) each. It is a lightweight product so 2 kg actually goes quite far. I will have to double check prices at the supermarket to see how they compare.

Edited to add: EEEK!!! :eek: I will have to cancel the milk powder order! Fortunately she hasn't placed it yet. It works out over twice the price of Tesco brand. Now I don't know if Tesco's has any additives, but even so - I'll forego the convenience of buying in bulk at that price. :)

ETA again: OK - I am such a ditz - or at least have been one this week. The honey is 3.17 kg for 17.95. I 'll stick to one bucket of it to not mess the shopkeeper about (and it's nicely sealed up in a reusable bucket) .

I'm always useful as a bad example! :D:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tesco value dried milk doesnt have any additives, well not written on the box anyway. Its just recently gone down to £1.48 for 454g, which works out 16p a pint. Thats all we're using now and its great not to have the plastic recycling too.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Tesco value dried milk has Added Vitamins A and D

Ingredients
Dried Skimmed Milk, Vitamin A, Vitamin D

Per 100g

Energy 1540kJ (365kcal)
Protein 36.1g
Carbohydrate 52.9g
sugars 52.9g
Fat 0.6g